Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My Honcho in the Wolf Creek RC ORV Park

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Honcho in the Wolf Creek RC ORV Park

Here are some pics of my Honcho in my RC ORV park. Honcho is pretty much stock kit. added some scale stuff to the back & tacoma decal set. Rooster Crawler, 35T Rock Star motor, Spektrum radio.

DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

very cool!! i like that. is that really a "rc park" or is that setup the you made or something? it looks to be very organized & purpose built!

thanks for the pics!
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks, It started as an overgrown section of our yard which is very rocky.

I wanted to make the yard a little bigger so I started clearing the brush & then burning it to kill all the ground cover. What I was left with was prime scale crawling terain. I spray it every year with round up to keep stuff from growing back. 3 years ago, I started crawling in it & started calling it the rock garden. last year, I made my first bridge, this year added more bridges, picnic table, tiki torches, signs & some gravel & sand to makes some roads within the park. I also use a gas powered leaf blower to keep all the debri off it.

Our property has a creek on one side, Wolf Creek, so I came up with name Wolf Creek RC ORV park. so yes, it is a real park & purpose built but it's private, i.e. my front yard. And although I've added a lot too it, 95% of the rock is where I found it. I've moved a few around here and there but just little stuff.

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 06-23-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #4

That is really cool. Thanks a lot for sharing the pictures!
ilten
ilten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That's awesome!!! Every scalers dream front yard. Nice additions.

Scott
wally101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

thanks guys, here is link to CR01 pics if you want to see more shots of the terrain park:

Wolf Creek ORV Park
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally101 View Post
That's awesome!!! Every scalers dream front yard. Nice additions.

Scott
Yes, that is frickin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

nice place ya got, got any more pic's?
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Really nice park. Truck looks good too. "Caution Men Playing"
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

In my opinion The white body looks the best on the honcho. And I'm pretty jealous of the rc park, I want one in my backyard too haha
JohnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. My first honcho body was red & as soon as I painted it, I thought this would look good in pearl white & I like it too.

Here is the only video I have. My sister made it over two years ago so it was after I had cleared all the vegetation but before I "improved" it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXUUeh5ppPw

Few more pics showing more of the park:

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 06-24-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #12

That is awesome. I sure wish I had something like that within an hours drive from my place and it's in your back yard.
LKN Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
"HOLLYWOOD"

Great pics. place looks insane love the bridges, nice work.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

One of the coolest backyards ever Good work.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Nice setup. I need to work out some kind of scale track here real soon.

Question, what do you like better the CR01 or the SCX10?
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the kind words. My next big project (currently working on a Highlift Hilux & Gelande/Defender) is going to be a scale 4x4 Garage/Service station & Wilderness outpost. It will be 1/4" Sintra board & windows & doors from styrene. I want to light the pumps & have neon signs in the windows, etc.

I've drawn it up in AutoCAD. Here is a rendering (11' long, Yikes!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
Nice setup. I need to work out some kind of scale track here real soon.

Question, what do you like better the CR01 or the SCX10?

That's a tough one. The CR01 was a fun kit to build, lot of parts. It's fun to drive too, I like the FJ body. The SCX10 is more scale looking, hard to break & they are the most bang for the buck in a scale truck kit, IMO. I'd have a tough time if I had to choose between them.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

A scale garage is freakin cool. It's gonna be 11 feet long? How wide? Sounds like you're getting big enough to use prefabbed roof trusses meant for sheds and outbuildings lol. Otherwise it wouldn't behard to build your own using 1x3s. Are you gonna be building it out of real buildingmaterials to mke it a real outdoor weatherproof building? Maybe half inch pressure treated plywood would be good for walls and roof. Then if you get some 3 tab shingles you could cut them up and make them look scale and appropriate for a building of it's size. Plus with a little tar you could make the roof watertight like a real one. Can you tell I'm a carpenter and have way too much experience in building residential structures? Then agan the model train guys build lots of buoldings and that might be an easier route to go but I doubt one of their buildings will survive a snow storm!

The reason I ask about the SCX and CR01 is I'm getting ready to get a scaler. I can only have one and I have no idea which one to get. Seems the CR01 would be more fun to build but the SCX would perform better. Such a difficult choice!
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Hey Fed, just getting back from the weekend. no internet at the house. I was going to go the route of marine grade plywood but after talking with some of the garden guage RR guys, they do the entire structure from PVC foam core board and styrene trim & let them sit outside year round. G-gauge is 1/22 scale but I've seen some really large buildings. I'll need to do some internal bracing of some sort, I hadn't thought of doing it scale but why not? would make sense to do roof trusses.

If I were looking for a chassis to start a econo scale build, I would definately go with the SCX10. They look more scale & so many more scale parts available. RcBros has leaf springs & I have a 80 series land cruiser body & I will probably use a SCX10 for that.

The CR01 was never near as popular as the Honcho, but it is one of my favorite trucks. It's just fun to build & fun to drive.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Nice rig. It's nice that you can make a few mods if and when necessary and go right outside to test em out. Change it up real quick and head back out to the rocks with a few steps. Are there any other areas where you live that you scale on? Or do you just stay in your rock domain? I'm not sure if I would go anywhere else. LOL

Tbolt meatclaws-talkatap
inkdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I'll have to say, I don't get to far from the house. But more because I have 3 young kids & wife works on weekends so I hang out with them in the rocks. Plus, I've gotten to where I have a few friends that have kids the same age as mine & they like to come over & run trucks and the kids entertain each other.

I never thought of it that way, but yea I do get a good idea of what works & what doesn't. This terrain will eat a body & drive train up. Honcho drive train is solid, stock drive shafts broke for the first time last night, but the lexan body, because it bolts directly to the rigid cage, takes a beating & cracks where it ataches to the cage. My Venom Creeper couldn't hold up to the terrain & I finally gave up & took all the electronics out & putting them on my Gelande.