Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RCBros Honcho rear leaf kit issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default RCBros Honcho rear leaf kit issue

A couple weeks back I decided to convert my Honcho into a commanche. I bought the body, interior, floor pan etc and slapped some more fitting 1.5s onto my rig. I also wanted a realistic suspension setup so I converted the front to a handbro's 3 link set up to the servo would be chassis and mounted and the panhard bar gives the real cherocar/commanche look from the front.

I also ordered the RCBro's rear leaf spring set up and I attempted to install that tonight...thats where my issue is now...the Wheel base is OFF pretty badly...and now that I am looking on the install instructions on the website it looks like the WB is actually shortened when converting the rear to leaf spring use. When using the Taco/Honcho body and cage this isnt a problem but since I am using a body with bed sides its an issue...

I dont know if I am missing something, I dont think I am...here is are pictures for reference

Only way I could see making this work is if I maybe found someone who shortened a frame and welded those excess pcs on to the rear to move the shackle back...and then I am not sure if the front hanger will work or it my pinion angle will be ok.

At this point, I am bit frustrated
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

I would say lengthen the frame, but the truck is pretty sweet! 1.5's look nice
Paint Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

I was looking at the shackle and the frame ends right after it and the bed extends way further ( not like the 1:1 truck frame). I don't know if you can move the whole body forward, cause it looks like the front axle is too far forward a tad?? Just my thought... Good luck
Paint Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

I am pretty new too this so I can not speak from experience, but I agree with the previous post that the body needs to move forward and you need to extend the rear of the frame. You could use some brass rectangular tubing maybe to extend the frame, brazed or bolted in to the C channel frame. It looks like the frame is about 1.5 inch short. Body and wheels look great. Hope you find a suitable solution!
rcwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Are the Red RC4WD springs longer than the ones you are using? I notice that RC Bros's uses the RC4WD Red's...
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

leafs shortened my wb by a good 1/4" im my case it wasn't such an issue, I also ditched the straight shackles for a homemade dogleg shackle which allowed me to gain some back

Last edited by slobin3d; 10-21-2010 at 12:16 AM.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwannabee View Post
I am pretty new too this so I can not speak from experience, but I agree with the previous post that the body needs to move forward and you need to extend the rear of the frame. You could use some brass rectangular tubing maybe to extend the frame, brazed or bolted in to the C channel frame. It looks like the frame is about 1.5 inch short. Body and wheels look great. Hope you find a suitable solution!
x2

Body needs to come fwd a little bit. rear will have to be pushed out.

I think you need to build a unibody anyways. Since they are unibody with a sub frame rear. just kiddin.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
"HOLLYWOOD"

Like the other post bodys gotta come foward, you can always move the front mount of the leaf's back a bit you might need to drill 2 extra holes but that should also push your rear back a bit.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

How about lengthening the frame in the middle like in the following link (just not as much), that way the front hangers stay at the correct geometry and the rear gets extended as needed.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272685
mfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Sinking with the ship

Well the body cant be moved, I spent way to much time painting/detailing it and it sucks that it has holes in it already but I have learned my lessons with velcro. The rear body mount holes were the STOCK holes from when it was a tacomer. Lengthening the frame in the middle wont work because they will throw off the body mounts as well...

I think I am just going to go back to 4 link...this is suppose to be a simple yet scale truck. I guess at this point just let it be a lesson learned that if you want to run leafs with the commanche body on a Honcho set up you cannot do it with out extensive modifications
Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Im wondering if the scx10 frame is longer than a honcho? not sure about the legnth of the honco but u might see if the kit is for the scx 10 not the honcho?

I just measured my scx 10 frame and from the middle of the rear shock tower bolt to the end of the frame is 2in..ur's looks shorter...
josh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
09 RCA champ!

what leafs are you using?
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
RcBros Hobbies

1Badjeep- The problem is that the difference from the honcho and SCX10 is that the honcho links in the rear are simply longer, not the frame itself. I believe it to be my fault as it never dawned on me that this would occur until now.

You have a pm.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh97 View Post
Im wondering if the scx10 frame is longer than a honcho? not sure about the legnth of the honco but u might see if the kit is for the scx 10 not the honcho?

I just measured my scx 10 frame and from the middle of the rear shock tower bolt to the end of the frame is 2in..ur's looks shorter...
Frame is the same, links are just longer. I also realized once I put the floor pan back in that lengthen the rear part of the frame would require hacking into the floor plan as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
what leafs are you using?
They were RC4WD leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
1Badjeep- The problem is that the difference from the honcho and SCX10 is that the honcho links in the rear are simply longer, not the frame itself. I believe it to be my fault as it never dawned on me that this would occur until now.

You have a pm.
I got your PM and I appreciate that I hope you dont think I started this thread to beat up on you, that is not my intention. For what its worth, I would update your site to note this issue that if you plan to run a body such as this one which is designed to fit the Honcho that the rear leaf kit will not be compatible without extensive modifications.

-Mike
Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
09 RCA champ!

have you thought about re-drilling the leafs ....or.... only using one bolt in the rear hole on the leaf and on the front hole on the axle? should flex better at least...
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have no experience with these leafs but are the holes to mount it to the axle in the center or are they offset to one side? If they r offset you could just flip them and it should put the axle further back... I know some 1:1 leafs r like that, but idk about these... Or like the post above says just redrill the hole back a little ways.
jeeper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:05 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
have you thought about re-drilling the leafs ....or.... only using one bolt in the rear hole on the leaf and on the front hole on the axle? should flex better at least...

I tried that trick with my Honcho & ended up bending the springs

It's a really good kit I just think for the Honcho it needs a little rethink
MostlyBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
RcBros Hobbies

Can't do nothing about the rear wheelbase unless they provide a longer frame. Sorry guys. Leaf springs are killer but are for sure rig specific just like the real ones.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote