Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Moony's SCX10 TR Build Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Moony's SCX10 TR Build Thread

Hey guys, just bought a out of the box scx10 TR scaler, i have a honcho and its got a few things done to it, but it just keeps breaking down over and over again so im starting fresh with a TR. I bought a full set of axial aluminum links, and converted the rear to a 4 link set-up. So far im just keeping this a scaler, my honcho was just a beater, heres a few pics of it.. You might have seen it already on a different section.

And heres a few pics of the process of getting the links on for the TR

Front wishbone in

Getting the lower front links in

All done

Front steering done

Rear 4 link bracket bolted on

Where did everything go?

Rear upper links in

Rear done

Thats it for now.. Post some ideas for what you guys recommend. I was thinking a Titan 12t motor, black rims and beadlocks, axial 77-117mm purple shocks, and then maybe some accessories.
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks great Moony. Only thing i can think of right now is a lot of guys move the batt. up front. BTW what tires are on the honcho?
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

looks really good!
what tires are those
oscodawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hp View Post
Looks great Moony. Only thing i can think of right now is a lot of guys move the batt. up front. BTW what tires are on the honcho?
Yeah I definitely need to do that, I can pop wheelies.. i dont feel like tearing my rear bumper up just from wheelies. The tires are Mil Specs ZXL's 2.2's. They are really stiff, but pretty good in mud, they use those tires in the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscodawave View Post
looks really good!
what tires are those
Thanks man
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I am having the xl5 and Titan 12t installed this week on my honcho tr
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

cool?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Looking on rc4wd.com and was browsing around the axle section.. Looking at the k44 front axle, would my driveshaft be at too much of an angle from the offset pinion? I want to eventually get a jeep 4 door jk body and i think getting the front k44 axle would be sweet to make it a real scaler. I would eventually get the rear 44 or the d60.. though the d60 is plastic. I think the k44 front is aluminum, not entirely sure though.

http://store.rc4wd.com/K44-Ultimate-...le-_p_477.html

Also looking at tires, what do you guys recommend?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Got some things done today along with some pictures to follow. Nothing huge but I figured i'd show my idea I had for mounting the hi lift I got for it. I got some black 1.9 wheels, black beadlocks, and used some old flat irons I had laying around. Looks way better now IMO. Heres some of the install of the hi lift, I just used some old bolts and nuts i had laying around as well.

2 holes drilled out for the bolts

Holes drilled in the body

Bolts in

All done, looks sweet

And located the battery up front, its not completely secure but im gonna get some black zip ties. Also I put weights up front, not sure how many oz. but it goes all the way around the inside of the rim. Then I put a couple in the back too, and lifted the shocks up a little bit. Now I need to mount my shovel and axe on the back.

Thats all the update for now

Last edited by MoonyJohn; 02-08-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Friend hooked me up with some Rok Lox 1.9's, set of silver 8 hole rims, and custom made star beadlocks like they have on 1:1 rigs. Looks way more scale now, and sits a little nicer. Just a tiny bit more ground clearance. I used the memory foams from the flat irons and so far they seemed to do pretty well. Also I mounted my other axe and shovel.

Pictures..

Stock Flex, looking at buying some new shocks. Im thinking 110mm up front and 100mm in the back.. any shock recommendations?

Axe and shovel

Current shot

Let me know what you think! I need some more ideas on shocks and what you guys run. I need something soft, no hard to compress shocks..
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome man. I think it would really set it off if the wheels were black and you left the beadlocks silver

Like this. This is what it looked like when I had them mounted. That way you can really see the star
LIFTED-ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

That does look pretty good, but my brother took the black ones. I thought about it but I love the all silver. Looks more "scale" imo..
Old 02-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Finally some wheeling pics. Ive been a couple times already but it was dark out. Some updates I did to it was added front stock ax10 shocks, and I painted the hubs for a scale look. Also took my front windshield off, atleast IMO it looks better.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #13

John do you drive both your crawlers at the same time? i went to the island on saturday and it was super prime! lets go wednesday or thursday after work this week! - Brent
Novak snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak snow View Post
John do you drive both your crawlers at the same time? i went to the island on saturday and it was super prime! lets go wednesday or thursday after work this week! - Brent
No i drive his honcho... Well my honcho, The honcho is mine now... (i hope). I have put it back together a bit.
VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #15

Well that is a sweet deal for you then! so all together you guys have 4 crawlers.. 2 dingos 1 honcho and the ax-10/parts truck? i think im going to get anther crawler im just looking for a good deal on craigslist.
Novak snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Few pics from a couple different days of wheeling. My brother got a comanche body that he put on with his honcho truck bed, looks sweet imo..

I made it out alright

Then my front driveline broke so I went home and put an integy front shaft in. So far no problems with it!

Next day

Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #17

Lookin' good man! Almost as clean as your 1:1! (I'm BigDaveZJ on MC). I dig the Comanche truggy look too, got a Honcho on the way and might do something like that.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Waddup Dave, surprise to see some forums people meet up on an rc forum hahah.. You gonna do some work on your rc like you do with your 1:1?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Done a few things to it lately. I got my brothers old mickey thompsons and just used some black 1.9's and stock axial beadlocks. I like the black look way better with the silver body. I trimmed the fenders a little bit in the front and rear, but its not shown in these pictures. I also got a new tranny gear, my output shaft broke so i got a full metal one from vanquish. Also put my tow rope on it, and took off the front bumper and rear bumper and put a tow hook on the back. I dig the look now. But, none of this stuff i mentioned is shown in pictures. These were taken before any mods. Oh, and I forgot to mention I waterproofed the esc, i used the water balloon technique. Looks solid to me, well see how it performs. I would prefer to do the axles too at some point.

Heres some pictures

Balance

Between a rock and a hard place. I got lucky on this one

Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Been a while guys, I am now running a set of 2.2 rok lox with weights and the stock foams that come with them. I was using some softer foams but it was draining the battery and would stress the motor, so I put the stock ones in and it seems better. Though spinning a 2.2 is much more of a duty than a 1.9. Other than that, the bumpers have been removed, lots of trimming, and I added upgraded ax10 shocks in the back and then stock ax10 shocks up front which I had before. Let me know what you guys think, I think it looks sick! Almost like a buggy. Flexes pretty good too!

Yes I still rub a little bit, just in the front. Only rubs on the sliders and then a little on the front fender.