Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: help with scx 10, new to crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Default help with scx 10, new to crawling

I got my scx 10 last week and i want to do some mods to it,
I seen some with 2.2 and i realy like the look of them, but do they help any?
if i get the 2.2 should i get new shocks for it, i was thinking the losi 4'' shocks.
And i got the rtr verson so i want to get the metal upgrade kit for it to.
In my tires now i took out the foam and put bbs in them, and a friend from my lhs said i should cut little holes in the tires to let the air move through, should i cut them?

Is there any other mods i should do?
nickels918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Depends on the look your going for. 2.2 will give you more traction and axal clearance but dont look very scale.

Put the memory foam back in and get lead strips similar to what tyre shops use to balance 1:1 wheels. Also I wouldnt cut/drill holes if you go in any mud or water as your tyres will fill full of shit.
rusty577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #3

i like the look of this truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_J0cSc6rQ

if i get 2.2 should i get the swampers?
And do i need to get new shocks
Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
riz
Quarry Creeper

that Honcho in the video looked ok but I have no idea what the driver was trying to do............it was a painful 3:11 to watch.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

That video was painful

You can use standard shocks

Will need alot of trimming depending on the size of the tyre

http://axialracing.com/wordpress/201...on-your-scx10/
rusty577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You do not need to replace the shocks. If you go to a longer shock, like the 4" Losis you mentioned, it will throw off the geometry too much, and may even not fit. You have to look at the links, pinion angles, ride height, etc. If you raise it up too high, you will be way top heavy and tip over all the time. Keep the ride height low, and trim the body (if you stick with the Honcho lid, you basically only have to worry about the front). It's the same as 1:1 rigs. If you want show, lift it. If you want go, trim it.

You asked about venting. There are two different trains of thought here, and neither are wrong. You can vent them two ways: through the wheel or through the tire. I prefer to vent the wheel personally, more consistent and I don't have to worry about having a tear in the tire. A lot of guys vent the tires, especially when they have aluminum wheels so they don't have to drill into the wheel. I don't like this because if you run through any water or dirt, it gets into the tire. However, if any water gets in, it is a lot easier to get out (just spin the tires in the air, water expels itself).

The only reason you can run the tires without foams is because they are not vented. Once you vent them, you will have to run foams, which you should anyway. You can star cut them, or get a good set from CI. Lots of info on the forum about foams.

And mods? They are infinite. All depends on what you are using the rig for, do you prefer scale appearance or are you looking for performance? How OCD are you? SO many directions a build can take, its all what you like and what you intend to do.

If you like the mud, I would say yes, go 2.2. Get some big-lugged tires so they clear, invest in some marine grease for your diffs, waterproof the electronics, and get electronics that can handle 3S.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

i run traxxas bigbores(4") on my 10 with 2.2 tires and the truck is stable as hell and i didnt have to trim the body because it rarely rubs. none of the angles were affected and it crawls great , almost as good as my bully. if you want a scale look stay with the set up you have, if you want a truck to slop thru the mud and rocks than go with bigger shocks and tires you wont be dissapointed as for venting i removed 1 screw from each wheel on the bead locks to act like a venting hole.

Last edited by crawlhog; 04-03-2011 at 09:02 AM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #8

Well i had plans on triming the OD body and buying a new body an paint it. so if i want to play around use the 2.2 set up then change to 1.9 when i want to be scale.

or instead of triming make it like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXsui9qXeE

Last edited by nickels918; 04-03-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

or i can leave it with 1.9 and make it more scale then just buy me a comp rig to bash around.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I'm running 1.9 Boggers on my SCX with the 4" Losi shocks and it works great. The belly clearance is very helpful you just have to be careful because of course it'll have a higher center of gravity. I can still pull off some off camber technical lines with the truck it just takes more patience and planning.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.2, axial honcho, mods, stock