Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Must Have Hop Ups??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb Must Have Hop Ups??

I dont see a "Sticky" and I have already sifted through the first 50+ pages of threads and posts..

Wanted to see if we could maybe get a "Sticky" on must have hop ups for the SCX10 or maybe just start putting them here for now??

At the moment I have a Traxxas XL-5 coming, 55T motor, Hitec 645 and some DS Beadlocks..

What else??

Suspension, Drivetrain, Tires, anything else??
monsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Aluminum Axle C's, Knuckles and straight axle adapters. The knuckles and C's will strengthen and smooth up your steering. The straight axles on the rear just look cool and will complete the look. As for tires, RC4WD steel beadlocks in 1.9 or 1.5 is to me a must have. Absolutly beautiful and hardcore scale. As for tires, same thing RC4wd 1.9 or 1.5's, I run 1.9 Mud thrashers of my SCX 10 based XJ, and the look is Nice! Great height and good hookup on rock and dirt. Depending on your body though, there are plenty to choose from in the RC4WD stable of tires. The sky is really the limit.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
riz
Quarry Creeper

I say maybe upgrade the shocks to a nice set of Powerstrokes. 4 link the rear also.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Hand Bros CMS kit, put it on every SCX I've got cleans up the look of the truck, and gets the servo off the axle and out of the way

what are you running for power, and why a traxxas ESC? Most run at least a 45t and 3s lipo many run a 35t. the Traxxas esc is waterproof but lacks any drag brake and has the pesky double pump reverse. an FXR in a balloon is another very common choice.

The stock tires work very well, but if you want more height the TSL's from proline are a good choice, or the rokloks from RC4WD work well and add some height

Last edited by slobin3d; 01-01-2011 at 11:33 PM.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
Hand Bros CMS kit, put it on every SCX I've got cleans up the look of the truck, and gets the servo off the axle and out of the way

Thanks for the replies guys..

@ slobin3d
You wouldnt happen to have a picture of that set up installed on your SCX10 would you?

For power I am undecided at the moment, I was thinking a Lipo I am pretty sure that can be used with the Xl-5 Traxxas ESC..
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterman View Post
Thanks for the replies guys..

@ slobin3d
You wouldnt happen to have a picture of that set up installed on your SCX10 would you?

For power I am undecided at the moment, I was thinking a Lipo I am pretty sure that can be used with the Xl-5 Traxxas ESC..
yeap! Nevermind the glare, my camera was freaking out with the flash. the first few were when the truck was new, the last few were just taken

slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks!

What brand Knuckles should I go with guys??
Axial
Vanquish
GH
Another brand I dont know about LOL

Starting putting my kit together yetserday, got the Axles done, Shocks done..
Looking around at more parts or must have's and I am just so overwhelmed with the amount and variety..

You SCX10 Experts need to get in here and post up! I need a list or some links.. I am sure if you list them I'll find them!

Thanks

Last edited by monsterman; 01-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvydty1 View Post
Aluminum Axle C's, Knuckles and straight axle adapters. The knuckles and C's will strengthen and smooth up your steering.
Hi apologies for throwing in a question. I have the honcho kit version on the way. Are these hop ups for both the kit and rtr. I understand there are some small differences between the kit and rtr.
Hoisty0970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Basic difference between kit and RTR is metal vs plastic links. Drivetrain is the same, the front knuckles and C's are usually the first parts that break. The rear lockouts aren't all that needed on the SCX.

Steel trans outputs are a must have. Even with stock driveshafts they'll stay put better as I've found even with locktite the soft metal still lets the shaft spit. If you do get a shaft to hold it'll snap the output easy. MIP driveshafts from the get-go are a good idea also. I wasted the money on two sets of driveshaft rings with my honcho build and the shafts were doing the twist in no time, that money would of been a good part of the MIP's I had to later get.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisty0970 View Post
Hi apologies for throwing in a question. I have the honcho kit version on the way. Are these hop ups for both the kit and rtr. I understand there are some small differences between the kit and rtr.
the only differences between them is the kit doesnt come with electronics but does come with aluminum links. mods will work for both. there the same truck.
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Steel trans outputs are a must have.
What Trans Outputs would you suggest going with??
Have a link?

Are these what your talking about?

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax30495.htm
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Your link was C's

This http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax30544.htm

Or this http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1542.htm and http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1541.htm

The stock trans gears are pretty strong, but at some power point there lifespan becomes pretty short. If you just do the outputs (which are enough for most 1.9 brushed rigs) you can still get aluminium gears later that are plenty strong if needed.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

4-link rear
alum C-hubs
alum kunckles
fender wells
cvd's in the front axle
drive shaft rings or MIP shafts
remove the bump stops from the shocks
lower the battery tray

all the mods i have done and would recomend
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
RCC Addict

A free mod that seems to be overlooked in this section is the mirrored tranny. That mod along with running my batt right beside the servo with the HB kit(same spot as slobid3d in above pic) and four link in the rear and torque twist is reduced big time.

I don't think underdrive rear gears has been listed yet either, I'd recommend those also.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A free mod that seems to be overlooked in this section is the mirrored tranny.
Could you explain this a little more?

I have heard this term before and can't remember what was actually done
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by th67ss View Post

Here is the link.....

I just did it last night and it is very ez to do! Might as well get the grease out and service the transmission at the same time!!!

GL

C H
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by th67ss View Post

unbolt the the skid plate and remove from chassis with the tranny attched and turn 180* and bolt the skid plate back in. simple as that!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
unbolt the the skid plate and remove from chassis with the tranny attched and turn 180* and bolt the skid plate back in. simple as that!
After flipping the skid you need to split the tranny and flip the input shaft, plug and motor plate to the opposite side. When done the motor will point foward on the passenger side.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

[
Quote:
Your link was C's

This http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax30544.htm

Or this http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1542.htm and http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1541.htm

The stock trans gears are pretty strong, but at some power point there lifespan becomes pretty short. If you just do the outputs (which are enough for most 1.9 brushed rigs) you can still get aluminium gears later that are plenty strong if needed.
Thanks for the info I will go with your recommendations on those listed above.. I think beefing up the tranny is a good idea..

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
4-link rear
alum C-hubs
alum kunckles
fender wells
cvd's in the front axle
drive shaft rings or MIP shafts
remove the bump stops from the shocks
lower the battery tray

all the mods i have done and would recomend

I could spend a few hours trying to find all those listed above, if you have them could you post up the links to them..

Also when you say "remove the bump stops from the shocks" what parts are you talking about those rubber spacer things that went on the shock shaft?

QUOTE=indiana mudcat;2849112]A free mod that seems to be overlooked in this section is the mirrored tranny. That mod along with running my batt right beside the servo with the HB kit(same spot as slobid3d in above pic) and four link in the rear and torque twist is reduced big time.

I don't think underdrive rear gears has been listed yet either, I'd recommend those also.[/QUOTE]

I found this "Mirroring" thread the other night, did this mod to my AX10 and I must say it improved things quite a bit. Pulled my SCX10 Tranny apart this afternoon and did the same.. Great little trick for sure

One other thing I want to go with the Axial "Aluminum Knuckles" what if any is the difference between the Standard and High Clearance?? Can I use either set or does one need other parts or mods done to work?

Last edited by monsterman; 01-10-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
After flipping the skid you need to split the tranny and flip the input shaft, plug and motor plate to the opposite side. When done the motor will point foward on the passenger side.
What does that mod actually give you? see as to that the motor sit forward on the drivers side and your just moving it to the passneger what woud be the reasoning?
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote