Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Natedog's Honcho kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Natedog's Honcho kit build

Front and rears done.

Bent rear axle shaft, hard to photograph how bent it really is.

Switching to WB8s on this truck now lol

Looks so narrow

Last edited by Natedog; 10-01-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #302
I wanna be Dave

Nate, the stance is killer! The axles look great. I really like how the axial lockouts flow with the rear..... How is your steering with the axial chubs and highsteers compared to the vp 8 degree set up? Give us some lock to lock pics of the steering please......
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #303
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! Axial aluminum lockouts match the rest of the housing diameter and look better than any others imo and give little more ground clearance. Steering is great, I've been running the Axial high-steer knuckles for years with Axial CVDs and now VP VVDs, never had any lack of steering, but the 8 degree setup may steer slightly better due to built-in king-pin inclination. VP 8* setup also requires much wider front wheel offset or the steering arms will cut/rip the inner tire sidewalls. I like narrow and scale-ish axles.

I'll get some pics later of steering lock to lock.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #304
I wanna be Dave

As requested! Good steering, but I really want to see SSD's c-hubs and knuckles, hopefully they are non-ackerman high steer but don't allow the steering linkage to bottom oout on the frame rails before the shocks are fully compressed.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #305
I wanna be Dave

Looks as if they cut pretty tight. I have a new set in the packages but haven't opened them yet. I bought them when my plan was to run a narrow track width. Now that I'm building a class2 rig super narrow isn't high on my list
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #306
I wanna be Dave

Yes, they do cut pretty tight, it's a huge improvement over the stock low-steer knuckles! Looks like I was getting little bit more with Axial CVDs, but I'm tired of blowing them up all the time, even my home-made drillbit pins were breaking and the rest of the joint halves are now kinda wallowed out...so I'm trying VP VVDs, little less steering (still good though) and more beef I hope. Cool, I've probably already seen it but I'll check your build.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-02-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #307
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

those axles look sweet! i need a pair for my rig! how exactly did you manage to bend an axle shaft though? i managed to bend the end of one, but that was after a full size Toyota accidentally rolled over it
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #308
I wanna be Dave

Yes, they do, thanks SSD! ...and yes you do lol. Bent the shaft after a couple years use and one too many big falls to solid granite, probably happened when the stock rear axle housing broke at the axle lockout. Run over by 1:1 Toyota? Ouch!

SSD SCX10 axle housings thread:
New SSD SCX10 axle housings

RPP Hobby in stock at the moment:
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00059.htm

Last edited by Natedog; 10-02-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #309
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

yeah that's probably what did them in, i was confused because other wise the axle shafts are supported inside the axle housing.
and yes it was a little red (and very rusty) 87 2wd toyota, it was my friends truck, we where mucking around in a parking lot and he accidentally rolled over it (passenger side didnt see it) only bent the rear axle shaft at the threaded end and broke a front steering knuckle. that was it (and everything on the scx10 was stock believe it or not!)
must resist pretty new axles....to many other projects.......must resist......no dont click on rpp hobby....... nooo.........
Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #310
I wanna be Dave

Yes, the stock plastic lockouts have not broken or cracked, but they are not very tight on the housing like when they were new. Wow, you got lucky lol!
Linky to buy....just in case....lol.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #311
Pebble Pounder

you're terrible!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #312
Quarry Creeper

just read through all of this.. great job documenting all of this! how do the ssd housings hold up? i like them but just go the stock housings.. are they worth it for double the price an still plastic?
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #313
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, I like to help others learn to build and document for when I forget what I did! I don't know how the SSD housings hold up because I haven't finished it due to multiple concurrent projects. I think they will be quite strong, the easy access to gears is a huge selling point, don't have to undo all my links, shocks, servo mount, etc. just to do maintenance or swap out worn gears. Stock housings look good, but are weak, I've broken several and always right where they neck down for the lockouts/c-hubs go on. I've run stock housings for years, with and without BeefTubes, SSD seem better and look more scale. I don't like aluminum axle housings they dont slide well over rock and are too heavy. Too much weight down low makes it crawl everything I point it at...gets boring really fast, that's why I sold my Wraith axles and 2.2s...might 1.9 it or part the rest and buy another Ascender, Sawback or TF2.

Short of it is the SSD housings look great, very good price for what you get and their other parts I've bought have been excellent quality and customer service! Run what you got if money is tight, otherwise I'd buy SSD plastic housings. I'm going back to on axle steering with this re-build, the Axial chassis gets too much flex running CMS and I bent the heck out of it.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-15-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #314
Quarry Creeper

thanks natedog
i will probably run these axial housings for a while but i really like the new vanquish axles (check harlys youtube he gpt preproduction versoins).. that are way out of my price range but i like a capable rig so i think after a few other necessary ipgrades to my 1.9 u4 wrsith i will be saving for those.. so many choices!!
btw i heard those diff covers get caught one EVERYTHING and youll save yourself a love of time going with the smooth ones
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #315
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome, and yes I've seen those VP axles, SSD already makes almost same diamond style axle housings. There are lots of cool looking parts, but not all of them make it crawl better and at some point it gets boring because it's all point and shoot, no driving skill...that's why I sold my Wraith axles and 2.2s. If they are out of your price range, run what you can afford, do some freebie, cheap mods (read all the stickies) and crawl more often with whatever crawler you can afford. Checkout Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-Money, he's been crawling miles and years on a pretty stock Deadbolt SCX10. It's all about how much fun we have using our RC, not how much the pretty parts cost.
Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

I've heard that too, we'll see...I may buy the sexy curvy aluminum covers for my SSDs, or I may let the plastic covers wear down into a smoother curve. I bought a couple sets of them just in case.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #316
AR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Front and rears done.

Bent rear axle shaft, hard to photograph how bent it really is.

Switching to WB8s on this truck now lol

Looks so narrow

hi nate. looks great! is that vp hexes? mind sharing the exact width or item no. ?
AR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #317
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, they are about 3-4mm thicker wheel hexes, works great!

Last edited by Natedog; 11-06-2019 at 06:10 PM.