Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 4-link and link lengths questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Question 4-link and link lengths questions

Hello everyone, first post here.
Let me start by saying that I have spent hours searching under various terms and phrases; and reading on the net at large and on these forums on these very questions but I do not feel I have found answers or info that sufficiently answers them. I really haven't found anyone asking the same exact questions either. So here we go...

I am looking to setup the 4-link on my Scx10 TR Dingo. It's my first scale crawler it's amazingly capable and fun and I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that already. I'm a bit surprised to find that Axial doesn't have any mention/instructions for the 4-link in the TR manual (despite including SOME of the parts needed to set it up) let alone none on their site.

I was able to figure out through reading and my own measurements that with my stock lower links 115mm ctr to ctr of the ball links, I need upper links of 98mm ctr to ctr.

I am wondering what pushrods and or turnbuckles from say traxxas or hpi etc work well as links?

By chance I realized my summit's/revo's suspension pushrods were nearly identical ctr to ctr as my lower links, maybe 2mm longer. I did fit up a set that were previously used but as such they didn't articulate as smoothly due to the wear on the ball links. I have ordered a fresh set to try out though. My discovery led me to the internet where I was able to find a couple of mentions of these pushrods on Scx10s but nothing that actually talked about if they work well or not or if they can just be simply bolted on or do you need to consider anything else in order to use them?

Through my research I found mentions of both traxxas jato turnbuckles and hpi savage front turnbuckles being used for upper links. I can't find measurements that I am certain of though. Tower Hobbies for example had mm based measurements of most of theses parts but I can't tell if they are end to end including threads or not and if they have links included are they end to end of the links including the ball ends or are they ctr to ctr of the balls? Again I found no mentions of how they actually work or if anything else had to be considered before use.

Are there any other types of pushrods/turnbuckles that can pull double-duty as Scx10 links?

Any experience that can be relayed or insight on these questions or otherwise is greatly appreciated. I am not interested in buying Axials million piece links kit either. I am trying to keep things as budget friendly as possible so if I can avoid buying all of them to try that would be great. Yes I know RC and budget don't work well together!
T DAWGv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Revo ends are the most widely used, all the traxxas ends have thier place. All thread and brake line from there, 8-32 works great with Revo and Jato ends, 4-40 and 6-62 both work with small traxxas ends and axial ends. There's other options but links are easy and cheap to make.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I did actually pick up a 12" piece of zinc coated steel 8-32 all thread at home depot for 98¢ per the many do-it-yourself-links posts I read, so I do have that in my bag of options. I was actually looking at my traxxas rod ends for the all thread which is when I realized the pushrods should fit and thus leading to more research and this thread. The traxxas rod ends appeared bulkier but that didn't seem to be a problem while I hand-actuated the suspension but I wasn't certain they wouldn't cause an issue. I'm always looking to have as many options as I can. Thanks again and keep the info coming.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I made my links with Revo rod ends, 8-32 all thread and then sleeved it with 1/4" steel fuel line. I'm pretty sure that I'll be breaking something (or multiple things) before those links get bent lol.

Also, the most important tool you can have is a digital caliper, measures things accurately and easier as well.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #5

The digital calipers sounds like a good idea compared to my cheapo ruler. I know those can probably be expensive but the Big Lots store nearby sells digital calipers for about $15-20, think those would work well enough for my RC applications?
I have been meaning to look into fuel line as well. I would guess an auto parts store would carry that. Can I get it per foot? Any idea how much per foot?
Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
RCC Addict

My digital caliper was $15, it measures in fractions, millimeters and inches (down to the hundredth if I remember correctly).

Not sure how much the fuel line costs as I got it free since my dad is a mechanic, if anything it's only $1 or $2 a foot and you only need a couple feet of it.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote