Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What size LiPo are you running?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I run 2200 25c 3s lipo's in my daughter's Honcho and my rigs both using Sidewinders, castle bec's and 45t motors. We get anywhere from 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours out of them.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I'm running 3s 1500 with a hobbywing brushless set up 1200 outrunner.
on a trail drive last weekend got about 2 1/2hours out of a single charge.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Running 4200nimh around 2hours tops 45t hpi,965mg hitec,sc xp200 team associated esc with lipo cutoff..just bought a new lipo today 5800 30c 2s should give me more than 4hours I'm hoping
gymjunkie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by motur View Post
Like I said "It depends on your electronics." Brushless motors are going to run cooler than brushed. But in my experience more power creates more heat. It also depends on the ESC settings like drag brake. In some cases you might be right. There are a lot of things to consider. Small batteries on monster electronics will probably have the same effect as monster batteries with small electronics.
That really depends on many factors and is absolutely untrue in a blanket statement like that.

First a higher C rate battery is more desirable because it is more efficient and delivers more consistent power under load. Your battery stays cooler and provides consistent power and current. Since all ESC's basically switch voltage on and off and use peak voltage at all times only the amps vary. Having consistency means the FET's in the ESC are not working as hard thus they run cooler. This means ESC's actually run the most efficient at full throttle where the FET's are just passing the power straight through and do not have to do any switching. If the FET does not get the power it wants it makes it's job harder, creating more heat.

As far as more power is concerned heat is only the byproduct of loss, which can be bad, 1 watt or 1000 watts. The most efficient system in large creates the least amount of heat. A more efficient system guarantees more run time and longer lasting electronics regardless of power.

If a higher powered system is the most efficient, you will have less heat and better results. Everything has to be in balance.

In fact for most high powered RC applications higher voltages and lower amp rates are most desirable since they create less heat and are more efficient creating the same amount of power.

In using sub par batteries with an ESC you can expose your ESC to ripple current, which can and will damage the ESC quicker than over volting it.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
That really depends on many factors and is absolutely untrue in a blanket statement like that.

First a higher C rate battery is more desirable because it is more efficient and delivers more consistent power under load. Your battery stays cooler and provides consistent power and current. Since all ESC's basically switch voltage on and off and use peak voltage at all times only the amps vary. Having consistency means the FET's in the ESC are not working as hard thus they run cooler. This means ESC's actually run the most efficient at full throttle where the FET's are just passing the power straight through and do not have to do any switching. If the FET does not get the power it wants it makes it's job harder, creating more heat.

As far as more power is concerned heat is only the byproduct of loss, which can be bad, 1 watt or 1000 watts. The most efficient system in large creates the least amount of heat. A more efficient system guarantees more run time and longer lasting electronics regardless of power.

If a higher powered system is the most efficient, you will have less heat and better results. Everything has to be in balance.

In fact for most high powered RC applications higher voltages and lower amp rates are most desirable since they create less heat and are more efficient creating the same amount of power.

In using sub par batteries with an ESC you can expose your ESC to ripple current, which can and will damage the ESC quicker than over volting it.
x2
goofylundeen is offline   Reply With Quote