Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: new approach to the xj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default new approach to the xj

Well here is the new aproach to the xj.

muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

nice XJ, but whats new about its "approach". Also what's with the double bumpers?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Just wondering whats up with all the deans and wiring. Looks kinda messy might wanna clean it up? Gotta love that body though
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

well its not really suppose to be a "double bumper". I cut the jeep bumper around the axial bumper to make it 1. I still have some tweeking to do to get the look just right. The new approach was cause I had another thread and I was just gonna do a simple build but I decided to take it another way.

The reason it looks alittle messy is cause you don't see the wires and I'm not a neat freak on that. They did get all aranged nicer after the pics. I use all deans cause I like em and there is a spare plug when I run my batteries in parallel. But hey, I guess some people like each and every wire neat and perfect. Each to their own I guess
Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
Just wondering whats up with all the deans and wiring. Looks kinda messy might wanna clean it up? Gotta love that body though
I'm just really confused on what you mean by clean it up?? Its purty damn clean for squeezing a bec, esc, light control, battery and reciever on the little plate. When you put that much wiring in a tight spot it tends to look a tad messy but, I think it looks great. The only way to get rid of all the wires would be to shorten them up and I'm not gonna cut, shorten, re solder and shrink tube every single wire.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
well its not really suppose to be a "double bumper". I cut the jeep bumper around the axial bumper to make it 1. I still have some tweeking to do to get the look just right. "
I see how you cut around the rear, looks good. But the front is what I was referring too. If you cut off everything under the grill from fender well to fender well and move the front bumper up under the grill you'll gain a good amount of approach angle not to mention some more tire clearance. Just a thought to try and help you out.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
I see how you cut around the rear, looks good. But the front is what I was referring too. If you cut off everything under the grill from fender well to fender well and move the front bumper up under the grill you'll gain a good amount of approach angle not to mention some more tire clearance. Just a thought to try and help you out.
Yea I get what ya mean. I've cut some of the front bumper but as you know the front sits lower then the rear. That's why I still have some dinking around to try and find a good sturdy way to move the bumper up.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

looks real nice! im diggin the stock rear bumper. it looks good with the cherokee. im buildin a cherokee too. theyre fun!
check my build thread
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I lowered my body posts alittle more last night. When I did that I cut the jeeps bumper more which made the dingo front bumper sit alittle more flush.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
RCC Addict

whats the new approach? Its looks like a stock scx10 with a jeep body.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
The new approach is how I changed what I was gonna do with it. I was just gonna throw a body on it and call it good (no bumbers since the body had em and no add ons). Now I'm just waiting for my roof rack, interior, extra lights ect..
Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
Wait... All the rigs on here are scx10's... Sooooo wouldn't all the rigs on here just look like a scx10 with a different body?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Put some dingo fender flares on it and I have to say, it looks purty good . No rubbing which was a big problem before cause the body was limiting the travel of the wheel.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Down the front pic?
Creepin_SCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Oh I meant no disrespect at all . Im not a nut about wiring either but if its up and out the way then that's less chance of a wire getting snagged by rocks, sticks or chewed by the spur gear. As well as the annoying noise from deans bouncing around. I didnt realize either what all war in the tight space there. So I do apoligize if I offended ya I didnt mean it. Heres what my rig looks like Im to crazy about keeping wires short and all just out the way. I really Like the body with the dingo flares on it I may just do that to mine since Im running 2.2's that stick out, nice build

Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh I meant no disrespect at all . Im not a nut about wiring either but if its up and out the way then that's less chance of a wire getting snagged by rocks, sticks or chewed by the spur gear. As well as the annoying noise from deans bouncing around. I didnt realize either what all war in the tight space there. So I do apoligize if I offended ya I didnt mean it. Heres what my rig looks like Im to crazy about keeping wires short and all just out the way. I really Like the body with the dingo flares on it I may just do that to mine since Im running 2.2's that stick out, nice build

I didn't take it as disrespect, sorry if my responce came accross that way. I use to have it tucked all away in the reciever box but, I noticed my 4 link links were hiting it and limiting my articulation so I took it off. Id like all the wires to be hiddin but, I can't win em all lol. With me lifted wrangler, the wires are all tucked away cause the reciever box dosent hit the links.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Front and back views. They are alittle wider then the tire but the tsl's are narrow. They would look good with the 1.9 pitbulls or 2.2 tires.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

...I was thinking of trying out the IROK 1.55 and getting some 1.55 wheels. Has anyone ran these?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Personally I like a wider wheel with the flasres, looks more real. I think 2.2's would look really good with that body and flare setup. I mean on 1:1 rigs the wider flares are for wider tires. I thought I still had my xj body with them flares and my 2.2 mudslingers to show ya but apparently I traded or gave it away.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Personally I like a wider wheel with the flasres, looks more real. I think 2.2's would look really good with that body and flare setup. I mean on 1:1 rigs the wider flares are for wider tires. I thought I still had my xj body with them flares and my 2.2 mudslingers to show ya but apparently I traded or gave it away.
The issue is if I go with wider tires, then that means I have to go taller (for the most part). That means 1) I have to lift the truck which I don't wanna do (to clear taller tires) 2) raise the body posts and that will make the whole setup look dump with my bumpers.

I was thinking the pitbulls are purty wide and only 4.45" tall. What's the widest 1.9 tire?