Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: progression of a dream, a toyota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

Default progression of a dream, a toyota.

well to start off yes this is my first post. ive been lurking and reading now for well over a year, and became a member once i got my scx10. ive been on this site close to everyday just reading and searching, its a pass time i enjoy. ive read more build threads than i can begin to count. there are some very talented builders out there. so i have been waitin to start my own thread till i had something worth contributing.

on to the rig. first i am about as big a toyota fan as youll find. ive owned lots of everything but always loved my toys. so the honcho caught my eye instantly as it resembles my 96 tacoma. well it was cool but i disliked the rear tube work i wanted a bed. and i always wanted to build a hard body. so the hilux was a must. so im posting this now because im really impressed with how this turned out. im not very model inclined. not a very good eye for detail. but it turned out well.

its not finished as they never are. but its close as it will stay till next winter. i have not trimed any of the body yet since i want to run it as is. once its beat on for a season it will get rebuilt, bobbed, trimmed and what ever else i find to fix. updates will be slow as a wife and son leave little cash for toys when saving for a house. thanks for looking sorry for the long intro but gotta start somewhere. keep up the great work and passion for an awesome hobby.
sincerely, james from alaska.

specs are as follows..
scx10 honcho
novak rooster
axial 27t
old original traxxas tq tx and rx am (looking at xr4 remote)
axial servo
3r winch
rc4wd oem wheels and rok lox
old cheap rc super soft springs in rear
rest is pretty stock its been holing up like beast.

pictures now from original to current. finally right!

brand new all put together and fresh paint

mchugh creek area

new wheels tires and bumpers, custom mounted front to raise it.

last picture before new build. did change after this but no pics to prove it.

next post for new pictures even some snow shots
907toytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #2

Default had to take a quick break

here she sits now.

winch mounted behind the bumper. still gotta dremel the bumper and make of get a different fairlead.

rear bumper mount to save tail as much as possible

naked shot

almost done

tail shot

with realistic lights. i dont like the look of leds for headlights.

and little flex

more stuff and more flex
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

Default finally some outside snow

last ones for now

lights

just for fun some flex in the snow couple weeks ago. camping in the pass -20 degrees out. most ive ever seen my taco flex with a bed full of firewood

last one to show stuff in the bed. im thinkin theres too many window stickers. i went a little crazy.

well thats all for now thanks for takin a look and i hope you enjoy. costructive criticism is welcome. leave it at that. James. from ak.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

man, where are you all buying your hilux's at? damn, she is nice.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

theyre pretty much everywhere. but best ive found has been rpphobby.com. every order ive made has made it to me in no more than one week, most in 3 or 4 days. and im in alaska. theyre good at gettin stuff in the mail quick.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nice rig man! Welcome to the Scaler world!!!
I'm a die hard Toyota fan myself and the Hilux body has to be one of my all time favorites!
As far as the window stickers go, I'd say just leave em all on there! That's the redneck way!!
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

WOW i love the whole thing. As for the stickers in the back window, keep them all, looks more realistic. Stickers make it look faster in the end right?? LMAO
crawling-wallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #8

thats right! rule of thumb is every sticker equalls 10hp. haha. thanks for the kind words guys.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

of course, so why are you looking to slow her down by taking the stickers off, its like taking a leg off 100 horses, then you would have a turd of a car
crawling-wallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Looks GREAT I also think you should keep the stickers, it makes the truck look even more realistic.
Nitrofreakmanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 AM   #11

thanks again guys. glad some of you are enjoying my work. cant wait till summer so i can drive it and beat it on some rocks and trails. had a little update. got bored and reall didnt like how much space you can see between the body and frame, so i cut up my already hacked proline honcho floor pan and man i dont know why i didnt plan for that in the begining. just got too excited about it i guess. turned out good but shoulda took more time to really fit the rear but looks great anyway.big difference in realism when flexing i think. i apprieciate the looks and kind words. james. now on to the pics.

front

rear

bottom

shoulda got a body off shot but i forgot and its a chore to post pics on this very old lap top. (my nicer one crashed a couple months ago and this is the spare.) so ill get one up tmro for anyone thats interested. next on the homebrew list is new sliders. well see how they turn out since im just starting this tube thing. might try some simple boat sides with an accent bar. for a more scale look.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #12

Damn sweeeet hilux man Nothing like rc car building and a guinness
RxTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The blue looks awesome!
papakev01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Love the old school look!!!

I can't wait for summer too
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

yeah, lovin the stickers and the old skool colour
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #16

Default updates

hey again. well i finally moved into the future. i got me a spektrum dx3e. man what a difference no interuptions and no glitching makes. i chose the e for a couple reasons, one price and two ease of use and no screen. i fugure ill make my technological steps one at a time.

i made some changes under the hood as well. lowered the battery to the frame moved the rx box to the rearanc cleaned up some wiring. added one wrap of 3/16 lead rope to each rim for some extra wheel weight. finally i four linked the rear with the axial truss.

also got bored and made some things. i couldnt see paying 16 bucks for a winch hook so i made my own. i made two. theyre not perfect but made with what i got here in the garage. and i decided to make a scaleish pull pal. if your not sure what a pull pal is google it. its a pretty cool idea. so with some solid steel and an arc/stick welder thats way too big for small stuff. i made one again not pretty but functional. since i tried it out in the snow and IT WORKS. suprised me but have to wait to test it further in the summer.

this was better detailed but it got deleted from taking too long.
thanks again for lookin im awful proud of er. james

with the new remote and pullpal.

new layouts on the underside.

new homebrew winch hook and fairlead.

homebrew pull pal. painted it badly so it would scuff and scratch easily

four linked and trailer ball.

more very soon.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Looks good, we'll have to go play when the snow leaves.
Gvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #18

see.

here i am on my little winter trail and stuck.

and pulling

and unstuck

next is a shot of my tacoma and my trailer. this will be my next project. it will be leaf sprung like mine but will have a hilux bed. only reason mine is nissan is all the toy beds were around 500 bucks this one cost me a case of cheap beer and a nice little drive outta town. worth it. trailer is home built. (dont mind the guy out the window. ruining a cool piture.)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvus View Post
Looks good, we'll have to go play when the snow leaves.
definetly! im chompin at the bit. I NEED SOME CRAWLING. i cant wait to go beat this thing up. i have a small course in the garage but its not the same beating it up for the first time at home. i need to hit some trails.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #20

Default went playing.

went to mchugh creek. i couldn't wait any longer, i had to try out all my tweeks i made through out the winter. few scratches nothing major. iwas very impressed with how this rig did. im loving the setup. i went back about a week after these pics with a buddy and my venom and went a lot further up hill. found a wicked trail that was a muddy up hill blast to climb through. but i forgot my camera that day. my friend had his got some pics but he lives about 6 hours away. but i will share when i recieve them. anyway enough jibba jabba heres some proof. thanks for lookin. James.

why we live here!

nice pose

a lot steeper than it looks

new bumper.

end of the day shot

Tags
hilux, honcho, scx10, toyota