Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Shock Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

Default Shock Questions

Sorry if this has been asked, but which shocks are going to provide me with some decent travel. I see you guys postin pics up on pop cans and such and it seems like you have way more travel than i do?
any reccomendations?
Are you guys runnin 95mm? 110mm?
EvoChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

your 95mm to 110mm thats the shock overall length what you really want is the shock's actual travel length. I know that the Proline PowerStroke has a shorter travel length than the stock shocks, I've mixed and matched Proline up front and stock in rear that combo has got my honcho over a 7-Up can. I would first try getting rid of your bump stop and take out some oil and see if you like your articulation.
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS412 View Post
your 95mm to 110mm thats the shock overall length what you really want is the shock's actual travel length. I know that the Proline PowerStroke has a shorter travel length than the stock shocks, I've mixed and matched Proline up front and stock in rear that combo has got my honcho over a 7-Up can. I would first try getting rid of your bump stop and take out some oil and see if you like your articulation.
The bump stop does it just come out or do ya gotta cut it out?
xRumblex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
RCC Addict

with proper set-up the stock axial shocks can get u up on a pop can,first remove that piece of rubber on the shock rod its a stop so the shock dont bottom out that will give u a little more flex and its only good for shocks that racers use for big jumps or dropping ur truck off a building no need to have em while crawling, next get u some softer springs the red axial springs are the softest you would be surprise how much flex u will get by doing these two things, you can also put light shock oil in or pour some of the oil out like a half of shock body worth do these things and see where your at, i bet you'll b amazed
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRumblex View Post
you can remove the rod end by holding the shock rod with some tapped up needle nose you dont want to scar ur shock tube or you can just cut it out you'll never need it again anyway its not needed for crawling
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
unscrew the bottom of the shock from the axle, push up (compress) the spring and take it off, pull off the spring retainer, unscrew the rod end, pull off rubber bump stop, put rod end back on, then spring retainer then spring then screw the shock back onto axle.. thats it.. or you can cut them, but i'd do it this way so you can save them.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Take an exacto knife and cut it on one side. Supereasy.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
with proper set-up the stock axial shocks can get u up on a pop can,first remove that piece of rubber on the shock rod its a stop so the shock dont bottom out that will give u a little more flex and its only good for shocks that racers use for big jumps or dropping ur truck off a building no need to have em while crawling, next get u some softer springs the red axial springs are the softest you would be surprise how much flex u will get by doing these two things, you can also put light shock oil in or pour some of the oil out like a half of shock body worth do these things and see where your at, i bet you'll b amazed
Awesome. I'll give that a try tonight and see if I like that. I figured I could get more travel without having to buy new shocks and springs although I will be buying softer springs.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Well do you reccomend going with springs or no springs? Ive seen a few crawlers who are running with no springs? any major difference?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoChaos View Post
Well do you reccomend going with springs or no springs? Ive seen a few crawlers who are running with no springs? any major difference?
no springs? I think you are looking at shocks with internal springs or suspension set up that uses leaf springs. The purpose of the shock is to dampen the spring oscillations during suspension cycle, and the springs insures that the shock returns to its original length. I would toy with the stock suspension and see what you want out of your rig. Try experimenting with different preloads on your springs and also your shock oil. PM me and let me know how it turns out.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
no springs? I think you are looking at shocks with internal springs or suspension set up that uses leaf springs. The purpose of the shock is to dampen the spring oscillations during suspension cycle, and the springs insures that the shock returns to its original length. I would toy with the stock suspension and see what you want out of your rig. Try experimenting with different preloads on your springs and also your shock oil. PM me and let me know how it turns out.
Your right I did mean internal springs. They seem to have a little more travel? Correct me if I am wrong
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #12

does any one know what shock oil weight is in the stock shocks
Jdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdonnelly View Post
does any one know what shock oil weight is in the stock shocks
30wt
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
unscrew the bottom of the shock from the axle, push up (compress) the spring and take it off, pull off the spring retainer, unscrew the rod end, pull off rubber bump stop, put rod end back on, then spring retainer then spring then screw the shock back onto axle.. thats it.. or you can cut them, but i'd do it this way so you can save them.
Not trying to be nit picky, just don't want to confuse the new guy. On reassembly the spring goes on first then the retainer.
Fiveology is offline   Reply With Quote