Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Ressurection of an SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The Ressurection of an SCX10

Well brief story. Two weeks ago, I came upon a craigslist ad for 2 rock crawlers. one was a RedCat rs10 crawler, the other.. an Axial scaler. So I e-mail him asking for pics. shoot me a grainy cell phone picture.. got some info, specs and what not. suprised to hear it came with a custom built chassis, set of beadlocks and other mud tires. Novak Goat 2s 17.5 system(non crawlin) servo tx/rx 3 junk bodies. Meet up with the guy. and this truck was nothing I expected! I offerd the guy a basic XL-5 rustler with ax-1 esc axial TX/RX, stock axial 27t motor and a futaba servo. He's a bittin'. Made the trade and came home with a rubble of a project.

Phase 1. being too imbassed to show what it looked like here is what I did befor. ditched the bodies. grinded off a 1/2" round tube make shift roll bar on the back, smooothed the welds clean. cleaned upsome un even holes stripped the chassis down to this:

Started to rebuild the chassis with new even holes. alot of the old ones were off about an 1/8th of an inch. I belive that was due to the homemade skid plate the guy had.

This is the straighest I could get the chassis using the existing braces the guy used. the mounts were nice and adjustable.

This is the homemade skid plate to go along with the chassis, the support bars are alot shorter than the skid and it pulled the chassis in the middle and threw off all the holes for everything else.

***pic coming soon photobucket froze didnt load**

Next up is the axles. ohhh boy what a mess. The guy beat up on the truck pretty good and made some un-nessesary mods. Pictures says a 1000 words.

Busted 3-Link mount, Make shift ax10 lock outs. Yes this was an AX-10 befor a scaler.

He made a custom 3-Link to 4-link mount?!

Here is a good shot of the Homemade servo mount he did:

Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

By this point of messing around with the chassis, skid plate, mounting points ect. I decided the chassis was going to be too much hassle and sold it. Much thanks to HOTRODSONOMA for picking the chassis up cheap.

Ended up selling my creeper, buying a hpi blitz and made an order from RPPHOBBY.com on fathers day and a few new parts came in the mail.

*I didnt get the honcho body from them, thats my old one that im using for the build.*

I was hoping that rpp would of thrown in some rpphobby stickers so i could show off the great effort from them and getting my package here quick.

Next up came some tinkering around and got this together.

The guy was using i belive to be E-MAXX tunbuckels as his lower links in the rear. This is what I came up with:

came out to be about 98mm from thread to thread. I cut up some 1/4" x .035 aluminum Tubing and placed the turnbuckels inside. This is better than All-thread for strenght and a bit more added weight. Im going to be using these as my lower links in the front.

I got both links made up 98mm. Traxxas rod ends. These are tough. Tougher than an and eskimo womans nipples in december.

Realizing i forgot to order new long dogbones with my lock outs, I fabed up a quick rear lock out system just for mock up. waiting for long dogbones to finish the reare axle.

A couple of things i really like about this Hobby and this website. RCCRAWLER.COM helped me to learn how to fab up your own parts.
Here I took the servo mount from my other scx10. and traced out on to 16g steel and started to drill holes. This is very strong and weights a bit more than the aluminum axial servo mount. so its going to also ad weight up front.

Well this is how its currently sitting on the table. I am waiting to get some scx10 shocks to finish fabing up the upper links. The shocks the guy used were i belive from a Savage so it jacks this truck up high, I want to keep it stock because the drive shafts were just about to their max.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

awesome, looking forward to seeing this done
phre0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You certainly made a lot of tinkering for yourself, yet I suppose thats why we do this

I'm subscribing....curious how she'll come out in the end.
jammindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well I DO appreciate all your comments, yes it quite the project, but basicly done only if i had 2 things. Stock SCX10 shocks, and the long straight axles for the rear. other than that, body is there, only take a few mins to fab up some upper links. tires slider all there. good too go. lol
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Keep digin man you will get er done. looks good so far even for a "junk yard" build
Butcherinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Well, I have an update. The GF had to work most of yesterday and the boy went to his moms house. Me, I cracked open a few Mt. Dews and cranked the radio and did some work!

Cut another set of lower links along with a set of upper links for the rear:

Got the rear finished up and mounted:

Alright. This is where I cheated
I didn't have enough meterial to finish the uppers for the front, so I had some 55mm threaded links, cut some 25mm spacers and made a quick temporary front upper link untill I make it to the LHS on monday to get more aluminum.

Sliders on:

Well, Thats how its sitting now, still need to get the dogbones, shocks and more aluminum for the links. servo mount is almost done, should have it driving by the end of today but the drive shafts are a tad short, only about 1/4" of bite thats because of the jacked to the sky shocks that are on it.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Well i got some longer rear dogbones and installed them in the rear to get rid of the rear steer. I will get pictues later today, Had to move some things around the servo wast hitting the chassis brace when compressed, Changed up the fron links to 91mm and got more aluminum and made 63mm upper links.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

you definately brought it a long way and those shocks look like stock hpi mt-2 shocks to me
speed king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

bring'em back from the dead.
diggindeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

What a turnaround from it's hack and slapped together first form to where it is now. Great job.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote