Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 209SCXCRAWLER builds a Classic SCX-10 Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 209SCXCRAWLER builds a Classic SCX-10 Kit

First of all id like to start by thanking all of you talented builders that take the time to share your creations with the rest of us Scaler guys here on RCC.

Ok now enough of the mushy crap haha!

I have been into "scale" crawlers for te last three years and have had the pleasure of owning at least 5 or 6 of them as well as some Comp style rigs.
I recently acquired an original SCX-10 Kit from a local guy that had too many projects and not enough time. He had purchased this kit a couple years back when the SCX first came out and just put it up on the shelf where it stayed for over two years without being touched.

I got what most would call a SMOKIN DEAL on it so I couldn't pass it up.

I already have a very well built SCX based rig that some of you may have seen before...
However this new rig is my first KIT that I've built from the ground up.
I put the axles and tranny together first...

Then set up my links and shock and mocked up everything on the table...

After that I assembled the chassis and made a roller out of it.
well almost roller. I ended up selling my 1.9 wheels to a good friend of mine who was "in need" of some wheels.

I decided that my paint scheme was going to be a bit different from what I would normally choose... TRAIL PATROL...

I robbed my XJ of it's wheels and tires to take a few poser shots of the TRAIL PATROL rig...
And here is the famous FLEX SHOT!!

Plans for this rig:
Shocks: RC4WD black 110mm scale shocks
Wheels: Axial matte black 8-hole Beadlocks
Tires: 1.9 Rock Lox or maybe PitBull Rock Beasts
Motor/ESC: Tekin FX-R w/35t motor

Let me know what y'all think!!

Any feedback is appreciated!
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

That was a fast build! Probably not many unbuilt original scx10's laying around. Then again, maybe there are. Looks good
I love the FXR and you have my vote on the pitbulls. But it just depends on what you like
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Steele!
I appreciate your feedback. I've heard alot about the FXR and known several guys that swear by it so I figured it's definitely a good choice. I also considered going with the Axial AE-2 because it's Lipo ready and has a drag brake... It's considerably less expensive too so that may be an alternative.
I didn't mention a servo earlier, but I've decided to go with another Hobbico CS-170 double ball bearing titanium geared servo. I've been running that servo in my XJ for almost two years and never once had an issue with it. Pretty good product for the price.
I've got MIP drive shafts on my XJ and I'm considering going with those again, although the JunFac carbon steel shafts are pretty bad ass too!
I got anxious to build this rig so all the tranny gears are stock, however I will be installing the Robinson racing output gear as soon as I get a chance.
Ive got a Dingo roll cage from my original rig that I plan to modify to fit in the bed of Project Trail Patrol as well... That way I can actually attach some scale items to the truck without having to worry about them falling out.

I'll post more pics of upgrades as I go along.

Stay tuned...............
Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have never liked that body, but with the black and white, I could see myself actually running one. Not sure about the black stripe over the hood just yet, but good thinking on the paint scheme!
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

I really dig the paint scheme.
beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That is awesome that you picked up a fresh original scx10 kit. I dig the body, and that paint scheme looks good.
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

@NFA fab... I never liked this body either but after completing the paint job last night, I must admit it's pretty cool. It's just an early 50's Chevy truck which I don't think was ever very popular anyway... Might as well make it look as cool as I can.

Thank you all for the compliments!!
When I first got this kit I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do with it but after thinking a while, I let my love for the LAW take over... Hence the Police car paint job.

I'm nowhere near done withthis thing so please stay tuned!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm kinda surprised this thread hasn't gotten more attention than it has so far.
I can't remember the last time I saw an ORIGINAL SCX kit here on the forum.

Oh well... Just a little update.
I'm getting ready to modify my old Dingo cage and attach it to the Trail Patrol rig... Pics as soon as I'm done.

BTW... HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Looking good Rene, now get a winch on there and get ready for the RCOTC series starting in Jan
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Martin! I still have alot to do on this rig to he ready for the RCOTC... drivelines, motor, and a winch should pretty much do it!

I finished putting the Dingo cage on it this afternoon... Let me know what you guys think.

Now I can add scale items to the "bed" and make sure they stay in the truck!!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Nice use of the cage bro!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks bro!
I was considering tying it all into the cab but I didn't think it would have looked right.
Besides that, this body is not the typical .060" lexan... It's more like .040" and hella flimsy!
I think it looks "ok"... There's still more to come!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #13

Default Dig it

Really diggin the old chevy truck looks good. not to many of them do, maybe because they try to make them look mint. Nothing you would take down the trail in real life. Keep up the good work I like the cage.
ADDICTED CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well guys it's been a while since I updated everyone on the progress of this rig.
I finally got my wheels and tires back from my buddy. Apparently he decided that they needed some internal weights while he was using them so there is now 4 ounces of weight in each wheel to keep the rig firmly planted...

I mounted them up real quick just to see how big (or small) they will look on it...

I'm really not sure that I'll keep these tires but I guess they'll work for now.
I quickly decided that the green beadlock rings were not working well with the paint scheme so I took them off and sprayed some nice flat black BBQ paint on them. I put about three thick coats of paint so it'll take a while to scratch thru.

Mounted the rims and tires back on the rig and snapped the always mandatory flex shot, which looks much better now with the additional weight inside the tires.

I've still gotta get the motor and ESC for Trail Patrol as well as a servo but so far I think it's coming along pretty well.

Also took a quik pic of the "shop" where the magic happens.... Well nothing really special but u get the idea.

Let me know what y'all think!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #15

That is a great looking build! I would love to see a propane tank strapped to the cage haha.
lawnmower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I really hate to say this but after only a month of having this rig, I'm already tired of the body!!

It's just not what I'm really into... So I'm considering changing it to a 2-dr Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

The Jeep will be the same color and same theme "TRAIL PATROL".

This body was painted with Krylon Fusion paint which works excellent for a single shot paintjob... Unfortunately if you have to do any touch-up after it scratches, the original paint starts to shrink and peel like crazy!

It may be a short while before I get the Jeep body but I can assure you, it WILL HAPPEN!

Looks like this body just became a beater body :(

Worst part about the whole thing is I still haven't driven the damn thing!
It only got scratched because I was messin around with an "interior idea"... FML!!

Last edited by 209SCXCRAWLER; 12-04-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Are you going to do the full light kit for the Patrol vehicle? ie. a red/blue flashing light bar, etc...
Kobier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Actually it's funny you mention that. I recently found an RPM light bar and an Integy 8-light led system with flasher function that I'm planning to install on this project.

Those pics show part numbers in case anyone is interested.
Once I get them installed I'll post pics. I am just waiting til next payday to go pick them up from the LHS.

The shop owner had that setup installed on his erevo and it looked WICKED!!
it'll look way better on a scaler rig!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 209SCXCRAWLER builds a Classic SCX-10 Kit

UPDATE: I had a lil change of heart and decided to keep this project alive.

I recently got a RC4WD winch bumper for my XJ so I ended up putting my Honcho bumper on TRAIL PATROL.
I also found my old Dingo front bumper from my last project and decided it would fit perfectly on the rear.
Check out the pics below and let me know what y'all think!!