Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Ready to purchase, need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ready to purchase, need some advice

I was ready to pick up my new SCX10 last weekend, and I was reading alot about RTRs and Kits. I am not new to R/Cs, but I am a noob to R/C crawlers. I have a slash 4x4 with mamba monster 2650, complete RPM suspention parts, bumpers, ect, crazy rig. I also have a 1:1 '94 wrangler that is trail ready that my dad and I built, so I know how this all works. I dont want a comp crawler, thats why I am choosing the SCX10, and I like the scale aspect. I just want a decent rig that will climb rocks and survive in water and pretty much handle what i can throw at it. From all Ive read, the RTR SCX10, I like the Honcho, would be perfect for me (with some electronics mods for waterproofing). But I had a few questions.

1. What are some good mods that will help preformance and my wallet. Ive heard about the Hand Bros steering kit, and proline shocks, and upgrading to metal links instead of plastic stock ones. Im fine with upgrading parts, thats what I did on my Slash.
2. I have a waterproof stock Traxxas Slash 4x4 ESC, and servo from my other R/C, would those work? I have a canal right behind my house and there are some real good wet rocky places to crawl. I heard somewhere that the stock SCX10 motor isnt waterproof, but some have had no problems with it in water.

Thats all I got so far, sorry for the long intro, I just want to make sure I do it right. please leave comments, questions, tips and hints, Thanks.
flascx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I put l my stock slash 4x4 electrronics in my trail ready dingo. One thing you should pay attention to before u buy the honcho is what body you want to put on it and it's wheelbase because it can be costy to keep changing links. In my trail ready box it had parts tree to do either 11.4 or 12.3 wheelbases in plastic. The only thing besides water proofing I have done to my truck is 4 link front and rear and remove the bump stops out of the shocks and move the battery right behind the spur gear for a lower center of gravity. Oops I forgot I added down rigger wire lead wieght to my rims.
Tom_Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

i got the TR honcho kit as it was the longer wheelbase at 12.4" and i made new links to replace the plastic ones only cost around $25 for them. i did stretch the wheelbase a little longer to fit a 4door jeep body i got. I think the hand bro. steering kit is more for looks than any real performace upgrade (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but some better shock i think are a good investment, they will be the next thing I upgrade
Jeeper2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

IMHO the kit is the best way to go. that way you build the truck so you better know it and how to tear it apart. also get to add your own electronics that youll replace anyways later on.
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

im runnin the slash 4x4 esc with an axial 55t motor and i love it on the rocks. i am curious about how you would waterproof the motor though?
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #6

Default waterproof the motor

You don't waterproof the brushed motors, they don't mind the water. After you run them in the water you need to get the water out and lubricate them. Brushed motors can be run in a glass of water for break-in.

As to the kit or TR discussion, there are good reasons for both. If you are tight on cash - TR. If you have a radio and electronics to use - kit. I got the TR because for $40 more I felt the TR was a better deal. I am going to make my own links anyway and that is the main difference between the kit and TR (other than electronics). The kit would be fun to build, but there is the cost and time to paint the body.

As to upgrades, HB kits is for scale appearance. Weight the tires. Waterproof the radio box and run the heck out of it till something needs to be replaced!

Have fun.
rcwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #7

Default Where In Ontario Are You From?? I Need Good Spots To Crawl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwannabee View Post
You don't waterproof the brushed motors, they don't mind the water. After you run them in the water you need to get the water out and lubricate them. Brushed motors can be run in a glass of water for break-in.

As to the kit or TR discussion, there are good reasons for both. If you are tight on cash - TR. If you have a radio and electronics to use - kit. I got the TR because for $40 more I felt the TR was a better deal. I am going to make my own links anyway and that is the main difference between the kit and TR (other than electronics). The kit would be fun to build, but there is the cost and time to paint the body.

As to upgrades, HB kits is for scale appearance. Weight the tires. Waterproof the radio box and run the heck out of it till something needs to be replaced!

Have fun.
Where in Ontario are you from??
ianpurdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I would recommend the kit. It has some better parts and you do not waste the money on the electronics that will soon get swapped out. Get a Hitek 645mg servo for about $35. Steel outputs for the transmission ($15-$25). And the multi pack of Traxxas long shafts ($10). That puts you about the cost of the RTR but you have a much better servo. Metal links due to the kit. Stronger and 6 extra complete sets of driveshafts. I would use the XL-5 speed controll (I have it in one of mine and it works great for general use with wetness thrown in). All you need is a motor and radio which you probably already have, at least the radio. Not much more money then the RTR and you are way better off. Plus you get the fun of building it. It is a very easy kit to put together.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I love my Honcho! If you're buying the TR & you already have electronics, I'd replace the stock motor 1st with either a 45 or 55 turn motor.

Although I've upgraded mine with Aluminum links, HB steering, & a bunch of other stuff, the stock plastic parts all held up fine for a long time!
papakev01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #10

Default Where in Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpurdy1 View Post
Where in Ontario are you from??
I am from Keswick. About an hour North of Toronto.
rcwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I love when the search button works! Thanks for answering a ? lol
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, esc, honcho, scx10, servo