Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SXC10 Build w/o Electronics, Then Add Later?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SXC10 Build w/o Electronics, Then Add Later?

So I have a newb-ish question that I am wondering if you all can advise me on, as I am new to Axial and the SXC10, but not RC. My question is that tomorrow I am picking up the Honcho kit as well as a new Spektrum radio, but I won’t have my HH TorqueMaster esc for a week or two. Will I be ok building the truck kit without the esc to put in it right away and adding it later? Or, should I wait and just build the truck when I have all the electronics to put in as I build? Any help or advice is welcome! Thanks!
Chachi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Go ahead and build it, I always install my electronics last. I don't think I could have a kit sitting there for a week without building it. Good choice on your ESC too.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

x2 all will be fine.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Build the truck and then install the electronics when you get them...
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Great, thanks for the help guys. I figured that is what I could do, but with my limited knowledge of the SXC10, I thought I had better ask the guys that know. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to tear it back down half way to install the electronics once it was built. But you are right cave-man, I don't think I could stand it with the kit just sitting there. I want to start tinkering with it right away! Again, thanks for the help!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Take your time building the kit and look through here for some stock mods to do along the way. Also search for building the stock shocks because built incorrectly the work poorly, built correctly they are hard to beat.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Build it, then you can just look at it built and do some poser shots. Also wiring it will be easier.
hanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Take your time building the kit and look through here for some stock mods to do along the way. Also search for building the stock shocks because built incorrectly the work poorly, built correctly they are hard to beat.
Cool, thanks for the tips. I have been doing some reading and research and have come across a couple of things to do such as remove the shock bumpers (I am drawing a blank at what they are called!), but I will continue to search for other tips too. I am not too worried about the shocks as I have always taken pride with the job I did building and rebuilding my other RC vehicle's shocks. I can't wait to get this thing, and tomorrow afternoon I will have it in hand. Looking forward to building something too! My last couple of vehicles have been, dare I say....RTR! My E-Revo Brushless Edition came pre-built as all Traxxas rigs do!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Enjoy your build. I did, Axial did a great job with these kits. They go together smooth and it's really a fun build.

Also if you get stuck looking for your headlight buckets....they are with the body...molded in the sheet at the front, that one threw me for a loop lol. Almost threw them away.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

OK, picked up my Honcho today at the LHS! Woo hoo! Well, instead of going with the HH TorqueMaster, I ended up with a Novak Goat 3s system. The owner made me a pretty good deal on it for me so it was hard to pass up. Now, I get to start building! The one thing I am nervous about and may have the LHS step in and assist, is the soldering of the esc. I really don't trust my soldering skills, especially on a spendy piece of electronics!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi_RC View Post
OK, picked up my Honcho today at the LHS! Woo hoo! Well, instead of going with the HH TorqueMaster, I ended up with a Novak Goat 3s system. The owner made me a pretty good deal on it for me so it was hard to pass up. Now, I get to start building! The one thing I am nervous about and may have the LHS step in and assist, is the soldering of the esc. I really don't trust my soldering skills, especially on a spendy piece of electronics!
Pre-tin the wires and esc and you will be fine!
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Good luck on the build. My goat came wired to the ESC, it's the 2s. Just have to do the battery. I love the Novak stuff but a bit large. Ended up with a FXR couse of the size and it fits right into a radio shack project box to water proof it.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Ugh guys, I am having a hard time here. Not with the build, but with deciding if I want to go with this Goat 3s system that I got. I haven't opened it yet, and could take it back, and the LHS does carry Tekin and Castle too. I have just started reading about the Goat 3s, and I am truly having a hard time finding a good review.

A little backgroung.....I am used to Castle (Mamba Monster) and brushless. I liked the thought of the Goat 3s combo because it was brushless, but the reviews of the esc don't sound too hot.

So, Castle has great products, but is there something that really works well for a scale crawler (drag break, etc)? How about a motor?

Tekin....the FXR sounds sweet. But how are the brushed motors? I went away from brushed motors for the brushless because the performance was wonderful, and there was so little maintenance with them.

Maybe I am over thinking this, and the Goat 3s will be fine. Maybe not. I am not the kind of person to do something on a whim especially when $ is involved, but I got caught up in it today with the Goat. Sorry to just be all over the place here guys, but I just want to do it right the first time. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

You know I too have seen bad reviews on the 3s. But Novak stands behind there stuff. Ultimately it is your rig and you will have to run it. Go with what your happy with.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I am running the Speed Passion Cirtix Rhino Brushless rock crawler setup. It is great, you can program it from your PC and it also has a separate program box for when you are on the rocks and need to change a setting.

"The custom 30.5t Rhino brushless motor gives the perfect 1000kv for any crawling application. Brutal torque, great speed when needed and the precision control that only a sensored motor can provide."

And you can't beat the price, it is under $100 for the motor, esc and program box......

I also have video of my SCX10 Honcho with the setup installed on youtube...

http://www.rcracer.com/rock-crawling...-crawler-combo

http://www.speedpassion.net/en/highl...tails.asp?h=14
Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Hmmm, the Speed Passion combo that you mentioned does interest me. I'll have to look into it. Did you say you had some videos of it dragon? My LHS doesn't carry it of course, but to get what I want, I may have to just return the Goat rather than exchange it.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Hey Chachi_RC, where is Oregon are you located? Here is a link to my youtube videos.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBnATiZjT8Q

Last edited by t9dragon; 09-20-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
Hey Chachi_RC, where is Oregon are you located?
Thanks for the vid dragon! I am in Corvallis myself, how about you? My LHS is in Salem though....RC PLus. Great, great guys there. I am just starting my build on my Honcho and picked everything up yesterday afternoon, and got the Goat 3s there as well. I am just torn on what to do. I have read more reviews, and some people really like it, while others don't. I may just run it for a while, and if I decide I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it and recover a good portion of my costs. Thanks again for the vid!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

You'll find that with any electonic kits (FXR, Goat 2s/3s, Castle Creations Sidewinder/ Mamba Max) people will have different opinions, just really depends what your looking for. I currently have all the ones I listed. I like the Goat combos. You can change the motor stator to give a different turn on your motors (if you have the Ballistic motors) I think the Goat 3s can handle up to a 13.5t brushless.

Last edited by Tedro; 09-16-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Tedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Chachi, get the HH ESC and be done with it. It's made by castle and backed by John, what more can you want. It's a beast, and I do not recommend brushless for a scaler since you will went to get it wet and muddy. Holmes has some his selling pretty cheap that he messed up the epoxy waterproofing on, you could just put it in a balloon. The goat system is outdated and not the great for anything. I have a tekin FXR which is nice but I still prefer Castle hands down. The FXR is still too limited for me.