Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Tips and Tricks Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tips and Tricks Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
unbolt the motor/trans skidplate from chassis, you'll have to take off the 4 lower links too.. but then spin the whole skid around 180* and bolt it back in so the spur gear is facing forward.

Mite as well mirror the tranny while your at it..

West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #102
Rock Stacker

I read through all the tips n' tricks but i didn't see any one mention it. don't cut off the bump stops and take acouple and cut them down and put them on top of the body post mount's to eliminate the side to side "slop". simple and easy.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #103

I didn't see it mentioned so...

If you don't want to buy new tires for your brand new truck, but the flat irons don't cut it on your trails, cut every other lug off the outside edge. I alternated back and forth. made a world of difference.

kymudhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.V View Post
Wheel whells, or whatever it is called
In this photo, you can see where i placed my lower mounted battery (lipo).
Everybody uses CD spindle covers, but all the ones I had laying around were too brittle. I found Gladware throwaway sandwich-sized containers to be a perfect fit.

Each container will make two wells.

pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Everybody uses CD spindle covers, but all the ones I had laying around were too brittle. I found Gladware throwaway sandwich-sized containers to be a perfect fit.

Thats a great idea...

Sean.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cork Basher View Post
Thats a great idea...

Sean.
I'm going to do this to my SCX10
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Could we please have a side photo with the wheel off
to see how you've mounted you DIY wheel arches..

Sean.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #108
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

5 Servos?
rc crawler boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

hahaha 2 winches, 2spd trans, dig and steering im guessing?

really like the sandwich container idea, i had the same problem with my CD case attempts.
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #110
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
hahaha 2 winches, 2spd trans, dig and steering im guessing?
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cork Basher View Post
Could we please have a side photo with the wheel off
to see how you've mounted you DIY wheel arches..

Sean.
Here ya go:

It's attached at the shock hoop screw holes. I just swapped the stock flat heads out for buttonheads a couple mm longer. The wells fit this body so tight I almost don't need body pins.

Fitting tips:
DON'T PAINT until it's trimmed and do one corner at a time with the BODY MOUNTED. Unscrew the top screw from the shock, cut the container in half, and stuff it up into the wheel well location. Slide it back and forth and up and down until you find a good fit that suits the body and wheel location. Use a sharpie to mark the location of both screws at the bottom of the shock hoop. Drill the holes and mount it, then you can trace along the frame rail and mark where you want to cut the back edge so it doesn't show under your body/bumper. You might have to cut a big hole at the top to clear the shock, or you might just need one hole to pass the screw through.

I first painted with Tamiya paint for lexan, but it didn't bond with the plastic. Krylon Fusion seems to be working better.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #111
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yep!

Here ya go:

It's attached at the shock hoop screw holes. I just swapped the stock flat heads out for buttonheads a couple mm longer. The wells fit this body so tight I almost don't need body pins.

Fitting tips:
DON'T PAINT until it's trimmed and do one corner at a time with the BODY MOUNTED. Unscrew the top screw from the shock, cut the container in half, and stuff it up into the wheel well location. Slide it back and forth and up and down until you find a good fit that suits the body and wheel location. Use a sharpie to mark the location of both screws at the bottom of the shock hoop. Drill the holes and mount it, then you can trace along the frame rail and mark where you want to cut the back edge so it doesn't show under your body/bumper. You might have to cut a big hole at the top to clear the shock, or you might just need one hole to pass the screw through.

I first painted with Tamiya paint for lexan, but it didn't bond with the plastic. Krylon Fusion seems to be working better.
Thanks..
Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i jumped on the xj bandwagon and with the 1.9 ripsaw's it just didn't sit high enough with the stock scx10 shocks. i used the long shock eyelets from the wraith kit AX30092, gave me almost 1/4 inch lift. hope this helps

Axial Racing 10mm Shock Cap Parts Tree 1 #AX80033*-*Axial AX-10 Scorpion Spare Parts (ARTR, RTR, RTC, SCX-10)*-*-Spare Parts*-*The Crawlers Store LLC
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #113

I just picked up my SCX10 last night from the hobby shop. I'm brand new with this truck so this has been a great thread but I did find one thing I loved right away. I hate having loose body clips and I found a location on the rear cage with 4 small holes. They work perfect for stashing your body clips when you take them off so you don't lose them. I plan on doing the hinge mod and may leave some clips there as spares in case I lose one of the front ones.

Here is a picture to show you what I mean (not my image, thank you Google images, I added the arrows):
ieatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #114

Cut V notches in my tire foam then added 4 oz of BB's in each tire. BB's are always rolling staying in the bottom of the tire keeping the center of gravity as low to the ground as possible!!
Tyler C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler C J View Post
Cut V notches in my tire foam then added 4 oz of BB's in each tire. BB's are always rolling staying in the bottom of the tire keeping the center of gravity as low to the ground as possible!!
How do the bbs roll around the foam?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #116
Rock Stacker

Great tips around here...;)
Nuno SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

The following two tips might help someone - I waited until these were tested and proven to work well before I shared them (wish everyone would do that also - ha).

#1 - Receiver and ESC tray. I liked the way this turned out and will use the same technique when building my second SCX-10. Take the plastic lid from a tall peanut plastic container, a few zip ties and two balloons. Works superb and easy to access while providing great protection from water.

#2 - Battery placement. I use only 3S 2200 mAh batteries which seem to last "forever" and although eventually I would like to put the battery over the front axle and as low as possible, this solution works very well. This is the battery placement using only a piece of foam. Holds extremely secure and installed in "no time."

And some discoveries from my recent kit build (Dingo):
  • Here are a few build notes which are probably only relevant to the kit I'm building:
  • Page 23, step #29, I used part AX80005[1] instead of AX80032[1] shown
  • Page 23, step #29, I used part AX80005[2] instead of AX80005[4] shown
  • There are several build steps which use fasteners which are similar in size so you have to be careful. One example is on page 21, step #23 --> don't confuse the fasteners AXA0414 with AXA465.
  • Page 19, step #18 --> omit part #AX80009[5]
  • Make sure the axle bevel gears are seated by pulling them away from the transmission case after they have been inserted. You can probably use a 2mm hex to thread through the hole in the shaft to pull them down (no need to over do it - a simple tug works well).
  • Spacer required with Y-piece using 3 link suspension --> LINK
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #118

I like that lid idea. If you could find the right size of container, you could probably even route all the wires out the bottom (the hole you made) and then screw on the container. As long as you find a way to seal the wires, it would be a watertight container...

Something like this:
ieatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #119

V notches in the middle so BB's can roll. Also less foam=softer tires
Tyler C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #120

so how do you mirror the transmission exactly. I have only had my scx10 for 2 days now and have loved every second. This truck is a blast
racingranger12 is offline   Reply With Quote