Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Kit or RTR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Default Kit or RTR?

Hey guys my LHS is getting a couple of honchos in next week and Im wondering if i should get the Kit or the RTR? i have heard some Pros and Cons with both so i was just trying to get some more input? Im leaning more towards the Kit. so any input with be appreciated!
FuzzyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Rtr come with electronics you will eventually replace. Someone else built it. All you have to do is add batteries and go.

Have you already got a rx/tx servo and motor / esc? If so buy the kit and put aside a weekend to build it right. The aluminum links are a plus however you need a pair of 4 link trusses and 2x 25mm and 2x 35mm links for your uppers, as well as 2x 25-30mm m3 screws with m3 nylocks.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you enjoy building things, get the kit. It's a fun build and in the end is well worth it. The additional bonus of hex hardware and aluminum links is also nice as well as having your choice in electronics. It's more expensive to start off compared to the Rtr but you aren't buying electronics you don't want and are getting some upgrades.

Then again if you're lazy or do not enjoy workin on the truck get the Rtr.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Kit, and this is coming from a guy with RTR.
The reason I say kit is, you will endup wanting to replace all the plastic links pretty soon and if you buy the set it's around $50, the kit comes with alloy links. So far the electronics are okay, not great but drivable. You can get a radio and a motor pretty cheap, so you've only got ESC and servo left, and that's a good place to put your money.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Get the kit for sure ....I bought a rtc dingo and upgraded the motor...links ..radio..and ..esc
Cheaper to get the kit in the long run

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I got the kit (have since bought a used RTR as well) and am glad I did. But, I love putting stuff together.

If you get the kit, just realize the prices goes up from the original $240 investment. Aside from the electronics (batteries and charger, too) and radio you'll have to buy, the build will go much smoother with a set of hex drivers, lexan scissors and bore, along with the paint you'll need. I don't even want to think about how much I have into my "stock" Honcho kit.

But, in the end, both rigs will end up costing about the same as the RTR will eventually need aluminum links, probably a new servo, etc. So, if you have the time and patience, get the kit!
MarkThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #7

If you have the all the money now to get the kit and all the electronics go that route you will do it eventually why not now. I have the rtr and if I had the money when I got it I would have went kit. Its a better investment in the long run.
!$BANG$! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

i got the RTR version because i had no electronics. way i see it is i'm going to be wrenching on this thing and changing it no matter which version i got, so for me it was better to go with the RTR since i could play with it as soon as i got home instead of having to build it first. also, with all the upgrading that will eventually happen, i'll have spare electronics to build another rig
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Choose the KIT.

Place your own choose of electronics and you have the interessting build to do also.
You have the advantage of metal parts that the RTR does not have.

I have the KIT.

First care ever.
Went totaly ok!
Tim.V is offline   Reply With Quote