Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: need some opinions on the axial scx10 hondo for a noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Default need some opinions on the axial scx10 hondo for a noob

I have been looking into getting into the rc crawling and 4 wheeling. I have built thousands of the 1:25 scale models and I'm getting tired of buildind bad ass trucks that all I can do is look at them. I am into making custom stuff 100% I can't stand having a carbn copy of what everyone has. The hondo looks like something I'd drive and its right in my price range. After I buy it I need it to be able to preform in stock dress for a little while because I have a 1:1 project that's in the finishing stages, that being said its aparent I'm not going to be able to just jump on a shoping spree for parts just yet. All advice on it is welcome. Thanks.
ranger-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you've already got it figured out. Just get the kit version of the Honcho if you wanna build it. Get a good 2.4 ghz radio and waterproof esc and a 35 turn motor and you'll be crawlin Honcho is a great choice.
Wasp26Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp26Jim View Post
Sounds like you've already got it figured out. Just get the kit version of the Honcho if you wanna build it. Get a good 2.4 ghz radio and waterproof esc and a 35 turn motor and you'll be crawlin Honcho is a great choice.
Agreed, I got the honcho rtr, and now I wish I would have gotten the kit. I love it, no complaints. Welcome to the site and sport!!!!
flascx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger-boy View Post
I have been looking into getting into the rc crawling and 4 wheeling. I have built thousands of the 1:25 scale models and I'm getting tired of buildind bad ass trucks that all I can do is look at them. I am into making custom stuff 100% I can't stand having a carbn copy of what everyone has. The hondo looks like something I'd drive and its right in my price range. After I buy it I need it to be able to preform in stock dress for a little while because I have a 1:1 project that's in the finishing stages, that being said its aparent I'm not going to be able to just jump on a shoping spree for parts just yet. All advice on it is welcome. Thanks.
Get The Kit man. I have got alot of rtr's and enjoyed the kit version. Just get all your parts together before you start your build I reccomend a 45t motor and 3s lipo. good speed and crawling works great in Utah and California.
goofylundeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

I'm in Ga. So I will have tons of mud and self made rock courses.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #6

So you guys are advising for me tp just get one of the kits and build it up strong and right the first time?
I'm in class now bored off my ass so I might as well get some of the research and shopping done now lol.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would definitely go for the kit rather then the rtr. It has a lot of things that many will upgrade soon anyway. And putting them together is soooo much fun. I love getting to build a new kit. The electronics that come with the rtr's are just adequate. They will get you started but you will want to upgrade all of the electronics very soon. So as soon as you do, you have paid about $50 more for a rig with less quality parts(seeing as the electronics are not being used anymore).

If you want to save even more, the base Scx10 kit has all aluminum links, etc but does not come with the side guards and bumpers, etc. But it is about $50 less then the Kit Honcho. If you may be changing the body of the Honcho then that may be the way to go. You could get a decent servo (Hitek 645mg) for less then the money saved between kits. And a few bucks more to put towards the esc and radio. Rpp hobby has a "salvage" section with pull off parts from brand new kits that could save you some $ too. I have gotten a bunch of things out of there recently.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i just trail tested my honcho today did some minor changes 110mm shock shafts with internal springs i was hittin the same lines my 2.2 would do
jrcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #9

Now if I wanted to run a winch would I need a 3 way controler?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger-boy View Post
Now if I wanted to run a winch would I need a 3 way controler?
you would just need a Transmitter/controller that has a 3rd channel with a 3 position switch (forwards, off and reverse)
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

For sure get the kit. That way you know every nut and bolt of your rig!
Tru3Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #12

There's a local hobby store I'm gonna go check out sometime, they have a good bit of nitro and electric stuff. I'm hopeung they might have a rtr store special that you can set it up how you want it for a flat rate type of thing. I know they have something like that with planes and such.