Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Boogie's Secksy10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Boogie's Secksy10

Had my new SCX10 Dingo for a little over a month now and wanted to show it off, but I wanted to wait until I got a few things done to it to help set it out from the rest.

Along the way, while adding the cosmetic changes to the body, I added a Castle BEC then yanked the stock AE-1 esc and added a new Castle Sidewinder V2 so I could run 3S lipos. I also did the usual adding weight to the wheels and cutting out the bump stops on the shocks to give it a little extra flex. Future upgrades will include a 35t motor of some kind, probably a 645MG steering servo, new radio system (either a DX3C or 4PL), hardcore waterproofing of all the electronics, a nylon cover over the motor to keep the grit out when running in water and mud, and some more scale accessories. Pics will be updated as I add on some more stuff and possibly change the body altogether.

I probably won't run this body for very long as I'll either get a clear lexan dingo body to paint black, or run a project body I'm currently working on that I'm not quite ready to show off yet. Either way, here is my Dingo in all its glory.

Started off with the bare bones outta the box look with the typical posing...

Added some homemade bungies, sleeping bags, and a hitch ball...

Made a custom grille with some styrene sheet, then took some 1:16 scale plastruct diamond plate abs sheeting and made some hood panels, headlight bezels, and tailgate panels. Also put in some headlight buckets from a JK scaler I used to have.

The batteries I'll be running. Haven't heard much about them but I got two 2200mah 3S 30C lipos to my office for less than $32 shipped from HobbyPartz.com. I'll post a review of them after I put them through a few cycles. They are pretty, but they'll end up being stuffed in a balloon when I plan on running through much water, which pretty much means all the time.

Last (for now) but not least, made some sand ramps by taking a couple bullet racks from some empty packs of CCI MiniMag 22 ammo and coated them with some spray on plasti dip, then took a $2 bird suet holder and chopped it into a roof rack and coated it with some spray on plasti dip and added an RPM Lightbar with custom mounts. I wasn't a fan of the windshield mounts, they just didn't look right to me, so I fabbed up some spacers to bring the mounts out to the end, then used some longer screws to run the mount and spacers directly into the roll cage.

Stay tuned for more updates such as a custom made drop interior with seats and some new scaler accessories and a big set of LED's for the lightbar from www.billscustomrclighting.com

Last edited by Boogie; 03-29-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Great start! I like the diamond plating on the hood and tailgate!
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

looks good. where did you get the diamond plate?
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

where did you get the diamond plate. it looks cool
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hobbytown USA, but you can order it at RPPHobby.com or TowerHobbies as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I mounted my light bar the same way, I guess great minds think alike...
There really is no other way to do it on the Dingo body... Now I just have to get the led's mounted in it...
Your rig is looking good!, keep us updated.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Good idea on the .22 divider ramps. I have a bunch of those laying around. I wonder if they're strong enough to actually use them?
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

very nice indeed, ive had my dingo for almost 3 months now, and have done a few things to it also, i love your light bar setup, ima have to steal the idea lol.
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Good idea on the .22 divider ramps. I have a bunch of those laying around. I wonder if they're strong enough to actually use them?
Yeah, they're pretty strong. They won't take a 5ft fall with a rig landing on top of them though. You can pretty much guess how I figured that out...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Took it down to the local crawling spot for its maiden run this weekend. It performed pretty darn good, exceeding my expectations. I only managed to break one thing, lol. It was one of my sand ramps, and that was after taking a nasty 5ft fall off of a ledge straight onto its roof. The Sidewinder V2 worked pretty good, although I need to program in some more drag brake. The Blue Lipos worked really well. I ended up only running one of them though. I ran it for well over an hour on one battery and didn't have time to switch to the other and run it some more.

Anyhow, here's some pics and a video...