Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: tazman's Ford F-350 Truggy build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default tazman's Ford F-350 Truggy build

So, I'm new to this crawling stuff, but not to the R/C hobby. Started way back with a Kyosho Raider and it has been off and on since then. I have a plan of where I would like this build to go, hence this thread.

Living in Hawaii has it's perks, but for R/C we are limited to our LHS's which are not very many. Majority of vehicles and parts are mail order, but sometimes the shipping cost is cheaper than the local costs.

I started out with a new SCX-10 Honcho RTR and have had it about a month. As this build/re-build progress's, I will have updates.

All stock Axial except for the following mods,
MotoWorx 1.9 bead-lock rims
RC4WD Iroks
MIP shafties
4 link rear
R2J Kustoms 4 link truss
Custom made links front and back
Axial front steering upgrade
Proline Ford Raptor body
Axial 103mm aluminum shocks
still playing with weight in the rims and with the foams

Future mods, YES!!

Let me know what ya think so far.

Now on to the pics and I am not posting pics of the stock Honcho body since we all know what it looks like.

Sorry, no action pics yet, but I have had it out and it amazes me how well it will climb stuff. Now the driver just needs to learn this crawling stuff better.

Peace be the journey

Last edited by tazman; 04-23-2011 at 01:48 PM.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

nice use of the 'pede raptor body.. I was eye balling mine and thinking about trying it on the scx10.. heh..

nice truck.. I am new to the scx10 scene and have pretty much the same mods on my truck 'cept with proline shocks and junfac shafts.. fun little ride these scx10's are.. I am kind of wondering what to do next on mine also..
crumplez0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice looking rig!!!
Although, I wouldn't have gone with that body
I really like the custom wheel wells

Those custom links are probably the BEST mod you've done so far!!!
offacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments.

crumplez0ne I'd like to see your SCX10 build as it sounds like ours are pretty close. I have some new tube work that I will be using soon and completely changing this build to what I am really looking to do. Should come out pretty nice. I'll post updates soon.

offacup, would really like to see your current build also. Yes, the links were a very good upgrade, but so far the MIP stafties are the Best upgrade to date. The links are cheap and really easy to make, so I recommend to anyone that is looking for a good cheap upgrade that will make your Axial flex better, 4 link it and make some metal links.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Okay, title change as parts are starting to come in for this build. Will have pics as soon as the rest of the stuff is here. Have an MG200 built truggy cage, sliders and front bumper, excellent craftsmanship I might add, and will be using the Tamiya F-350 body. Should prove to be a fun build. Updates to follow!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Ford??? NOOOOO!!!!!!

I thought you were gonna do the TUNDRA...

hahaha... joke

can't wait to see the finished product...
Old 04-24-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Parts are in so here are some poser shots. This is a trial fit and I figured I'd take some pics to post. Long way to go, but it's a start. Need to figure out colors for both the cab and the tuber parts. Plus many other custom built parts. This is going to be fun.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Parts are in so here are some poser shots. This is a trial fit and I figured I'd take some pics to post. Long way to go, but it's a start. Need to figure out colors for both the cab and the tuber parts. Plus many other custom built parts. This is going to be fun.

It's good to see something different. Ford Truggy... not my first choice but still a really Nice Build!!!

Gotta do something about the ESC battery wire , wouldn't want that to get caught in the spur
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

wow, that thing looks proper tuff.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Looks awesome, not a truggy yet though
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post

that cage work for the bed is just the bee's knees awesome not trying to hijack, but im workin on a scx tr dingo. kuttin up a k5 blazer proline body into a pickup and have been trying to come up with something for the bed and maintain a scale look overall. if you dont mind me asking as to where you got the cage from? awesome build so far, looking forward to seeing more
klown41143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klown41143 View Post
that cage work for the bed is just the bee's knees awesome not trying to hijack, but im workin on a scx tr dingo. kuttin up a k5 blazer proline body into a pickup and have been trying to come up with something for the bed and maintain a scale look overall. if you dont mind me asking as to where you got the cage from? awesome build so far, looking forward to seeing more

He got it from me.
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yep, what he said!!^^^^^

MG200 is the person if you want cage work done that I recommend. He's a vendor here on RCCRAWLER, just look here: MG200 Designs - chassis and tubework vendor. I know he can hook you up with exactly what you are looking for!

Thanks for the comments about the rig. I've been doing a little work on it. Got everything mocked up and am thinking about how to get everything mounted where I want it.

Before starting this part of my build, the weight was around 5.2 pounds or so. Now, it's up to 7.8 pounds. By the time I get it closer to being finished, I say this loosely since projects are never 100% finished, it should be about 8 1/2 pounds or so.

Anyone have any color suggestions, post'em!! That would be for both the cage and body. I've got some ideas, but nothing solid yet.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Update with some pics.

In these first couple of pics just showing the move of the electronics to sliders.

Some how the red motor wire broke off. Out comes the soldering gun.

Flex shots.

With my son and his AX-10 on the maiden run for the F-350. Not painted or really completed yet, just wanted to see how it runs.

Did some rollovers and got some rock rash on the body and window, but it was a good test run. Gotta put more weight in the rear and make the small bed I plan to install. More to come!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

came out great man...
crumplez0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #16
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

I dig how you mounted the electronics on the sliders, Looking really good
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I know its probably plain jane but I would leave that body white since scratches will never take off the paint and maybe clear it. Then you could paint the tube work or powdercoat black, or even Blue. I know boring but it would offfer some resistance to horrible scratches to the body.
drtrydr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG200 View Post
I dig how you mounted the electronics on the sliders, Looking really good
Thanks Trenton, it's an idea I got from a friend. So, offacup, thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrydr2000 View Post
I know its probably plain jane but I would leave that body white since scratches will never take off the paint and maybe clear it. Then you could paint the tube work or powdercoat black, or even Blue. I know boring but it would offfer some resistance to horrible scratches to the body.
It's a pretty good idea actually. I sprayed it blue, but after looking at it and thinking the same thing as you, I may just strip it and leave it white. If I can get the decals made that I have in mind, white will work.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

^^^ No prob... but my mod wasn't as clean as yours... kinda ghetto rigged mine with zip ties... hahaha

and I really gotta give credit to Mr. Hamma Time, who originally gave me the idea...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #20
RCC Addict

lookin good man! i did my electronics the same way on my hilux mounted to the sliders like that.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote