Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: waterproofing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Talking waterproofing

im thinking about gettin the scx10 kit but dont know what electronics to put in it i was thinking along the lines of waterproofing the whole thing what would be good elecronics to do that with
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Well, for starters, this is in the wrong section.

Then, it's also a common question, and the search button will give you plenty of results.

But, I waterproofed my Honcho, so I'll help. I am still using the stock radio box, and put my receiver in a balloon and ziptied it closed before putting it in the box. I then put a bit of dielectric grease around the opening of the box, as a bit of added protection.

I'm running a waterproof Traxxas XL-5 ESC (I highly recommend it...) so no worries there. I mounted it to the radio box in the stock location

Nothing really needs to be done to the motor...

Dielectric grease and electrical tape the battery connections, just for added protection.

I still haven't completely figured out the servo. I have dielectric grease, but I wanna make sure I know what I'm doing before a servo gets fried. I'll just have to keep SEARCHing
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Do as said above. I used the TRX XL5 for a while but did not like that I was limited to 2s lipo, had no drag brake, and no lipo cutoff. I went with an FXR and have it sealed in a condom (a balloon works too). I sealed my receiver in the electronics box with clear silicon sealant. Have been fully submerged numerous times with no issues. May will say use the Traxxas 2075 servo but I suggest otherwise. The TRX servo has decent torque but they tend to burn up easily and strip gears. Hitec waterproofs almost ever single servo they make and that's what I use.

You will also want to get seom grease in the axles and switch out the stock screws to stainless.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have a hard time fitting my rx in the box without smashing the plugs where they plug into the rx. I am using spectrum sr300.
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

i am using :

ESC novak Rooster
Servo Hitec HS-5645MG
Slash waterproof box

in the traxxas receiver box fits other receivers, so is a good solution

works great so far
moldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Gettin’ back on the horse

I put everything into balloons, add zip tie, then a bunch of silicone then another zip tie, works really well, I drive a lot of my stuff like its a submarine and have never had a balloon leak.

For servos I pack the gears with marine grease, and use silicone to seal the case, anywhere there is a seam or opening.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #7

I put my Rx and winch control in a waterproof electronics box,use a WP HK servo and was using a WP XL-5 but last week it lost reverse (full reverse gave full forward and partial reverse worked sometimes) it lasted 5 months,after some searching i found this is a common problem with these esc's Time for a HH torque master WP esc
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I pulled all my electronics apart and sprayed them with liquid tape. All the gears including the servos, were treated with green waterproof grease. So far I have not had any problems. Plus, if you go with the spray vs the dip the original cases can be used for the electronics. This avoids giant boxes taking up valuable space on your rig.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

+1 the Plasti-dip or liquid tape is great, I took my mamba max apart last year and waterproofed it, It was ran in my Slash for the winter now it is in my Honcho which only plays in the water
zyphon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyphon68 View Post
+1 the Plasti-dip or liquid tape is great, I took my mamba max apart last year and waterproofed it, It was ran in my Slash for the winter now it is in my Honcho which only plays in the water
Ok so you just pull apart the case and spray liquid tape on the board, and seal the case with the liquid tape when your done.
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
RCC Addict

and void your warranty too. Sealing it in a case/balloon/condom is a better option and is guaranteed not to damage any parts?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

this is the way im plannin on doin it ima buy a traxxas 2wd slash and just use the electronics off of it and the reciver box the slash runs from 210-250 bucks and thats worth it to me becasue i get a 7-cell 3000mah battery and radio and reciver
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
I pulled all my electronics apart and sprayed them with liquid tape. All the gears including the servos, were treated with green waterproof grease. So far I have not had any problems. Plus, if you go with the spray vs the dip the original cases can be used for the electronics. This avoids giant boxes taking up valuable space on your rig.

Wes
Giant box ? Valuable space? if your reffering to my truck,the box is not giant and valuable space ,i run a dingo body so there is a ton of room under the back so i don't really know what your trippen on
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

would i need to take all these waterproofing procautions if i just wanted to ride my honcho in snow? also what about on a beach? does all the wet sand effect anything at all?
Bryan732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I would at least take some precautions for the snow. Snow melts and the electronics get hot. As far as wet sand, that is an issue too as sand gets into everything, wet or not. It's always better to be safe than sorry. One drop of water in just the right spot can fry an ESC. Everything talked about is cheap. I have a total of about 1 dollar invested into my waterproofing so............1 dollar insurance for 50 dollars plus in electronics is a pretty good deal IMHO.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

This is what I used.
Link
All my electronics fit in here,
FXR, CC BEC, Spectrum rx, and winch controller. A little E6000 and 100% water tight.

ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
This is what I used.
Link
All my electronics fit in here,
FXR, CC BEC, Spectrum rx, and winch controller. A little E6000 and 100% water tight.

Just about 10 mins ago I stopped at Radio Shack and got the 3x2x1 in that same box...hope it works and will fit the original axial Rx and light circuit thing. Took the truck out for just a minute earlier after putting the Rx in a balloon and water was inside the Rx box quickly, the truck ran for about 3-4 mins and started glitching immediately after. Gonna hopefully get this box mounted up tonight and take it back out tomorrow and see what happens.

Have any pics of how you mounted your box?? They were sold out of the 4x2x1 or I would've got it.
umop apisdn is offline   Reply With Quote