Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: leaf springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default leaf springs

okay so i have been looking into doing leaf springs for a little realism effect and i was wondering. If i put leafs in the rear do i still need to have links of will the leafs hold the axle in place?
scx10mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

You will need to have lower links at the VERY least. You would benefit greatly from a traction (anti-wrap) bar as the leafs will not stand a chance at keeping to axle located properly.

Last edited by TSK; 03-18-2011 at 05:33 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Leaf springs are designed keep the axle centered, but can also cause axle wrap. I think this is why "ScorpionKing" said you need atleast lower links. Just make sure the links will not cause any binding during suspension cycling.
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

thanks for the help guys but what exactly is and anti-wrap bar? does anyone have pictures? is it something different from links?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I dont have a pic but you can google ladder bars or traction bars and see how the 1:1's work. Its the same concept install the leafs and then mount 1 lower link to the bottom side of the axle under where the leaf spring is mounted on each side.

what happens is under extreme torque the leaf will twist or wrap in the opposite direction the wheels are moving and if they bend good once there pretty much shot, with a ladder bar installed it will hold the axle from twisting or " axle wrap" you wont need a side to side link or " pan hard bar" as the leafs are designed to keep the axle centered but the lower links keep it from torque twisting.

I went through 3 sets of springs and add a leafs before I just said screw it and fabbed up some ladder bars ... now the u joint is the weak link again

Last edited by Diesel-tech; 03-18-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Too complex

Call me crazy, but I think you should try a leaf spring setup without anti wrap bars first. Unless you are going to use a massive 1/8 scale brusless setup, I don't think that axle wrap will be much of a problem.

I have only seen links and leaves on one rig. It was a very custom dual suspension setup with a 3 or 4 link and leaves with shackles on both ends. It was in JP or Petersen's a long time ago.

When in doubt, keep it simple.

Good luck on your build!
Team Tactical Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Here's a well designed (but ugly, sorry Tommy) "anti-wrap" bar. This is one the front end of Tommy R's "Big Oly" build. The "anti-wrap" bar starts on post #54

Tommy R's TTC Build - "Big Oly"

And this isa video of how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzIyaogSu4

If you look in the scaler sections, and do a search for "traction bars" or "leaf springs" you should find some other "prettier" setups. I think Just Zach's Formula Toy had a nice one Iif i recall correctly.

EDIT: Found the pic of Just Zach's F-Toy's traction bar setup. Differs slightly in design (a swinging shackle replaces the "sliding rod" on Tommy's design) but simple and probably much easier to make.

Damn i'm good. That'll be $15.99 Please

if you are planning on 3s (or more) and a 35t handwound, a puller, or brushless, you WILL need them, at least in the rear.

Last edited by TSK; 03-18-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

thanks a million for all the help. I'm goin to need them for sure. i'll be running a VXL on 3s lipo on my next build and i need to do leafs so i can match my inspiration...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62BQfTFljo

What do ya'll think about that for a build? i'm in love with the what this truck looks even with being a chevy guy. Any other suggestions on truck that i might copy
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx10mudder View Post
thanks a million for all the help. I'm goin to need them for sure. i'll be running a VXL on 3s lipo on my next build and i need to do leafs so i can match my inspiration...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62BQfTFljo

What do ya'll think about that for a build? i'm in love with the what this truck looks even with being a chevy guy. Any other suggestions on truck that i might copy
That truck is sky high. You should build it and put a summit trans in it.

Oh and as k 62pyro if he can make you some lowers like that.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

yeah thats what i'm thinking too and i might just do that. but this will be my first totally me build you know so i might try in all on my own
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

on my H1 hummer running the rcbros leaf kit..

i just ran 1 upper link to the frame in the original mounting location
to the stock 3link piece on the axle..works fine.

ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote