Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Lr3 Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Lr3 Rebuild

As of right now i am scaling with the proline jeep body. which looks like This....

Now there is nothing wrong with the jeep body, in fact I love it. But I miss my landy. So im slowly going to be rebuilding the body, to be better looking, more scale, and also better fitting for the chassis. If you dont know what my rover looked like previously then take a peak at this....

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P3240040.jpg

Like i said this is a rebuild so im going to start over again. This includes readjusting the mounts, wheel base, paint, bumpers, scale accessories, and everything else that has to do with it.
Colorofkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Here is the start of the rebuild, i began by sanding the body of its green paint, and as well the windows to get the fake mud off.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have trimmed the front bumper of the lr3 and the axial bumper to better fit the body and as well better mount the lr3 body. i feel the biggest boo boo i had originally with the lr3 was the actual mounting job. The back was raised way to high where as the front was just a little high. it really took away from the scale appearance and took away from the real lr3 feel.

here are a few pics of the bumper mods.

Let me know what you think!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Originally I was going to rebuild to a basic white and black lr3, kinda boring nothing outta the box, just a cool trail rig, yay? Well I came across something that pushed me into another direction.

this is a jeep liberty. it was custom built for the moab jeep Easter safari. Gotta say it is a sick looking truck.

This motivated me to build something more safari influenced. back to land rovers roots, except using a touch of their new (an lr3) Im taking some ideas from some bad ass lr3 rigs such as these. This gave me some different ideas as to configurations of bumpers racks and over all appearance.

Originally those pics were to determine my color of the rig. I was really leaning towards that grey one. then i came across this... the color and style just hit me like a bat. I thinks its gonna be good!! The color will have a nice rusty look to, and rugged.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Ah, I love Land Rovers and I just can't get enough of these sick builds. I think I'm going to pick up a SCX10 and start my own build. I'm a desert rally nut and I want to go with a Dakar-styled theme with number plates on the doors.

Great job so far, can't wait to see this build finished
ohdeeuhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdeeuhm View Post
Ah, I love Land Rovers and I just can't get enough of these sick builds. I think I'm going to pick up a SCX10 and start my own build. I'm a desert rally nut and I want to go with a Dakar-styled theme with number plates on the doors.

Great job so far, can't wait to see this build finished
That would be really cool to! not gonna lie, i would love to see it done.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here are some examples of the way the bumper will look (not exact, but similar) just examples. These arent lr3's though, these are just discos which are even better! but of course they dont make a disco body in America!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Picked up the 2 paints that I wanted for the build. I got a tan paint and a textured black paint for the roof rack, fenders, snorkel and everything. also ordered a 3racing winch andd some new leds for the build!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

testing the paints out, the tan looks perfect. im looking at using the textured paint as my primer to give it that old and rugged finish, so it doesnt look smooth, yet is still glossy to the touch. 9similar to the feel of an old car that was never waxed.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here are a few more photos, i feel the previous pics were of the worst quality. Here are a few new photos of the bumper and the body. the bumper will be mounted a little tighter to the body then it is in these photos though.

Showing a Little clearance

Let me know what you think
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Trying to figure out a replacement for those axial fenders. the way the body is trimmed is perfect for the wheel size. There is little to no bite from the wheels. This also allows me to drop the body to a scale ride height, which better fits the bumper too. The rear bumper will be coming off (so don't say it doesn't fit, I know this) it is only on the chassis because it goes with the jeep I have mounted on right now. I have a 3racing winch on its way in the mail as well as rear red leds, and leds for headlights. Im going to figure out the light scheme, Im going to get a few split adapters so i can get working bucket lights up top on the roof, and have the head lights. Might get some rock lights and a few other goodies once I get more into the build.

Here are some pics of the trimmed fenders, if anyone has any ideas, the would be gladly appreciated!

Also Here are the paints that i found. the tan will be the main body color, the gloss black will be for the windows, and the texture black for roof rack, snorkel and etc.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

You're doin an awesome job building it to scale. I like the paint scheme. Especially the yellow scrapes on the front. Lookin good. Keep up the awesome work. Just seen the windshield too. Nice touch

Tbolt meatclaws-talkatap
inkdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Was gonna wait a few days but was to excited, Started painting this evening. So far I have the light cages and the windows painted up with black gloss paint. As well I have done my first coat of the textured black paint on the body. I will use it as my primer. After trying out the paints on a few samples the tan paint coats the textured paint quite well leaving a more textured finish. After I finish the base coat of black I will the use the liquid mask to cover up all the black trim in which I will paint the final color!!!!! pics up soon!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Here are some pics of the painting so far. The body is painted with the textured paint

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Got my 3racing winch in, along with the lights. Got to get a few more thing before I can really put it together, prob another couple sets of leds, and led y adapter. Gonna figure out my bucket light situation. I wanna light this sucker up good. Gotta get some Painters tape so I can finish the paint job, and also I need to figure out how Im going to mount the mirrors. Im thinking about mounting them with a screw and a shit ton of super glue. Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorofkris View Post
Got my 3racing winch in, along with the lights. Got to get a few more thing before I can really put it together, prob another couple sets of leds, and led y adapter. Gonna figure out my bucket light situation. I wanna light this sucker up good. Gotta get some Painters tape so I can finish the paint job, and also I need to figure out how Im going to mount the mirrors. Im thinking about mounting them with a screw and a shit ton of super glue. Any suggestions?
Super glue would probably break too easy? I would mix a little two-part epoxy instead and use a little dab.
jammindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammindriver View Post
Super glue would probably break too easy? I would mix a little two-part epoxy instead and use a little dab.
Was gonna glue the screw into it. Im debating on even putting them on though, They stick out to far and have no give, im afraid they might break the body if i put it on to tough. Thank you though, I will look into it!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

i will have a big update including pictures of the status so far, as of right now I have taped off all of the areas that will remain black, i also did zebra stripes very similar to the jeep liberty in the picture above. i have out my first coat on the lr3 of the tan paint. I made a few changes to my truck as well, I have further trimmed the front end to fit the winch. As well i have gotten my hands on a spare wheel/tire that better fits the body, it doesn't looks so big on the back of the truck, so it looks a little more scale. on that note, I have picked up a few little goodies to add to the roof rack as well. pics of everything will be up tomorrow or Wednesday.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Cool, can't wait for the update.
jammindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

The painting process