Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Tricks and Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 Tricks and Tips?

Is anyone able to make a thread for the most common upgrades/mods then sticky it?

I am sure it would cut down on us newbs from asking questions and it kinda hard to search for stuff when you don't know what your looking for.

Just basic and common things to upgrade and how your doing it.

How to 4link?
How to improve steering?
Ect ect ect...
TOMS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

First thing to do would betoo beef up your drive line first, replace the nylon gears with the Robinson Racing Products like the output diff gear and idol gear, then replace the drive shafts, (I use the RC4WD ones) but there's other and cheaper companies that make them that are strong too.

Too 4 link it, you need the 4 link truss with some set screw and a 7x20 post to extend the ball joint (the TR and kit come with spares) to the truss. If it's the TR version axial have you covered, it comes with the truss and linkage sets, if you got the kit then these parts will aid you.

part numbers:
AXA186
AXA1421

That right there is the most important thing to do first if your going to use it on a daily basis along with bashing it and putting strain on it, but hey that's my opinion, after all it's your rig, set it up the way you want it, that's the fun about these things, customizing the way you want it.
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Add weight on the frame in both the front and back. I did that for my second run and it is better planted and crawls better overall
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

add weight to the rims not the frame
Topkickscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkickscaler View Post
How much weight is recommended. I have seen some use the pro line Titus tuner weight kit ( 6oz front and 2 oz back).
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcuck View Post
How much weight is recommended. I have seen some use the pro line Titus tuner weight kit ( 6oz front and 2 oz back).
When your running a stock rig, id go with 3 or 4 oz in the front and 1 or 2 in the rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkickscaler View Post
i dont know about you but i dont like it bouncing around, looks stupid. In my opinion its more scale to have your weight distribution set by the stuff that is sprung on your truck. ie if your nose light, add weight to simulate an engine and so fourth. The goal in 1:1 wheeling is to decrease unsprung weight, so why would you add unsprung weight to your scaler. i didn't want to start anything im just looking at it from a scale perspective

Last edited by gottorque; 12-27-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
The goal in 1:1 wheeling is to decrease unsprung weight, so why would you add unsprung weight to your scaler.
In racing this is true but 1:1 rockcrawlers put the biggest heavyist axles they can under our rigs and then add more weight by putting water or lead shot in the tires. Crawling is all about a balance between ground clearance and a low center of gravity.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Tossin' Salad

You can always beef up your axle housings with some beef toobs.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
In racing this is true but 1:1 rockcrawlers put the biggest heavyist axles they can under our rigs and then add more weight by putting water or lead shot in the tires. Crawling is all about a balance between ground clearance and a low center of gravity.
Thats true. However these arent comp trucks and unless your building a "true scale" comp truck there is no need. Your average weekend warior XJ or taco wouldnt have added weight in its front tires as driving the thing on the street would be a nightmare. to weight the front they have big bumpers, winches and...an engine, which is a significant amount of weight up front. Thats were they get there weight from. Sure they may put the thing on dynatracs and truss the thing solid, but never from putting additional wight in the tires

Last edited by gottorque; 12-28-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Get a metal servo horn my plastic one lasted about 30 minutes
Black Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Good thread, but can you guys put links to the products you're recommending?
Gotlime? is offline   Reply With Quote