Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Crawl Space Poi Pounda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: The Crawl Space Poi Pounda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crawl Space View Post
First is the addition of a motor filter from Biohazard Scale RC. Its made of a fine filter material that will allow air and water to flow thru the motor but keep all the nasty dirt and grime out from whatever terrain you play on, thank Jason
I want a few of those....

Is this guy making an appearance at the first event in a few weekends?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
MODERHATER™

I made one out of Gore-Tex, have not tested it yet though. I hope my puller does not melt it!!

I was using Motor Saver prefilters, they work good but don't get the fines that kill comms.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I made one out of Gore-Tex, have not tested it yet though. I hope my puller does not melt it!!

I was using Motor Saver prefilters, they work good but don't get the fines that kill comms.
I'm not too familiar with the properties of gore-tex but its worth a shot.

I will say these motor filters handled a thermal'd torquemaster on 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I want a few of those....

Is this guy making an appearance at the first event in a few weekends?
We will have some available in couple different colors I'm not sure if Jason will be making it out to the Scale series but I hope he does
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crawl Space View Post
I'm not too familiar with the properties of gore-tex but its worth a shot.

I will say these motor filters handled a thermal'd torquemaster on 4s

We will have some available in couple different colors I'm not sure if Jason will be making it out to the Scale series but I hope he does

I leave this thread for a couple days and now all the rumors about me... making stuff, going places, its crazy talk

I am glad to hear that the filter held up to your temps, always a worry for me when I was researching material was to find something that would hold up to the temps

As for the scale events, I am pretty much running again with my Wraith so if things permit, I should be to a couple
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
RCC Addict

The Poi Pounda made it's debut at this years Colorado Scale Series at Daniels park, unfortunately I didn't get chance to snap any pics but there will be other series comps to come

I was impressed how well it handled sidehills for the trucks height, ground clearance was not an issue

Wheelspeed was great and solved my thermal issue with a thorough motor cleaning and under drive gears in the rear

The night before I fabbed up some homemade beef tubes for the front axle. The plastic housing was cracking from the weight of the wheel and tire and force from the servo. The new front axle handled all the abuse and no more floppy c-hubs I would suggest getting the Gunnar beef toons but in a pinch a couple inches of 5/16" OD stainless tubing works well.

That's all for now and thanks for check out this thread
Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

love those wide wheels.. you definitely pulled off the look that you wanted. nice work.
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Dang Ikaika, This thing came out SICK!!! I cought a sneak peak of it last time I was up there, but that was before all the little details got finished up, that thing is lookin really good. I wanna go wheelin with you and that next time I'm up your way man.

Cheers,
Dylan
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #28

Very Sharp rigs. Here in Michigan Monster Yotas were populae too. Wish I would have known a descent 1:1 would be hard to come by these days I would've stashed a few back in the day.
Wheel_Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6extreme View Post
love those wide wheels.. you definitely pulled off the look that you wanted. nice work.
Thanks man, I'm very happy with the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbcrawling View Post
Dang Ikaika, This thing came out SICK!!! I cought a sneak peak of it last time I was up there, but that was before all the little details got finished up, that thing is lookin really good. I wanna go wheelin with you and that next time I'm up your way man.

Cheers,
Dylan
Thanks Dylan, appreciate it much. Just let us know when and we'll have a GTG for sure. One of the regulars has 10 acres just above Central City and we host a killer scale gtg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_Works View Post
Very Sharp rigs. Here in Michigan Monster Yotas were populae too. Wish I would have known a descent 1:1 would be hard to come by these days I would've stashed a few back in the day.
Thanks man. Yea, its tough to find straight axle yota trucks these days
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #30

thats a nice truck. how does it do with those wide tires?
koch131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Originally from Hawaii, living in Colorado and into RC Crawling? Crazy.... I'm from Kauai, living in Colorado Springs (gonna come up to the crawlspace here soon) and obviously into the latter or i wouldnt be on the forum. Good stuff, nice build, see you soon.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
RCC Addict

My bad for not repling back guys, been super busy at the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by koch131 View Post
thats a nice truck. how does it do with those wide tires?
thanks man. The truck handles very well with the wide tires, they site about a 1/4" wider than the stock wraith track width

The wheel base could be stretched another inch or so for more stability but then the body would need some cut work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulo747 View Post
Originally from Hawaii, living in Colorado and into RC Crawling? Crazy.... I'm from Kauai, living in Colorado Springs (gonna come up to the crawlspace here soon) and obviously into the latter or i wouldnt be on the forum. Good stuff, nice build, see you soon.
Right man, Colorado is alright but there no place like home. Cruz up whenever you get a chance and thanks for the kind words.

Ok gang, as you can tell I haven't been updating this build/thread lately, I've been crazy busy working at the shop, running and attending numerous comps and building other peoples rigs but I will have a big update here in a bit.

Be sure to check out all the other great "stretch tire" builds and threads. Some great looking and performing trucks
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Default The Crawl Space Poi Pounda update, finally.

hey gang, thanks again for checking out this thread and all the kind comments, I hope to inspire everyone to build something a little different from the norm.

The Pounda has been out to a couple comps already and has handled very well except for some extreme motors issues. I've already gone thru 2 motors

I didn't get to take many pics of the truck in action since I'm either driving or judging at comps, but here a couple from the last scale comp at Red Rocks.

Next to Juan's class 2 'Yota rig, its a badass rig btw and inspiration for my new class 2 1.9 build, The Dawn Patrol, details soon

I finally found some time to strip the rig down in an effort to track down the motor melting problem. Initially the pinion angles were a slight issue, causing some binding when the suspension cycled but I didn't mind it too much, but with this tear down its was time to fix any and all issues.

I decided to drop the ride height of the truck since it does run a bit top heavy even with 1 lbs. wheels and tires on each corner.

My shock of choice is the 4" traxxas big bore #2662 when their built correctly they don't leak and with the weight of the truck being a major factor I wanted a good shock to handle the abuse. I set up the shocks with some losi golds and 25 wt oil in the front and losi greys and 35wt in the rear. The lowered ride height took out the extreme driveshaft/pinion angle and improved the handling overall.

Current ride height.

Going thru the drive train I noticed some binding in the transmission housing as well. Apparently Robinson gears don't fit perfectly in a Hot Racing trans case, bummer. I got a set of hot racing gears and saved the Robinson gears from another build.

Having the tranny out of the truck I decided to try one more brushed motor before I pull the trigger on a full brushless system, just getting tried of smokin $60+ motors. My buddy Marcus and I did some trading and I ended up with this little power house, a 10t Holmes Puller Motor

This motor is a Hoss! a bit slower but plenty O power to get this rig around. I put a small fan on the ESC just to keep everything cool and ran this set up at our most recent scale comp. I was pleased with the trucks performance overall. The motor did get hot but no meltdowns this time out had asome trouble with breakovers so I plan to put some more weight in the front wheels She's sittin at 11 lbs. now and ready for the next run
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Braddah, where you got your decals from? The KCCN one is the ISH!!! And the license plate...hooooooo cuz. Like sampo. I want to run the '80s style "Kamehameha" plates tho.

-Brian
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
Braddah, where you got your decals from? The KCCN one is the ISH!!! And the license plate...hooooooo cuz. Like sampo. I want to run the '80s style "Kamehameha" plates tho.

-Brian
We run a graphics company as well as the hobby shop so we can print pretty much anything

shoot me a PM with what you want the plates to say and I'll take care of ya braddah
Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
Runnum wiiiiiide! Cheeeehoooo! The rig looks good. 15oz+!! That thing must stay pretty planted.

Come to Oregon. We go play.
I live in West Linn... We should meet up in the middle sometime and crawl! I like the rig you got going there it looks nice... I went to Hawii in Oahu awhile back and all i saw were those massive, wide rimmed rigs driving around in the sand and wheeling... Anyways, Check out my thread "Vintage Switches to Honcho!?" It is a comanche and i'm just now getting it all done... Tell me what you think of it... Cya around (Maybe) :P
VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #37
NJK
Quarry Creeper

All "STRETCHED" Chheeeehoo!
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #38

Nice rig you got there crawl space it's very clean and pure island style.
671fokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Default The Crawl Space Poi Pounda. Quick update

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and compliments. The Poi Pounda is pretty much good to go as she stands. I'm still tossing around the idea of running a brushless system just need to figure out which one and find the time to do it

Here is a quick pic of the rig just "hangin out" testing the strength of a J-Fab Creations pull pal, enjoy

Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Is it just me... or am I not seeing the pull pal in the pic? It honest to god looks like the rig is just floating there lol. Glad to hear you have your motor issue mostly figured out (for now, untill the BL setup goes in )

I will be up there at the end of August again, so I will be looking at a 16t HH motor for my Showtime build when that gets done. I am also completely rebuilding the mini JK right now, so hopefully that thing will be rock ready when I come back up. Then the Poi Pounda, it, and Showtime can all be wheeled together! Lookin rad man, can't wait to hit the rocks!
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote