Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: my honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #41
RCC Addict

sweet.. i'll give lester's a call today.. how long is his shipping time?? my mom and dad are going to alberta on friday so i wont have a ride into vernon to go pick them up if i order some... which kinda sucks..

did you order up some tires today??
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #42
RCC Addict

just snapped a few new pictures this morning.. i 4 linked the rear the other night so thought i'd share since i really havent done anything to it lately... its too cold to go outside right now and bend up some rod hopefully this year dad keeps saying he'll get some heat in the shop so we'll see.. haha and yes the driver's rear tire is off the ground about a 1/2 inch.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
sweet.. i'll give lester's a call today.. how long is his shipping time?? my mom and dad are going to alberta on friday so i wont have a ride into vernon to go pick them up if i order some... which kinda sucks..

did you order up some tires today??
ordered my tires yesterday you won't have to order yours he has them in stock
9700trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9700trevor View Post
ordered my tires yesterday you won't have to order yours he has them in stock
these are the tires i want. another guy's build thread but i like the tires and i've heard they do well.
My 2.2 Trail Rubi
Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #45
RCC Addict

well going into town with my mom to drop off my cousin at work so im going to grab some materials to make some links this weekend and my parents are going to alberta this weekend and my aunt (lives at the same house) doesnt drive when the roads are shitty so im stuck at home all weekend..haha. probably will just pick up some 1/4" or 3/16" aluminum tubing and some threaded rod that fits inside, mom works at 11am so gotta know what i want before i get into the store..

what would be better?? 1/4" or 3/16". i'd like to go 1/4 inch if i can find some in canadian tire or the hobby shop.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
just snapped a few new pictures this morning.. i 4 linked the rear the other night so thought i'd share since i really havent done anything to it lately... its too cold to go outside right now and bend up some rod hopefully this year dad keeps saying he'll get some heat in the shop so we'll see.. haha and yes the driver's rear tire is off the ground about a 1/2 inch.

Hi there!
I'm a newbie and I got the honcho tr as well...
Can you advise whether are all the stuffs for the 4 link rear all found in the tr package?

Thanks!
boolean21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean21 View Post
Hi there!
I'm a newbie and I got the honcho tr as well...
Can you advise whether are all the stuffs for the 4 link rear all found in the tr package?

Thanks!
umm... i just used some random links that were in the package, if you look at one of my pictures the driveshaft slip yoke travel is not a helluva lot... meaning i dont have much travel left before the driveshaft "slips" apart.

im going to be making some new links this weekend, heading into town in the morning and grabbing some materials to do so. just hopped into bed and i got to thinking to see if i had any rod ends or not apparently i do but not sure what size they are. might pick up some traxxas rod ends tomorrow..
if you want a 4 link set up right away you can use the longer links that come in the package toss some swively ball thingies in em and throw them on the honcho.. you will have to take the "Y" link and mounting plate out then use one of the 4 link truss mount (also comes in the package) and find a screw to use for your links to hold them onto the truss mount. i noticed a little difference going to the 4 link set up, also noticed that the Y link hits the driveshaft.

you can make your own links with some 1/4" or 3/16" aluminum tubing and some rod ends and some all thread rod. check out the newbie section and click on the "tips and tricks" thread and scroll down you'll find a link to making your own links.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
umm... i just used some random links that were in the package, if you look at one of my pictures the driveshaft slip yoke travel is not a helluva lot... meaning i dont have much travel left before the driveshaft "slips" apart.

im going to be making some new links this weekend, heading into town in the morning and grabbing some materials to do so. just hopped into bed and i got to thinking to see if i had any rod ends or not apparently i do but not sure what size they are. might pick up some traxxas rod ends tomorrow..
if you want a 4 link set up right away you can use the longer links that come in the package toss some swively ball thingies in em and throw them on the honcho.. you will have to take the "Y" link and mounting plate out then use one of the 4 link truss mount (also comes in the package) and find a screw to use for your links to hold them onto the truss mount. i noticed a little difference going to the 4 link set up, also noticed that the Y link hits the driveshaft.

you can make your own links with some 1/4" or 3/16" aluminum tubing and some rod ends and some all thread rod. check out the newbie section and click on the "tips and tricks" thread and scroll down you'll find a link to making your own links.
hi,
do you have any nice reads on doing up the 4 link rear?
i'm still kind of lost on how to go about it...
will go take a look at the honcho's underside and compare with your pics..

thanks a lot!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #49
RCC Addict

ya no problem... i'll see what i can dig up for you. i'll try to explain it a little better and maybe add a picture or 2.
this is how i did my 4 link.

so first up, look at the underside of your rig, locate the rear links and look at the upper link it should be a Y shape.

now there's 2 screws holding one end of the Y link take those out, look at the ass end of the rig locate the 2 top screws on the pumpkin of the axle, take those out or just loosen them up enough to your link will come out. there's another screw on the end of the single piece of the Y you can take it too if you want but i dont think you need to.. now your Y link should come out.

next step find one of these in the package, this is your 4 link truss mount. you can also buy/make a fancy one if you'd rather choose but this one will do the job.

now use the 2 top screws (the ones that should be loose) on the axle pumpkin to hold the truss mount on the pumpkin. the truss mount will only go on one way so its pretty hard NOT to screw that up.

now locate your spare links from the package, there will be 2 shorter ones and 2 longer ones, use the longer ones and pop some of those swively ball things in the ends which will be in the package as well. now find a long enough screw and nut to go throw both of the link ends in the truss mount.

now at this stage the driveshaft will have most likely slipped apart so put it back together and this stage it will only go on one way. there's 2 smaller grooves and 2 bigger grooves on the drivesahft make sure you get shit lined up and it will go together easy.

once your driveshaft is together you can attach the other ends of the links to the frame using the same screw and nut as what was there before.

voila your done. i found it easier to pull the body off and 1 rear tire just to give you a little more room to work.

i whipped into town with my mom this morning and picked up some 1/4" all thread rod and some 9/32" aluminum tubing to make some new links, course couldnt find any rod ends but i was in a tight crunch so i'll have to figure something out.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

[/IMG]
Old 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:WNARL:CA:1123 these are the rims a saw and they would look awesome with led behind them
Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #52
RCC Addict

stupid photobucket...haha

here's a picture of the Y link that comes stock on the rig.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

so you went from that to a 4 link that is good
Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9700trevor View Post
so you went from that to a 4 link that is good
yeah i thought so too
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

hey check out the stick I found one of a kind

Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
ya no problem... i'll see what i can dig up for you. i'll try to explain it a little better and maybe add a picture or 2.
this is how i did my 4 link.

so first up, look at the underside of your rig, locate the rear links and look at the upper link it should be a Y shape.

now there's 2 screws holding one end of the Y link take those out, look at the ass end of the rig locate the 2 top screws on the pumpkin of the axle, take those out or just loosen them up enough to your link will come out. there's another screw on the end of the single piece of the Y you can take it too if you want but i dont think you need to.. now your Y link should come out.

next step find one of these in the package, this is your 4 link truss mount. you can also buy/make a fancy one if you'd rather choose but this one will do the job.

now use the 2 top screws (the ones that should be loose) on the axle pumpkin to hold the truss mount on the pumpkin. the truss mount will only go on one way so its pretty hard NOT to screw that up.

now locate your spare links from the package, there will be 2 shorter ones and 2 longer ones, use the longer ones and pop some of those swively ball things in the ends which will be in the package as well. now find a long enough screw and nut to go throw both of the link ends in the truss mount.

now at this stage the driveshaft will have most likely slipped apart so put it back together and this stage it will only go on one way. there's 2 smaller grooves and 2 bigger grooves on the drivesahft make sure you get shit lined up and it will go together easy.

once your driveshaft is together you can attach the other ends of the links to the frame using the same screw and nut as what was there before.

voila your done. i found it easier to pull the body off and 1 rear tire just to give you a little more room to work.

i whipped into town with my mom this morning and picked up some 1/4" all thread rod and some 9/32" aluminum tubing to make some new links, course couldnt find any rod ends but i was in a tight crunch so i'll have to figure something out.
Hi,
Thanks for the very detailed guide!
Really appreciate that!

Will try it out one of these days.
Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #57
RCC Addict

^^haha looks good.

havent done anything with the honcho in a few days so no updates. dont have any rod ends that are big enough for the 1/4 inch threaded rod but i have an idea as i have some smaller rod ends that i can use and i could steal some ends from a set of old savage shocks i got laying around.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

before 4 link

with polished aluminum 4 link plate I have also made one for the front

Last edited by 9700trevor; 02-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

AX10wannabe if you want I can dig out the template and make you some of these
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #60
RCC Addict

i dont know yet.