Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: back into trucks again....pointers sought

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default back into trucks again....pointers sought

so,it;s been a while since i had a truck, and never owned an electric cept for a TYCO oh, about 25 years ago. Went down to the local and scooped up this and been doing a few things to it.
Gotta say i'm not use to this gearing/speed/power, but i have found a couple little places to play some and she holds her own for a little bit.
I guess i should begin with what i'm working with since i didnt take pics of everything, right. Ok, i thought you could only buy these in the form of assembly required, come to find out the only one my local had was RTR or TR . Slightly disappointed but kinda ok with "just add batts" i brought her home. Since all my lipos are 11V 3S 1800-2250 mAh i had to buy at least one battery just to see how she does on a 2S (and was not trying to shell out coin for a castle or traxxas ESC from the getgo).A hundred beans later along came the thunder power 40C 4200mAh 2S for the ride home. Next in order after being thoroughly dissappointed with FM was to swap out RX/TX! I robbed my Align 450 sport of it's RX(spektrum ar6110e)

coupled with a dx-7se(not pictured)
next up was some more lighting on the tewrrain i was to conquer. i was actually impressed with the 2 stock lights up fron but could not see (pun intended) where more would be welcome.
bring in the HPI #30504 LED lighting(mounted to some western bumpers of course)

I buggered up the bumpers with the exopy i used and it melted them, but gonna use them for now and do some diggin into how to mount these up with what i'll call "the red headed step" proline jeep comanche (pics not required since any1 can see the comanche mounted to the axial VIA prolines' site).
Here is my dilema, I've never painted a body and i'm lookinfg to paint the jeep in this pattern.
anyone that has suggestions or tips lemmee know.
And i'm looking to go with a 3S setup possibly buty honestly not sure what the pro and cons are.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Pro's of 3 cell:
More torque, more rpm which both equal more fun. If you drive at a reasonable pace, the same capacity battery will last you longer as you won't be as "in the throttle" as much.

Con's:
You will have to beef up the drivelines a little bit sonner than you would have had to on 2 cell, but you still would have to do it.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i painted one of my rifles that exact pattern and i cut the shapes out of sticker paper. i did a base of black and put the stickers i wanted black over that then painted green and put the stickers i wanted green over that and so on and so forth. it worked very well
scx10mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Shouldnt be too bad to paint that. I am assuming that you will be painting it on the outside of a body.

Lay some strips of masking tape out on a clean cutting board...Make sure it is clean or else it wont work out well for you. Cut out a bunch of shapes with similar sweeping arcs like are pictured in the pattern you have. Now lay down your base color, I would do the beige/tan color since it is the lightest color in the pattern. Now place down some of your cut out shapes, anywhere they are will remain the color that you last painted. Use something like a credit card to make sure that they are really stuck down, this will prevent the paint from bleeding under the masks. Continue this process with the rest of the colors, I would do black next and then the green and brown after that. Anything following the black may need an extra coat to cover fully. Carefully remove all of the masks, sometimes some warm air from a hair dryer can help get them started. After all that I would get some semi gloss clear coat to lay over everything, probably 2 coats to protect it and give it the matte finish that any camo paint job should have.

I am thinking of doing a similar paint job on one of my rigs, first I have to finish building it!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

actually i was thinking of painting it on the inside so that the paint would last longer, until i got to thinking that the paint is gonna be slightly glossy from the lexan. So, if i paint it from the outside should i primer the body first or scuff it up some to get paint or primer to adhere to it? or just spray away?
thanks for the tip on 2s vs 3s.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote