Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First Upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Default First Upgrade

How about some ideas for the first upgrade to my SCX10?
campboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Depends on what you are using the rig for. If you are trying to get more wheeling performance out of the rig.

The 2 greatest upgrades for me after almost 2 years of tinkering with my FJ:

1 ~ 4oz of weight per front wheel to start...
2 ~ Overdrive unit installed (with the weights) in the front. This helps to pull you over the top of an obstacle because the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear.

Other upgrades:

3s Lipo batteries!!!!!!!!
Upgraded motor 45-55T at least.
Upgraded ESC (goat, rooster..I have the sidewinder and hate it)....that will take the 11.1v of a 3s battery.
BEC that puts out 6v(if yours does not).
Servo that has at least 200 oz torque or more. (I have the Hitec 645 and hate it! My rig is 7.5 pounds though...lol)
Hand Bros. kit to put servo on the chassis( i made my own brackets and such)

That's a good start for a wish list. Now do some research here. It's all been done and documented.

Good Luck

CH
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd also reccomend the Tekin FXR ESC it's crawler specific and has many features..and I love it...and you can buy it in a combo pack with either a 35t 45t or a 55t Motor for $120 I think...

currently I"m running a Traxxas 2075 Srvo (Waterproof) but i'll get a new one when this one gives....probably soemthing with MG or even Ti gears...

3s LiPo is a MUST I run a 2200Mah 30c and got lots of wheelspeed and power...

Hand Bros Kit is a nice thing to have....takes the servo off the axle and gives you a bit more room for the axle and suspension...

and if you have the TR (trail Ready) version...upgrade to aluminum links....plastic ones will twist and flex under torque
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

if you have an esc with a voltage cutoff, get a lipo. i use either an 1800mah or 2000mah 2s and get over 90 minutes of run time with a 55t motor. if you don't have an esc with lipo cut-off and instantaneous reverse/decent drag brake, people seem to love the fxr - and the thing is tiny! - but i have a sidewinder which is a little bigger since i don't want to pay for another esc/computer link. the holmes esc might be worth looking into, also.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #5

Default Upgrade

Whoa, I understood some of that, time to do some research.
Sounds like MORE POWER is the name of the game and then putting it on the ground.
thanks
campboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by campboy View Post
Whoa, I understood some of that, time to do some research.
Sounds like MORE POWER is the name of the game and then putting it on the ground.
thanks

I run the 3s 35t combo with *i think* a 14t pinion and the stock Axial spur gear...plenty of torque and wheelspin...and I find the stock tires seem to work...though I may upgrade eventually or just modify the current ones i have...as the stock ones arn't the best but they work..with modifications.

and yes the FXR is tiny..not even a 1" square footprint...can be put almost anywhere...as well it's got a 12 step (I beleive) drag brake. LiPo cut off and a bunch of other nice features...

I don't think it's possible to have too much power in a crawler..lol

but IMO don't go lower then a 35t motor as anything less won't have much power/torque...but it'll have more speed....or if you want crazy amounts of torque go with a puller motor.
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote