Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: rod end choices for making custom links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default rod end choices for making custom links

Been looking into making some DIY suspension and steering links for my Honcho I just got. I've seen where people are using the Traxxas rod ends in pack number 5347 with 12 rod ends in it, and having to order 2 pack to do the entire suspension and steering. But I've stumbled on pack number 1942 which contains a total of 18 ends; 16 with a longer sleeve (enough to 4-link the entire suspension) end and 2 with a shorter sleeve end (only enough to do either the drag link or link off the servo). What's funny though is that I'm finding the 1942 pack for cheaper than the 5347 pack! Which is strange to me since there's more in it...

But either way, the real question is, are the longer sleeved rod ends in the 1942 pack the same as all the rod ends in the 5347 pack? If so, one could purchase 2 packs of 1942, which would be cheaper than the cost of two 5347 packs, and have PLENTY left over for extras

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-06-2011 at 05:53 PM.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

use the short ones, they are stonger, the bigger ones are for a Revo or Jato, which have a 4MM fitting insted of a 3MM fitting.

I used 3/32 ALL Thread & 1/4"X.035 Aluminum tubing and its super strong. I have pictures in both of my build threads.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

aw crap, yeah the different sized threaded part slipped my mind...

well darn, I though I stumbled upon a good thing, lol

thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
Been looking into making some DIY suspension and steering links for my Honcho I just got. I've seen where people are using the Traxxas rod ends in pack number 5347 with 12 rod ends in it, and having to order 2 pack to do the entire suspension and steering. But I've stumbled on pack number 1942 which contains a total of 18 ends; 16 with a longer sleeve (enough to 4-link the entire suspension) end and 2 with a shorter sleeve end (only enough to do either the drag link or link off the servo). What's funny though is that I'm finding the 1942 pack for cheaper than the 5347 pack! Which is strange to me since there's more in it...

But either way, the real question is, are the longer sleeved rod ends in the 1942 pack the same as all the rod ends in the 5347 pack? If so, one could purchase 2 packs of 1942, which would be cheaper than the cost of two 5347 packs, and have PLENTY left over for extras

use the top ones , change the threads in the links and steering , they are much stronger, and the thread will not pull out of the link on a rough roll over or fall
LEROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I used 8/32 all thread sleeved with brake tubing, and it worked great! Use the ones in the top pic- You can take the 8/32, and force it into the opening(thats what she said...lol!). I get it started, and finish it with two sets of pliers.
Good luck!
Hoyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyta View Post
I used 8/32 all thread sleeved with brake tubing, and it worked great! Use the ones in the top pic- You can take the 8/32, and force it into the opening(thats what she said...lol!). I get it started, and finish it with two sets of pliers.
Good luck!
It helps if you kinda taper the all thread on a bench girnder of what ever you have to use .It helps to get it started in the rod end nice and stright. A lil locktite goes a long way to
Butcherinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I used a combo of a few different Traxxas sets. I too fell for the more for cheaper ones and a LHS that didn't seem to know much about them. I used them for the drag link anyway. I got the Jato set which even longer that will end up being the 4 link when I get around to making the rest. What I do to make things go a lot easier is run a 8-32 tap in about halfway. This allows you to get things started much easier and the other part where the rod cuts its own thread will keep it from backing out.
The 1942 will only go as large as 6-32.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

well I ordered 2 packs of the larger ones; should be here mid this week, and yeah I'll be using a tap to start the threads

thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

What's up Bleeder?! It's Highonpottery from Yotatech.

I just did this to my Honcho a few days ago. Went with the bigger Revo rod ends. No sense in going 3mm over 4mm f you're looking to beef things up. The short ones are the exact same part, just shorter (according to guy at hobby shop) and better to have extra length than not. If you need a shorty, you can cut it with a knife easily. I pre-tapped all my rod ends with 8-32 tap to make the allthread go in a little easier because without it is a very snug fit.

I got 2 packs and have 4 left after finished. I dunno which exact part # I got but found out mine have like 4x of a different design rod end in each pack. These ones have a wider flange on one side of the metal swivel and are slightly wider too. These ones worked well on all the links that have a single sided mount - like the upper links and servo steering mount. Check my build for how I remounted the stock servo after 4-linking the front.

Good luck!
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
MSB
Quarry Creeper

revo or jato ends with 8-32 all thread, sleeved with brake line, all I've ever used and never once had a problem. Cheap, easy, simple, and it works, can't beat it
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
use the short ones, they are stonger, the bigger ones are for a Revo or Jato, which have a 4MM fitting insted of a 3MM fitting.
You should stop giving advice....

I've bought four packs of the revo ends... 8/32 all thread all around the rig covered in 1/4" brake line at the bottom and black fuel line on top (2 packs), and have an extra pack of revo ends pre-tapped for 8/32 in case I pull one or 10 out, the other pack is threaded for 4mm which I use on the big bores & also in case someones running links with 4mm studs.
Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote