Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Question: Axial Optional Ratio Gear Sets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Question: Axial Optional Ratio Gear Sets

has anyone used these gears, AX30401 and AX30402? How much of a difference does it make? I like the idea but am a little unsure about dropping $60 if the difference is minimum. Thanks in advance for the answers.
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Running overdrive front and underdrive rear will result in tighter turning radiuses, but unless you compare it back to back with a stock truck, it wouldn't be a super noticable difference. The reduced toqrque twist is a plus, and that will aid in climbs.

Then aain, a scaler cannot be compared to a comp rig, so I wouldn't say it is a necessary updgrade. I would advise you to spend the money elsewhere.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the quick response, so with these gears the truck will pretty much be dragging in the rear wheels right? I take mine hiking a lot and the torque twist is very noticeable...
Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Not always. If you do an underdrive/overdrive combo, ya, you'll either drag or push one of the axles. If you do both under or both over, you'll be just fine. I use them because they're a better quality gear it seems and helical cut gears just work way better than the stock gears. Stock gears also use an "E" clip to secure the pinion onto the input shaft, so getting these gears or the standard heavy duty gears is the way to go. The stock gears can have the "E" clip rip through the pinion metal causing the pinion to work off of the shaft...kinda sucks when you do it in the middle of a trail ride. Anyways....these are the underdrive gears...you can sorta see the helical cut pattern in them.

Heavy duty gears (not stock, but stock gear ratio)

BTW, underdrive 1:3.30, overdrive 1:2.57, so you can kinda see how much it'll be pushing/pulling.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i understand the benefit of helical gearing and thats one of the main reasons I am looking towards into these. if i do a underdrive and overdrive combo what would be the draw backs? excessive tire wear due to the difference in the gear ratio (0.73)?

Thanks for the reply really helps when I hear it from someone who actually runs it on their rig.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

The problem with going both over or both under is that you defeat the torque twist reducing properties and increase crawl ability that the gear sets provide.

Your tires will scrub more due to the difference in roational speeds, but having your front wheels spin faster than your rears, you rig is less likely to flip on steeper climbs as the front tires work harder to pull the truck up as opposed to the raer trying to push it uphill (which leads to flipping)

If you simply want better gear mesh, then go with the standard HD geare set.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

so pretty much with over/under combo I'll prob need to replace my rear tires sooner than my front, but I'll have a better chance on hill climbs (no more back flips).
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Not no more back flips.... less back flips. Tire wear will vary depending on terrian.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

There has been a bucket load of threads on this subject.
This was the last one started and its got some good info in it:

over and under drive
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

yes correction "less" backflips
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Another option is to use the stock gear ratios in one of the axles (38/13 or 1:2.92) and then underdrive in the other....provides you with some difference, but will reduce tire wear if you're that concerned about it.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

most trails i hike on are packed dirt or boulders so i dont think the surface will be that harsh on it. my concern is prob the average ~4mi i usually do.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

talked to my hobby (addiction) dealer going to go with the 36/14 for the front for now.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS412 View Post
talked to my hobby (addiction) dealer going to go with the 36/14 for the front for now.
I normally just overdrive the front and keep stock gearing in the rear as the overdrive gear ratio difference is greater than the difference between the underdrive and stock.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I ran under drive gears in the rear for a year, worked pretty well. I recently rebuilt my front end and went with the over drive front gears. The under AND over drive combination works really well. You have the ability to use more throttle without doing back flips, better turning radius, less slop, and the front pulls better. It's just all around better. Never had a tire wear issue, but I usually don't keep tires long enough to ever have an issue lol
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

nice! well the over and under gearing was what i wanted to do also it benefits from a better gear contact due to the surface area. always like helical more than spurs guess thats the ME in me. we'll see how the tires are after a few hikes
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

what about these http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/ax...-90006890.html
Same ratio as stock but helical cut. Any one know if there good?
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
what about these http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/ax...-90006890.html
Same ratio as stock but helical cut. Any one know if there good?
3 racing actually makes some pretty decent stuff. But axial sells an HD gear set with the same ratio and the helical cut...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
3 racing actually makes some pretty decent stuff. But axial sells an HD gear set with the same ratio and the helical cut...

I thought axials are only under and over drive in the heli cut and the hd standard gear set is not heli ??
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
I thought axials are only under and over drive in the heli cut and the hd standard gear set is not heli ??
You are correct. See the pictures above.