Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Drag Brake HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

Default Drag Brake HELP

How well should a stock AE-2 esc drag brake hold on a hill. I have almost none on hills but it may just be me being a newb
firemanbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

check your brushes, if there toast it doesn't matter how much drag brake you have

Last edited by rckjeep; 10-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

My drag brake is set to 80%. The very first thing I did was plug the ESC into the castle USB controller and setup my drag break along with the other basic settings I change for castle products. Might want to check out the setting and see if ur drag break is on.
Creepin_SCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

the rig is only 3 weeks old so it shouldn't be the brushes. I did manually reprogram it and its on full drag but doesn't hold much
thanks for the help
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

im no drag brake expert.. but it seems like alot of people EXPECT the drag brake to completely STOP a rig on a downhill. this insn't the case. if that happened every time you let off the throttle on a downward slope your rig would front somersault every time. most drag brakes are set up to not completley stop you on a hill. (although the stock axial drag brake is weak at stock setting.. turned up all the way you should be pretty satisfied with the drag brake) you want your rig to creep down at a controllable speed. not so fast that you can't control it but not so much brakes that the tires lock up. you dont want your tires to lose traction and skid downhill because that will likely cause a front somersault as well.

BUT if you really want your rig to STOP on even the steepest hills, get a HOLMES BR-XL. crazy drag brake

Last edited by heinie_21; 10-19-2011 at 05:58 PM.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the info I didn't thing it would hold the rig 100% but a little more would be nice. I will look in to another esc
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Is it actually a drag brake, or is it a HOLD brake?

I've heard some stock electrics is more of a hold brake. It doesn't have engine braking, but if you press forward to brake, then it'll hold the crawler. Not sure if that could be it
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Gearing and vehicle weight have a lot to do with it.. The Brake can be no stronger the the motor's torque. If you gear high you reduce torque and hold power. Likewise if your rig is really heavy it will take more to hold it. My rooster 55t would Hold my ax10 still like a lock untill I geared up a bit. It the. Creeped a bit.. I then switched to A 20 turn motor just play a bit and had almost no brake.. You could hear it trying to work.. And it did slow the roll but would not hold the crawler still.

Now my MMP with an 18.5t Novak sensored brushless crawler motor in my SCX 10 will do complete stoppy nose stands when i let off if I set the brake to 213%. I had to cut it back to 50% to make it useable for a trail truck application.

One more thing to complete my useless babble.. I once thought my 55t motor was getting shot because I lost almost all hill brake.. Turns out I bumped the throttle trim a bit.. One little tweak here made all the difference.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

mad is completely right. with my RTR rig stock, running the 27t motor and 87t spur, and still on the original 1.9 Flatirons, the drag brake in the AE-2 set to 100% held pretty good in my experience. but after putting in a Wraith transmission with the only difference in gearing with it being the 80t spur, and also installing the 20t Wraith motor, and throwing on some 1.9 Boggers which are a LOT taller than the Flatirons, with the AE-2 still set to 100%, it'll slowly creep down a steep incline by itself. However, the breaking when letting off the throttle is still enough to make the rig's ass pick up off the ground
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Drag depends on esc setting, motor and condition of motor.

In my mmp and castle 1415 motor on 213% drag break, the thing would stop and stay stopped. Until maybe the locked slipper in the summit trans broke loose. Now with an el cheapo hk sensored motor, being its 2pole and cheap, drag doesn't hold near as well as the 1415.

I have no recent experience with brushed
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote