Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Weekend Warrior project!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Weekend Warrior project!!

I've been waiting to start this build ever since I got most of the stuff to do it back at Xmas. Finally now that Pro-Line has replaced my 2dr Rubicon body, and it should be arriving today, I can begin my Weekend Warrior build. I haven't been able to do all that much since the body isn't here and can't really see how everything is going to look, but I have gotten a few things accomplished. I've shortened the Honcho's wheelbase using the TR links, had rigged up a four link setup to avoid having to order more stuff but it ultimately failed in the end so I'm just running the plastic 3 link in the rear for now. I started on this build yesterday when I got home from work then slept for a bit and tinkered here and there throughout the night. Here's a few pix of what I've worked on so far.

Got the RPP Outback tire carrier mounted to the rear bumper.

Still need to make a gas can holder and mount the jack somewhere.

Got the 3Racing winch mounted to the front. Waiting on some used Western bumpers to snag the shackles from for the front and rear. Thanks chicostaxxs007!

Dug out the ole Blazer body to see how the bumpers would look since it's kinda close to the Rubi. Threw the 2.2 Tamiya beadlocks on so I could drive around since the 1.9's were still dirty.

Put the 1.9's on to see how they'd look.

Made a collapsible mirror similar to a real JK mirror using the Axial mirror kit and a rod end and spacer from the Honcho kit. This one is still in mock up. Need to clean it up and paint the chrome black. Might just skip the painting and use the ones from the black mirror kit I ordered.

That's all the pix I've taken so far. Just really been going over the Honcho with a fine tooth comb checking for things here and there. Been noticing a squeaking coming from the front shaft input, probably just after effects of the Honcho's near drowning. Now I'm just waiting on the body to get here so I can get the majority of this project finished. Keep checking back for more updates. Later kids!

Last edited by JDeezie82; 06-01-2013 at 07:09 PM.
JDeezie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Cant wait to see more of the build.
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks great! i have a blazer too but its really beat to heck.
motostowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

diggin the collapsable mirror using honcho tree, just used some spacers and trimmed down rod ends from the honcho tree to "space" my bed from "body" using the honcho tree today....seems the d@mn trees are good for something after all. will be watchin this build for sure!
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Great looking truck!
papakev01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

You could mount the jack to the front or back like these...
From www.jk-forum.com:

cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Looks pretty darn good to me!
Nitrofreakmanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #8

i love the old chevy look... more pics!
dsm4g63punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default A few updates!

So I'm still waiting on my Rubi body. Turns out UPS did deliver it today, just to the wrong house. Now I have to wait for them to track it down, which could take up to 8 more days. Last night and today have not been good at all. I finally got my front driveshaft back on after trying for hours to remove the stripped set screw. But all is not lost. I did get some things accomplished today. Let's take a look.

My bumpers came in that I got from chicostaxxs007 so I removed the shackles and mounted them up to the bumpers I'm going to use in my build.

They're in decent shape. Two of them could use some touching up but they're good for now.

Decided to save myself some time and just use the black mirrors in the Axial kit to make my JK mirrors. I think they turned out great. Good job me!

This was the last pic of the Honcho body with the chrome grille sticker.

I finally decided to use the black one because I think it stands out more against the white and the other one was starting to fade a little.

That's all I've done for now. This is becoming a very slow process without the body here. Hopefully I'll here something from UPS tomorrow, or better yet, they'll be at the door with my Jeep body. Still debating on how to mount the jack. I was thinking more along the lines of the second pic cbp27 posted. Keep checking for more updates. I have to work this weekend so I doubt I'll have time to get anymore done, unless the body gets here. Later kids!

Last edited by JDeezie82; 06-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Rejoice! The body has been found! :D

Well I got a call from UPS this morning and they told me exactly where my package was located, at the neighbor's house. We live in a duplex and there are two units next to each other and turns out the lady on the end of the other unit was the one who got my Jeep body instead of me. I guess she's afraid of the outside world or something because I walked over there and knocked on the door, while staring at my package on her porch, and all I got was a muffled voice from what sounded like the other end of the house asking who I was. I could barely hear the lady so I just told her who I was snatched up my package and left. Thank god I finally have this thing. Now I can really get into this build.

Keep checking back kids. Looks like I'm going to work tonight without much sleep.

Last edited by JDeezie82; 06-01-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Man! That front bumper looks awesome on a Honcho. Being new, I'm curious where everyone is getting the Toyota grill stickers from ? Nice work!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofreakmanho View Post
Man! That front bumper looks awesome on a Honcho. Being new, I'm curious where everyone is getting the Toyota grill stickers from ? Nice work!
Here ya go. This is where I got mine, as well as most of my stuff.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rpptaco.htm
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default Update time kids!

Just thought I'd update with a few pix of the progress of my build.

Got almost everything laid out for my build.

Trimmed the body and had it resting on the frame. Got a little bit more finishing to do on it before paint. Still debating on whether I should drill holes for the body posts or rig up something like I did for my Blazer body when I had it on my Wheely King.

I might even trim down the back of the body where the rear door is. I noticed that as of now it's resting on the frame and I would have to drill holes in the rear body posts if I decide to use them to mount it.

That's all I've got for now. Suggestions are welcomed. Keep checking back kids. Later!

Last edited by JDeezie82; 06-01-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks a million for the link! The Jeep body seems to fit great, is it possible to use some Velcro to attach it, saving you having to put holes in it? That tire carrier does look over-the-top
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default The question remains....

Still debating on how to mount my jack. Saw a few pix on the web of it mounted on the hood, but I'm not too sure about that. I think I've narrowed it down to two possibilities.

So, the question remains. Does it look better like this...

....or this?

Kinda leaning more towards this at the moment due to the fact that if the truck rolls over there's less chance of the jack being broken.

Also, still wondering what I should do about mounting the body. I know the body pins can sometimes be an eye sore, but stopping to reattach the body every time it rolls or hits a rock a little too hard is also a bit of a pain. This was the issue I ran into with using the 3M Dual Lock setup on my Blazer bodied Wheely King. Guess I'm still on the fence on this one.

Let me know what you think peeps. Keep checking for more updates. Later kids!

Last edited by JDeezie82; 06-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I think it looks better laying behind the tire, but thats your choice. also what color are you planning for this build?
motostowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by motostowes View Post
I think it looks better laying behind the tire, but thats your choice.
x2
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think it looks better laying behind the tire, but thats your choice. also what color are you planning for this build?
x3 plus it's less likely to break from any accidents it might get into.
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I like the jack where it is more visible, but I can see how breaking it wouldnt be cool. I am doing a weekend warrior trail rig so I like the look of details. Just my .02 cents. I mounted mine on the hood.
Attached Images

Rivas Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well my initial choice was gun metal, but I've also been thinking of doing it silver. Might even go crazy and paint it with the can of lime green I have.