Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 35t or 45t Motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 35t or 45t Motor?

So I have had my Honcho for about 2 months now and the motor I got (Turnigy 27T Epic) is a piece of crap.... It runs fine while I am on dry land, but as soon as I get it wet going into a creek or something, it will start stalling. I will go forward and reverse, but as soon as I stop it stalls and I have to give it a little bump to get it going again. I can run it as long as I want as long as I dont Stop. If I stop again, it stalls and need to bump it to get it going... This is VERY annoying, especialy when the truck is on the other side of the creek...

Has this happended to any of you? Is there something I can do to fix this issue? I have cleaned out the burshes, sanded the comm, etc etc. when I do that it will run fine until the next time I get it wet.

So with this said (unless anyone knows what might be causing the issue) I am ready to get a new motor.

So my qeustion is... Is there a huge difference between a 35T and a 45T? I like the speed I can get with the 27T so not sure if I go down to a 45T will there be such a huge speed and torque diference.

Please recommend Motors and "T's". I am running it with a Traxxas XL5 and Traxxas Reciever.

Thanks for your comments.
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Are the brushes making good contact to the comm? I had a similar problem when I burned up my 35T Integy from too much water/mud. The brushes were just toast.. Also does it have bearings *that aren't siezed?* or bushings *that need to be oiled*? That's all that I can think of.

As far as 35T vs 45T.. I have a 45T Integy in my Honcho running 20T pinion gear and it crawls super slow and is very very smooth.. This is with a Tekin FX-R though. With 8.4V NiMH it's got a good burst of quick acceleration to get me out of trouble but fore pure speed obviously it's quite the turtle.

My Other SCX-10 the base kit model I'm running an XL-5 ESC and 35T Integy with 19T pinion on same battery wheel speed is a lot better but low speed crawling is a little compromised.. It's a little jittery but will crawl when I need it to. I'm going to upgrade this truck with a Holmes Hobbies handwound at some point, but it'll never see deep water or mud with such a nice motor in it.

I guess it depends on how much wheel speed you really need or want.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i dont know what kind of money ur wanting to spend but i burneed up a 15t hpi motor and a 55t motor after running in water and letting them set too long without cleanin them. I got frustrated and tossed in the velineon from my slash 4x4 and put it on training mode(50% throttle) and i love it. the only problem i've had is glitching when im creeping. Everyone i've talked to said this is solved by using a sensored motor. So i vote go brushless!
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well i run the venom 17t double brushed motor 20 tooth pinion on a fx-r esc with a 8.4 stick battery and it has enough low speed to do minor crawling and plenty of wheel speed to really fling mud when i get in a bind, it runs around 18mph on flat asphalt, when i wanna crawl i put my tekin 35t on it and goto town

and if you want a quality built 35t motor thats cheap and will last a good while, look at this one, i run this one in my wifes truck and she plays in the water/mud 24/7 and it has yet to fail, its goin on a year now
http://store.rc4wd.com/540-Crawler-B...35T_p_821.html

Last edited by honcho1.9; 12-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info I will take into consideration. Also anyone have any comments on the tekin or integy 35t?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

personaly i run a 30t Holmes Hobbies hand wound and it ripps!(parts if your not careful!)

but id rcomend a 35t, but between the integy 35t and the Tekin machine wound 35t there isn't much diffrent other than the sticker on the can
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

So what is the difference between a hand wound and machine wound( besides the obvious)? :-)
Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcuck View Post
So what is the difference between a hand wound and machine wound( besides the obvious)? :-)

The quality of the winds. The handwounds are done carefully, and have better power delivery, and much smoother response.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Holmes Hobbies Handwound 35t for the win!

When you can swing the $$$ get a ESC that will handle a 3cell Lipo and you will have a GREAT balance of crawl and roost.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

What is a good ESC that can handle 3s and is waterproof?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcuck View Post
What is a good ESC that can handle 3s and is waterproof?
Holmes Hobbies BR-Xl
Old 12-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
Holmes Hobbies BR-Xl
The HH website says that waterproofing is no longer offered. Just an FYI.
Subarutex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarutex View Post
The HH website says that waterproofing is no longer offered. Just an FYI.
then id suggest getting a Br-xl or a sidewinder (what i have) and waterproofing it yourself, such as spray on electrical tape (how mine is done, take it out of the case)
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

id go with a 35t and a 16-24t pinion
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #15

Default Re: 35t or 45t Motor?

You should try waterproofing the motor with conforming sealant if possible. Since it is brushed, the water interferes with the brushes, so the motor will not turn. Another way is to convert to brushless motor, however, since a brushless motor is much faster, you light want to change to 2S only.
NicholasNguyen0530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasNguyen0530 View Post
You should try waterproofing the motor with conforming sealant if possible. Since it is brushed, the water interferes with the brushes, so the motor will not turn. Another way is to convert to brushless motor, however, since a brushless motor is much faster, you light want to change to 2S only.
Um, no, no and no. Not to mention, how deep did you dig to bump a 9 year old post?
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasNguyen0530 View Post
You should try waterproofing the motor with conforming sealant if possible. Since it is brushed, the water interferes with the brushes, so the motor will not turn.

You know what will also interfere with the brushes? The conformal coating you just put on! heck why not plasti dip the whole thing at this point?

I'm not trying to single you out, just trying to inject some tech. Conformal coating by definition does not conduct electricity so coating the inside of a motor will make it unable to do its basic job of conducting electricity. You will ruin a motor doing this.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote