Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: DT's SCX Jeep JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DT's SCX Jeep JK

I've wanted a scaler for long time, I have finally have enough parts together to get the build thread started. It is not going to be a fast build like one of my comp rigs, but I do hope to have it running in 3-4 months.

The Body: Newbright Jeep JK thanks to rockhugger

Everything I have so far:

If you drill and tap a 4mm flanged nut out to 5mm, it fits a super 300! It will let me use wheels with hubs that hide the nut for a more scale look.

The axles are from my 2010 Fastback comp crawler and are fully built with 300's, axial clockable c's, VP knukles, HD front gear, underdrive rear gears, vp lockouts and axial straight axles.

The tranny has full Robinson steel gears connected the the axles with MIP shafts. It should make a nicely bulletproof drivetrain

I plan on putting the tranny under the hood and mounting a transfer case on the skid.

The rig will be 4 linked front and rear with R2j trusses that are enroute.

The rest I need to wait until after my son is born in a couple weeks and we figure out a post child budget.

I'm open to suggestions, criticisms, tips, tricks, etc. to make this a good first stab at a scaler. Thanks for looking and sorry for the crappy cell pics, I'll get some pics with my good camera as this progresses.

Last edited by DickyT; 02-05-2011 at 06:12 PM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
RCC Addict

very nice parts lineup. I subscribed.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
very nice parts lineup. I subscribed.
Thanks! And for the body, I had been on the hunt for a while and was bummed to miss out on the first round one you had.

I forgot to add the front axle also has gunnar beef toobs installed.

I need to figure out some servo mounting system now, I'd hate to spend the coin on the handbros only to use the servo mount...

Anyone have an idea can use that is doable by an idiot who's only power tools are a dremel and drill, while still being able to mount the motor above the front axle?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Thanks! And for the body, I had been on the hunt for a while and was bummed to miss out on the first round one you had.

I need to figure out some servo mounting system now, I'd hate to spend the coin on the handbros only to use the servo mount...

Anyone have an idea can use that is doable by an idiot who's only power tools are a dremel and drill, while still being able to mount the motor above the front axle?
free/cheap mods Page 1. down towards the end, Theres a way to frame mount your servo
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post

I used the Axial plate that was on top of the axle with a little cutting and a few small spacers it is pretty easy to figure out I also used the Axial High clearance knuckles.

Last edited by Black Venom; 02-06-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Black Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
RCC Addict

that's about as clean as it gets right there. I like that you recycled used parts already available and with minimal alteration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Venom View Post
I used the Axial plate that was on top of the axle with a little cutting and a few small spacers it is pretty easy to figure out I also used the Axial High clearance knuckles.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Venom View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about, thanks for the tip Venom!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Tossin' Salad

I was thinking to do the same thing for a plate....but clock it a bit to get a more realistic toyota pitman arm feel.

Subscribed!

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Im Brandon

Nice start! Love the beefy drive train in a scaler

Are you planning on running the 4 link up front with the servo mounted to the frame? If so be careful, you will be fighting bump steer. The Hand Bro's kit is designed to eliminate that with the 3 link/panhard bar.

I made my own 3 link setup and frame servo mount: http://axialracing.com/wordpress/201...-scx10-honcho/
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

nicely done Brandon.

only a few days old and this thread already has a wealth of cool little tidbits of handcrafted info. This is going to be good. .
Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Nice start! Love the beefy drive train in a scaler

Are you planning on running the 4 link up front with the servo mounted to the frame? If so be careful, you will be fighting bump steer. The Hand Bro's kit is designed to eliminate that with the 3 link/panhard bar.

I made my own 3 link setup and frame servo mount: http://axialracing.com/wordpress/201...-scx10-honcho/
I was planning on that and had not considered bump steer. thanks for the heads up Brandon. I need to rethink front end strategy now.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Sometimes, I make things.

Good to see you building a scaler. Iits nice to be able to use leftover parts, I only had a few for my scale'ish project (the tires will be obnoxious, not really scale, but cool) and I wish I had some axles to use, $400 later annd I have some stout ones, haha.

You should consider waterproofing it, the water has some of the best terrain for scalers, small streams are tons of fun. I like the Claw tires, finally there is scale Claw tire. I hope they make a 2.2 version that is huge, I like me some big tires. You shouldn't need to worry much about ale failure with those 1.9's and the guts in those babies, time for some heavy throttle wheelin. I am anxious to see it with some dirt on it.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I did the same thing for my axles raped the old comp truck. I am running the same setup.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Good to see you building a scaler. Iits nice to be able to use leftover parts, I only had a few for my scale'ish project (the tires will be obnoxious, not really scale, but cool) and I wish I had some axles to use, $400 later annd I have some stout ones, haha.

You should consider waterproofing it, the water has some of the best terrain for scalers, small streams are tons of fun. I like the Claw tires, finally there is scale Claw tire. I hope they make a 2.2 version that is huge, I like me some big tires. You shouldn't need to worry much about ale failure with those 1.9's and the guts in those babies, time for some heavy throttle wheelin. I am anxious to see it with some dirt on it.

Waterproofing is on the list of things to do. Living in FL we have LOTS of water.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hey, i used to have a chassis like thatNice start DT. Makes me want to start one, again.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Nice, your doing a scaler too? Man, cant wait.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

that is kinda like what i did with mine for the steering
R/C BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I can tell this build is going to be awesome. I have been looking for a way to frame mount the servo without spending the dough on a Cms kit. I am definitely staying tuned. When I get all the parts for my build I think I might do a thread. Keep it up DT
slammin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Slower going than hoped, and unless someone can point me in the direction of a money tree and time shrub, it will continue to progress slowly, but not forgotten...

I trimmed the front and rear bumpers off of the JK, received the initial front and rear bumpers I will use, some real nice rock sliders from C*H*U*D, thanks Juan and received two r2j trusses, the front will be modified for 3 link and panhard.

Front bumper gone:

Rear bumper gone:

Chassis coming together: I will cut the plastic sliders off the body and put extenders on the tube work ones to fit the JK

trusses:

yup...slow.....
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

man i cant wait night time scale runs and everything looks good. let me know how you water proof.i want to do the same
richardgarrett56 is offline   Reply With Quote