Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Sorry.. Newb with questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Sorry.. Newb with questions

Ok, I am new to the crawler and this truck. I have been around for 5+ years in the rc world.
What may be a easier route to get into this truck?
1. Buy new rtr, Or with motor/esc already
2. a used roller?
I have heard good things about the novak goat 3s. Are the trucks good stock, or do I find a good used one with mods?

Thanks guys for your help
CHOPPERMECH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you have some time and patience, I would buy a star and check out the for sale section for a used rig. If you have the money and want to learn about building one up, then get the honcho kit. Just like any RC, resale value is not very good, so you will get more for your money from a used rig.

You won't see many brushless setups here.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I tried to look in the classified, but I guess I have to post more??
CHOPPERMECH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

According to the rules you need 30 posts and be a member for 30 days. I believe its to eliminate people signing up and selling their crap. But they should make it so you can view the threads, just not post in them.... which is really easy to do in the members permissions on VB boards. This way people like me would buy from members trying to sell.
PUREVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
If you have some time and patience, I would buy a star and check out the for sale section for a used rig. If you have the money and want to learn about building one up, then get the honcho kit. Just like any RC, resale value is not very good, so you will get more for your money from a used rig.

You won't see many brushless setups here.
Resale value is actually kinda high, there was a thread about that.

And your kinda wrong with the brushless, there is actually alot of rigs using that system.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

You can buy a star and get access, and honestly with the wealth of knowledge on the site, access to awesome vendors who listen to what we want and the deals you can get in the classifieds it's worth it. Remember this site cost money to run, just the bandwidth alone can get expensive.

I picked up a really nice rtr in the classifieds a while back, and traded for another. It depends on if your the well I can slow build this the way I want to, or well I will run this till x dies then replace it. I say get a kit, build it your self, and add what you want. That's the fun part about it..

Last edited by LDogg; 08-08-2011 at 11:06 PM.
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPERMECH11 View Post
Yeah I tried to look in the classified, but I guess I have to post more??
Getting a star is easier, but if not, when you post ask questions(search first) and add info if ya can because the moment you think that you can just do thirty post saying "cool rig" the mods will delete those and you'll be stuck back at zero
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREVIL View Post
According to the rules you need 30 posts and be a member for 30 days. I believe its to eliminate people signing up and selling their crap. But they should make it so you can view the threads, just not post in them.... which is really easy to do in the members permissions on VB boards. This way people like me would buy from members trying to sell.
And have the new people scam the people selling? That's why new people cant see the classifieds, there has already been a thread about it and the disadvantages out weight the advantages
Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Resale is about 60%. That is not good. In my other hobby, home audio, its 80-90%. Do the math, the ratio of brushless to brushed is dominated by brushed. You are hard pressed to find a brushless scaler iin any current build threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Resale value is actually kinda high, there was a thread about that.

And your kinda wrong with the brushless, there is actually alot of rigs using that system.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
And have the new people scam the people selling? That's why new people cant see the classifieds, there has already been a thread about it and the disadvantages out weight the advantages
How do you scam a seller as a buyer? If the seller ships the item before receiving payment, or before payment clears, thats his own dumb fault. I agree new people shouldn't be able to sell or create threads, but they should be able to view the threads and PM the sellers to buy their stuff. I dont see the harm in that.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
How do you scam a seller as a buyer? If the seller ships the item before receiving payment, or before payment clears, thats his own dumb fault. I agree new people shouldn't be able to sell or create threads, but they should be able to view the threads and PM the sellers to buy their stuff. I dont see the harm in that.
There has been a problem with the people paying and the item being shipped then the buyer filing out a paypal claim that they never recrived it and getting the money taken back from the seller. Really a star here is $20 and well worth it just for the knowledge that this site helps compile on the sport. Look at it as an investment in knowledge like a textbook that can answer your questions.

Yeah you can see the tech forums free but jason and many others put a lot of work into the site and keep it running so you can. Kicking them a little to upkeep it host it and maintain it seems pretty small when compared to one bill from having to pay someome else to fix it or show you how or even buying the wrong stuff.

Just my 2 cents though.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyint View Post
There has been a problem with the people paying and the item being shipped then the buyer filing out a paypal claim that they never recrived it and getting the money taken back from the seller. Really a star here is $20 and well worth it just for the knowledge that this site helps compile on the sport. Look at it as an investment in knowledge like a textbook that can answer your questions.

Yeah you can see the tech forums free but jason and many others put a lot of work into the site and keep it running so you can. Kicking them a little to upkeep it host it and maintain it seems pretty small when compared to one bill from having to pay someome else to fix it or show you how or even buying the wrong stuff.

Just my 2 cents though.
Interesting.... well every forum is different, obviously, and im here for info and picture whoring. LOL But i tend to buy parts from other members because I think it helps both parties out.... i save a lil, they get rid of something they no longer want. Link to the star stuff???
Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I would buy a star if I had an extra 20 bucks but right now I can wait to see the classifieds. I enjoy the forum and when I can afford to contribute I will, but until then my extra 20 is going torwards a Pro-Line PL-C Interior tray and Undertray for my Honcho. Thanks to those running the site. It is appreciated and when I can, I will contribute.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Interesting.... well every forum is different, obviously, and im here for info and picture whoring. LOL But i tend to buy parts from other members because I think it helps both parties out.... i save a lil, they get rid of something they no longer want. Link to the star stuff???

here you go. Also when vendors do giveaways, they usually want the person entering to have a green star

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/payments.php
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Resale is about 60%. That is not good. In my other hobby, home audio, its 80-90%. Do the math, the ratio of brushless to brushed is dominated by brushed. You are hard pressed to find a brushless scaler iin any current build threads.
Ya brushed is more dominate but there are alot of brushless, alot of the well known and top competitive people run brushless, your saying there isn't that much, I'm saying there is, builds of team3six, turtle, rgerrish, etc... You'd be surprised that there are alot more brushless than you think.

Resale, it's not 60% like u said there was a thread about the resale of scalers and all that, scalers are different that other rc's don't know why and don't really care, I'm just making sure you understand so we don't get another thread from someone complaining why a rig that is not new and has a few extra scale parts is more expensive than a stock one. Trust me there is a thread explaining this

Last edited by demonoid369; 08-09-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I didn't say there wasn't any, but the ratio is probably 20:1 for brushed. I will search some more, but I have been having a hard time finding anything useful for a brushless setup that can get wet and not cog. I am looking at dumping my HH stuff for a brushless setup in my scaler, but all I have found in the forums is that brushless will cog, brushed is better, you have go sensored, but brushed is still better, ect. Castle Creations just wrote me back and said a properly setup sensorless system will not cog which is opposite of what I have read here.

Quote:
Ya brushed is more dominate but there are alot of brushless, alot of the well known and top competitive people run brushless, your saying there isn't that much, I'm saying there is, builds of team3six, turtle, rgerrish, etc... You'd be surprised that there are alot more brushless than you think
Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
but I have been having a hard time finding anything useful for a brushless setup that can get wet and not cog. but all I have found in the forums is that brushless will cog, brushed is better, you have go sensored, but brushed is still better, ect. Castle Creations just wrote me back and said a properly setup sensorless system will not cog which is opposite of what I have read here.
That's what I had thought also before and had remember seeing that brushless suck for it but recently I also was told that brushless does work and can work fine, I'm still going to stick with brush lol but ya
Old 08-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Got me a green star.... coming.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Got me a green star.... coming.
Woot! Congrats! You will probably save that much on your first buy in the classifieds over buying new lol
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyint View Post
Woot! Congrats! You will probably save that much on your first buy in the classifieds over buying new lol
In the long run I will. Now i wish I didnt order a scx10 last night LOL But now i can go find parts.