Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ESC or Motor issue with my SCX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ESC or Motor issue with my SCX

To make a long story short, I wired my Integy 55t motor to my Traxxas ESC, drove around the house perfectly. Took it outside and the ESC motor wires got wrapped around my front drive shaft to the point where it bogged down so bad it wouldn't barely go forward anymore. Since I had no idea this was happening I chalked it up to a dying battery and kept driving back to the house. After I got it inside I noticed the issue, I unwrapped everything and it hasn't ran right since.

I'm assuming the giant load on the motor either fried the motor or ESC since I only have about 30% power going forward now, once it try's to climb anything moving forward it just stalls. Reverse is still strong with plenty of power.

Any clue what it could be? I don't really have another motor or esc to test with..

bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
To make a long story short, I wired my Integy 55t motor to my Traxxas ESC, drove around the house perfectly. Took it outside and the ESC motor wires got wrapped around my front drive shaft to the point where it bogged down so bad it wouldn't barely go forward anymore. Since I had no idea this was happening I chalked it up to a dying battery and kept driving back to the house. After I got it inside I noticed the issue, I unwrapped everything and it hasn't ran right since.

I'm assuming the giant load on the motor either fried the motor or ESC since I only have about 30% power going forward now, once it try's to climb anything moving forward it just stalls. Reverse is still strong with plenty of power.

Any clue what it could be? I don't really have another motor or esc to test with..
Since it is only in one direction, I would guess ESC. It would be highly unlikely that a motor would do this in only one direction.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well I swapped the wires soldered onto the motor and now I have the same weak power in forward or reverse, so I moved them back again.

The controls are correct again, but the power is horrible. Full throttle on a steep hill and it just barely moves. Try to climb rocks with it and it falls on it's face, even with the slipper clutch backed way off. I put my battery in my wraith and it rips so it's not that.

I'd love to get this combo, but cash it tight for my toys this time of year. Is there any way to test to see if the motor is good or if I fried that? I can swing a motor, the esc would be a hard one to slide by the wife.

Holmes Hobbies LLC / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushed :: TorqueMaster Sport 540

Holmes Hobbies LLC / Holmes Bikes :: Motor Speed Controllers :: Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL
Old 12-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Hell I have a motor I can send you. I know sometimes money is tight and its the Holiday I can do the hole "pay it forward" thing. At least you would know if its the motor or ESC. BTW, I have a AE-2 ESC ran once to test and then swapped out for a BR-XL if you would be interested just PM me. We can work something out but for now PM me your address and Ill get that motor out ASAP.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Take a lower powered battery and just connect directly to your motor. Switch the wires and you will get the motor to move both directions. That should tell you if the motor is good.

If you have a wraith, connect the wraith esc to your scx motor.

Hope that helps.
Chi Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

If you have a wraith, start swapping parts (one at a time) and see which one fixes your problem
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #7

you could try replacing the brushes on the motor just incase and its only 2-3 bucks to do, hopefully its just as simple as something like that
also this wouldnt have burnt out the slipper clutch or anything would it, im not really that familiar with the scx10s
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele42 View Post
If you have a wraith, start swapping parts (one at a time) and see which one fixes your problem
This. And yes, I know how much fun it is to take an ESC out of a Wraith...
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele42 View Post
Ugh, I'm really trying to avoid that. My wraith is my reliable "turn key" daily driver. Not to mention, everything is a serious fun time getting at with the Wraith.

Hopefully I've got a motor on the way to test with. From doing some internet recon, it sounds like I could have smoked the motor since it's now severely underpowered both forward and reverse.

I appreciate all the help with this. I'm a 1:1 crawler so I frustrate myself daily with my lack of knowledge and the learning curve on these little ones.