Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Lambert's Honcho - Brand new to this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lambert's Honcho - Brand new to this.

Hey guys.

Brand new to this side of the hobby.. Thus far i have been into 1/8th scale racing ( Losi 8ights/T ). Recently my wife and I had twin girls ( 3 weeks ago ) on top of our already 2 year old daughter.

So with the race season winding down, and the need for MUCH more testosterone in the house I went out and picked up a Honcho. Being that I have no idea what I am doing here, however knew i needed something much slower and usable around the house to try and get more enjoyment with my daughter as she loves when i work on my RC and drive them just they have always been too loud or fast for her to be around, I decided to pick up what most say is a trail proven kit.

So again bare with me, I am trying to learn as I go. If you happen to see something I have done wrong please feel free to point it out to me.

Picked up the honcho Kit and currently will use some old stuff i have kicking around for now.

Hightec servo 645mg I believe
Spectrum RX with my DX3R
Traxxas XL5 ESC
Traxxas Titan 12T
4500 mah nimh, i do have a number of 2S lipos 5200mah.
Couple of old LEDs

Now I know i need to replace the ESC, I am not doing comp crawling or anything like that, just some backyard beating on it with my daughters... Messing with it at the local parks while she plays or going for walks in our local forest. So i am going to pick up a crawler ESC just to get some drag brake as messing with it today its very jerky and spends much of it time flipped over.. lol

We have all seen build shots, but here are a few as i go, again if someone see's something i messed up on or should have changed please let me know.

I went with a basic silver paint inside, my plan is go paint it more custom outside to give that matt look and as paint is scraped off it will show the silver. also was in a rush to get something done so i could go play

michael_lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Honcho looks good what are some future plans for it?
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGT201 View Post
Honcho looks good what are some future plans for it?
Honesty i have no idea. Thinking a nice big beefy body for it lots of lights... Just make it scream look at me

I am not big ( Yet ) into the crawling scene so i have not really don't much with it however the XL5 ESC does seem jerky while trying to do anything slower so maybe something like a Sidewinder to put in some brake drag might be in order.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

everyone uses different setups but you can go wrong with the Tekin FX-R esc with the Tekin 35T motor. Im pretty new at Crawlers. to get Ideas just do what I do and go through the threads on here. you can get a ton of ideas.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the site... a lot of tips & tricks you'll find on the board . . . Congratulations on becoming another honcho owner lol BTW I think your rocksliders are mounted backwards lol not sure if that was international but over all great rig.. I don't know a lot about Rc talk, but I think you should ditch the 12t & go with a 45t . . . I think your still stuck with the racing... crawlers ain't made for speed lol also for more flexibility remove the bumb stops from the shocks if you didn't do so already also add some wheel weight so your rig can do some sick crawling
toyotaexo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaexo88 View Post
Welcome to the site... a lot of tips & tricks you'll find on the board . . . Congratulations on becoming another honcho owner lol BTW I think your rocksliders are mounted backwards lol not sure if that was international but over all great rig.. I don't know a lot about Rc talk, but I think you should ditch the 12t & go with a 45t . . . I think your still stuck with the racing... crawlers ain't made for speed lol also for more flexibility remove the bumb stops from the shocks if you didn't do so already also add some wheel weight so your rig can do some sick crawling
Thanks guys.

- Rockliders, What are they .. lol Are they the running board looking things?

- Motor, I do plan on swapping out the motor, just using that one for now as its what i had, However it is a 12T 550 can so its not horrible.

- Shocks, Bump stops are they the rubber inserts that came with it that slide over the shaft?

- Weights, Stopping today to pick some self aheasive weights up. Wish i had before i assembled the beadlocks.. lol man they where a pain in the butt! Ideally how much weight should i be looking at adding?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

yeah the rock sliders are the running boards

YEah the bump stops are the little rubber things on the shaft. I didnt even install mine. gives the suspension more flex. just cut them off and youll be good.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Good looking truck Lambert! I am in a similar boat actually. Kids at home, winter time, used to play with the fast stuff, but now am giving a shot at scale crawling. My Honcho is almost together, and soon I'll post some pics too. Keep us posted on changes and progress!

Threadjack - - - - Wheel weights. I know ProLine makes some, but is that what people are using? I though I read somewhere that some people are actually sticking 1:1 wheel weights on their trucks, is that right? If so, how much weight?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Chachi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi_RC View Post
Threadjack - - - - Wheel weights. I know ProLine makes some, but is that what people are using? I though I read somewhere that some people are actually sticking 1:1 wheel weights on their trucks, is that right? If so, how much weight?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....
I got my Dad to "borrow" some from his work (he's a mechanic), I have 1 full wrap + 3 bars of 1/4 oz weights on each wheel, some people use more, some use less. It's really up to you and how you want it to perform or to what works best.

Anyways, the truck looks great, nice colour for it as well.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Got it out on some rocks

Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_lambert View Post
however the XL5 ESC does seem jerky while trying to do anything slower so maybe something like a Sidewinder to put in some brake drag might be in order.
The jerky is more likely from the 12t Titan than the esc. A slower motor should help. You'll probably need a new motor soon anyway, Titans are famous for burning out early. Terrible brush design.

If you are tight for $ and you have an old cordless drill, you could always rob the motor out of that. They are usually 35t+. I used one from a 12v Craftsman drill whose packs had died to build a slow bandit for my nephew.
runout_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

the lowest i would go on the motor is a 27t. I run a integi 35t with the same esc and it works great.
Eric Layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Oh and btw ur rock sliders are upside down.
Eric Layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Rig looks great man!
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys,

Going with a higher turn motor was on my list of things to do... I was just worried the ESC would not handle it.. But i guess it should.. I will stop today and see what my local hobby store has in stock for 35+ turn motors. I also have a couple of 3s lipos i would like to use however i know the XL5 is not rated for it.

also will be picking up some Wheel weights, fixing the Rock sliders.. lol and going to look at moving that receiver case, i have a few old traxxas boxes from my slash's which are water tight i would like to try and use.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Just some video to show it running.. lol My daughter loves it the motor is fast, and i knew it would never make it up the slide it was just entertainment for my daughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLm4xMGPQRQ
Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Great pics man!
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Welcome to the board. My wife and I have twin girls (they'll be 3 in December) and we have another girl on the way. My Honcho helps keep me sane. My girls love helping me work on my crawler and whenever I bring it out they say "drive it daddy". I think it's awesome that my girls are interested in R/C, at least for now. Good looking Honcho, just wheel the crap out of it now!
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys,

Stopping by the LHS tonight on my way home and seeing what they have for a 45+T motor.. And i am thinking i might toss in my Mamba Monster ESC into this thing.. I have a few of them from my 1/8th scale racing supplies i know they are a little larger in size but i think i can find a place for it and it would provide all the power i could ever need, let me run my 3S lipos, let me add brake drag and adjust my throttle curves.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Did a little work.. lol

Picked up a Axial 55T Motor, Metal steering knuckles and a HS-5645MG servo... Almost double the torque so thats a good start.

A couple of new shots.. Playing with my daughters building blocks.. lol She made daddy a ramp.