Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Another SCX Desert style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Another SCX Desert style

Well picked up another project for someone and figured Id post some pics along the way. I was told he wanted this thing to be durable enough for a 5yr old to drive it with their eyes closed so I assumed he ment he didnt plan on lifting off the throttle.

After I got his Honcho and some direction to what he wanted I started getting the solid rod ready. I decided it was time to learn some welding since I wanted to be sure he didnt break a joint.

After hacking up a clod body he gave me and give the nose a dove look I got started. (Yes the joints are messy but I had plans to clean those up.)

After some dremeling and filing on the joints she was ready for a quick sandblasting in prep for some brazing to clean the joints appearance.

Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

After a couple days I got the frame back from another sandblasting ans powder coating. I was shocked at his choice on the powder coating, he chose to do it in clear coat.

First I never knew you could do that and second I thought it looked different. He did a great job on the clear coat, I think it really accents the roughness of the truck and was super super smooth.

Different but why follow the norm ........

Well thats all the pics for now, battery died but Ive got the electronics back in it and and working the lighting system up. After that its on to the fun of body work ........

Just thought Id share ........ Thanks for looking.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Hateraide

Looks really good, and yeah we powdercoat alot of things clear its nice to see the rear work and be smooth
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

looks great so far Bob! really liking those twin vertical spares
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

man that thing is awsome looking i cant wait to get mine . id like to go the same way with mine so i hope you dont mind if i use some of your ideas . keep the pics coming
USAF-offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default truck

looks awesome rob!!! another great build out of the dungeon!
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default truck

ya Rob, i wasnt sure how the clear was gonna come out but when it was done baking and had that "wet" look i was syked. ive done so many things standard colors i figured id expand and see.
this truck is goin towards the desert/koh/ttc rig so im goin dull colors and low bling. but coldnt resist the losi beadlocks. (they might b powdercoated black/black in the near future.
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Well picked up another project for someone and figured Id post some pics along the way. I was told he wanted this thing to be durable enough for a 5yr old to drive it with their eyes closed so I assumed he ment he didnt plan on lifting off the throttle.

After I got his Honcho and some direction to what he wanted I started getting the solid rod ready. I decided it was time to learn some welding since I wanted to be sure he didnt break a joint.

After hacking up a clod body he gave me and give the nose a dove look I got started. (Yes the joints are messy but I had plans to clean those up.)

After some dremeling and filing on the joints she was ready for a quick sandblasting in prep for some brazing to clean the joints appearance.

first off killer tube work . im looking to get a scx-10 with the toyota tundra body once i return home after my deployment and i was wondering what you would charge me to basicly do a bumper to bumper with a eng cage roll cage bed cage ( id like to set up the bed just llike the trophy trucks with just the bed sides ) . also im stationed overseas in spain so i dont know if you do overseas orders but id be willing to cover all shipping charges as well as send you my body and fram for the truck . thank you for your time
Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF-offroad View Post
first off killer tube work . im looking to get a scx-10 with the toyota tundra body once i return home after my deployment and i was wondering what you would charge me to basicly do a bumper to bumper with a eng cage roll cage bed cage ( id like to set up the bed just llike the trophy trucks with just the bed sides ) . also im stationed overseas in spain so i dont know if you do overseas orders but id be willing to cover all shipping charges as well as send you my body and fram for the truck . thank you for your time
Why must you quote every picture?

Also - he is not a vendor, so no asking about jobs.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Why must you quote every picture?

Also - he is not a vendor, so no asking about jobs.

sorry my appolgies
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

That is some great tube work. What wheels are those? I don't recall seeing those before.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking chassis. Definitely desert style, especially the spare rack. I'm imagining a PC fan mounted in the middle of the cage, wired up so it really spins when you're under power.

Clear powdercoat? I did'nt know that was possible either. This thing must have some pretty joints. I usually have an imperfection or two that I'll fill in w/ epoxy putty and then hide under some paint!

I would have worked longer rear shocks into the design personally. Like Savage shocks or something, with the upper mounts up inside the cage so the shocks stick out above the bed...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-28-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
~THE SCALE SHOP~

kick ass! i LOVE it!
man those spares are so far back from the cab! looks like a limo ;)
but havent seen it with rear fenders so maybe that will tie it all together

killer rig
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

really like where this is going keep it up.
S ARR T 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Killer build!
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
RCC Addict

agreed...KILLER BUILD!!
gawd i wish i could do this crap for my self! ugh

SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

This thing looks awsome! Do you think that the spare tires are going to get hung up? I did this and had them way out there also, and I use to get hung up when I ran 1.9 on it all the time. Had to shorten it a bit, but yours looks incredible. The dual tire rack is the bomb.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote