Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 46&2's Honcho to Hilux truggy build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 46&2's Honcho to Hilux truggy build

The last 3 years I have been building, breaking, building and breaking an AX10 RTR kit. Here is my build for that:

46&2 mini-crawler AX-10 build - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board

Up until the release of the SCX10 Honcho I hadn't really thought about a 2nd crawler because I was having so much fun with my AX10, but after seeing them pop up here and videos on youtube, I knew I wanted one. Enter my awesome girlfriend.... she got me the AE2 equipped Honcho RTR for my birthday! So stoked. She even got me a few upgrade goodies along with it...

Since the AX10 was extremely purpose built with 90% of its life spent on rocks, it was just built bulletproof, low and ****in slow. Bulletproof is always an important task on any build, so that will be key in this one as well. This time though I plan to keep a happy medium between crawler and all around versatile 4x4. I am still not 100% clear in my mind where I am going, but starting with the goodies my gf bought me is where I will begin.

To start:
-MIP driveshafts
-Aluminum lower links
-Factory 4 Link F&R
-Aluminum tie rods scavanged from parts bin

Pics:

I couldn't resist the urge to bolt up the 2.2 Rovers just to see what it would look like. I see 2.2s in the near future, though it will take some work obviously.

Haha

I have a unpainted cab for the Honcho, haven't decided on a paint theme yet. My gf suggested I do my 4runner's paint job so its kind of a mini pickup version of my 1:1. Might do that, might not. Definitely want to use OG 80s Toyota SR5 graphics of some kind though whatever I do for now. I haven't spoken with BigBird lately, but I would love to get one of his 1st gen 4runner bodies and do a scale replica of my 4runner. Not sure if he has any left though. Definitely what I would ultimately like to with this build though.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 01-22-2012 at 01:58 PM.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

My 1:1 that I'd like to eventually turn this into regardless of where the initial build goes:

Who can fab me up a replica of my front bumper?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

That's a snazzy 'runner ya got there. Subbed for sweet build!
ThunderbirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdJunkie View Post
That's a snazzy 'runner ya got there. Subbed for sweet build!
Thanks!

Since the front and rear lower links are slightly different I didn't end up having all the right parts, so I picked up the upgrade link kit and bought a ton of spare rod ends since I was running low.

Since I have all the suspension apart I decided to tune my shocks. Stock shocks seem to work pretty well, but are a bit stiff. I want to be able to run high speeds stabily, but be able to crawl and flex without that "Skyjacker" stiff feeling.

What are you guys doing to the stock shocks? The spacers have been pulled, but I tossed some old Team Associated springs on one of the shocks, removing the dual rate springs and it seems a little softer. Not sure if I want to just keep the shocks stock minus the spacers, or run a single, softer spring. Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Still open to any shock suggestions.

First round of upgrades is done. All aluminum upper/lower links and steering tie rods. MIP shafts installed as well. I didn't like the way my pinion angles turned out with the Axial spec upper links, so I lengthened the uppers in the rear. Haven't gotten to the front yet because It looks like I am going to have to move my front frame crossmember in order for the steering to clearance. I moved the shocks around a little and removed the spacers so they have a full range of travel now. The 4 link + the slightly tuned shocks definitely helped a little in the flex department. I am getting another pair of stock AX10 shocks from a member on here so I am going to toss those on and try some other spring combos to see what I like best.

Rear pinion angle vs front

Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Add some length to your front upper link/links to get a better pinion angle. Other than that I like it. Good idea to model after your 1:1 rig.
md7989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

nice rig man, i really like it. As for the 2.2 tires, i run them on the exact same truck as you man, and i gotta tell ya, im almost unstopabble, i go with mine where all the competition crawlers go, kinda embarassing to the competition crawler family
crawling-wallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. I took it out for its first run today and immediatly began having issues. Prior to this it had only been run inside my apartment. At first when I turned it on it would do the first beep, but not the second beep sound. The servo would work but not the throttle. After turning it on off, remote off back and forth I was about to give up, when suddenly it turned on fine. Ran through an entire battery, then after putting the second battery in, drove through some very shallow, (not even worthy of being called) mud. Just enough to get the tires muddy, then drove out and over some dry ruts. A couple of ruts later I got high centered, and it stopped working again. Nothing at all this time.

Took it back, inspected it and found one chunk of mud right on the wires coming out of the electronics box. I wiped it off and still, nothing. A couple more on off, the servo started working again. No throttle. So I call it a day and come home.

Try it again and it works! Seems fine for a second, then gets jerky, and doesnt want to go forward, but then will go backward... etc. Stays consistant for a moment then gets jerky.

Since this all started before the mud ever entered the picture, any opinions? Loose wiring? Thats where I am going to start.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 02-06-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Only pic I got from today.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I"ve heard the servo could cause a lot of glitching on the rtr axials, might be worth trying a different servo with it.
jettrooper02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
I"ve heard the servo could cause a lot of glitching on the rtr axials, might be worth trying a different servo with it.
Well I just popped a fresh battery in it and it seems to be working fine. If it keeps happening I will try that.

Pretty impressed with the Flat Irons, might take a little bit of foam out of them though when I go to paint my rims. Also not sure how much weight I want to put in the tires but I definitely want some weight in there. Otherwise, I am happy for now with where it is at. Takes some getting used to going from unstoppable buggy with 2.2s to stockish truck with 1.9s, but I am having a blast with it.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 02-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

im not sure if you have the new "improved" esc or the old one but alot of guys on here have all kinds of trouble out of the stock esc and servo. i started out with the vxl and velineon so im afraid all i can suggest is search for glitching in the scx10 threads
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBiscuit83 View Post
im not sure if you have the new "improved" esc or the old one but alot of guys on here have all kinds of trouble out of the stock esc and servo. i started out with the vxl and velineon so im afraid all i can suggest is search for glitching in the scx10 threads
Thanks TNBiscuit, I have run it several more times with no issue, so maybe it was just the shake down blues.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ok, well after those last "several" runs, which consisted of about 5 minutes each of running around inside the apartment, I am having issues again.

I took it out to go on its 2nd real outting outside the apartment today. After switching it on, it beeped... and didn't stop beeping. It kept beeping over and over and suddenly the wheels started spinning full speed. I could steer fine, but the ESC was hammering reverse and forward back and forth randomly. So I shut it off and took it home. Frustrated. When I got home (just like previously) I turned it on again to try and figure out what the hell is going on.

Again, it beeps nonstop, random, eratic throttle action. I turn it off. After messing with the throttle control on the remote several times, I suddenly notice something very odd. The further I get the remote away from the Honcho, the less it randomly takes off. Starting it further away reduces the nonstop beeping to a few non-normal beeps, but the throttle is still wild and random even far away.

What I discovered, was that I could actually just touch my finger to the back/top part of the remote, and the Honcho will go. I'm not joking, its the strangest thing. Barely touching the top of the remote after turning it on will cause it to take off. I think I have a defective AE2 and/or remote.

So what do I do? Its got 2 batteries through it and its already screwed up. I've had my AX10 for over 3 years and never had any problem like this. I'm assuming it has to be either the remote or the AE2. Guess I will be calling RPP in the morning to see what I can do about this.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 02-08-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Give Axial a call in the morning. they will get you all sorted out.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyt View Post
give axial a call in the morning. They will get you all sorted out.
x2.
premierscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Got it all sorted out. Spoke with Scott at Axial today. He told me the first batch of AE2 Honchos went out without updated manuals, and that there was a special procedure to follow in order to program the AE2 and Transmitter. The instructions should be updated for the next run of AE2 Honchos put out. He pointed me to the AE2 set up instructions on the Axial website:

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/pdfs/...4-i001_web.pdf

After doing that, it seems to work perfectly. So anyone that got one of the first set of AE2 Honchos, you need to follow those instructions to properly set up your AE2 and 2.4 transmitter. It may or may not work if you don't but eventually it will start going wacky on you.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 02-09-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Since it will be a while until I cut and paint my other Honcho body, I decided to Taco this one up since I won't be using the chrome grill for the unpainted body. Also added a Marlin hood sticker and a fire extinguisher.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #19

I had a similar problem with my new honcho that I bought on 1-25, thanks for the help. my problem wasn't quite as bad as yours. my honcho would not take off randomly, but would beep constantly with no throttle response. Thanks again for the help. S21
Sierra Two One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Can't wait to see where this goes. Where are you from in Nor Cal?
Tru3Racing is offline   Reply With Quote