Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Diff protection.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Diff protection.

Not that this has not been done 1k times already, but my sons newly converted SCX is using AX axles that are old and have been beat-on since he was 4-1/2 . He's now 6. It's a testament to just how robust these axles are!!!
They are getting thin tho and I thought I'd see just how long they would go with a little added protection before he knocked a hole in them.

Just a piece of .030 aluminium rolled on a "D" battery and attached with JB Weld.

Last edited by ridepate; 12-15-2011 at 08:22 PM.
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

Default Re: Diff protection.

I like the way those look. Hopefully they work out good for ya too
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice idea

looks pretty cool to, but the metal is going to catch on the rocks more. My suggestion would be to make it out of delrin. but i don't know if you can heat and bent it into the shape of the diff like you did.

Or another idea would be to buy the aluminum axial axle.
jdacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacus View Post
Nice idea

looks pretty cool to, but the metal is going to catch on the rocks more. My suggestion would be to make it out of delrin. but i don't know if you can heat and bent it into the shape of the diff like you did.

Or another idea would be to buy the aluminum axial axle.
Believe me the metal will be "Contured To Shape" after a afternoon run around our scaler-course tomorrow. I'll post pics. I personally think it will slide a little better than the gouged-up plastic.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Great idea. Looks like it will help. It will get "beat down" and slide over the rocks good before too long.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

How is that going to hang up MORE? It's identical to the plastic behind it..it's going to slide just at the stock did...love people who put down others ideas, say good job and move on
Twztid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twztid View Post
How is that going to hang up MORE? It's identical to the plastic behind it..it's going to slide just at the stock did...love people who put down others ideas, say good job and move on
Aluminum is pretty soft and does have a tendency to gouge and stick. I think I would have used a strip of stainless, but I do like the way it looks!

Good job
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Aluminum is pretty soft and does have a tendency to gouge and stick. I think I would have used a strip of stainless, but I do like the way it looks!

Good job
For sure SS would be the ultimate option, but it's what I had laying around. When your dealing with a son who can break an anvil with a rubber-mallet, it does not really matter. He has no fear when pulling the trigger!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Great idea i reakon
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:

Good job

I've got aluminium sliders on all of my crawlers and scalers made by Junfac and they don't gauge/hang up at all. They are like oiled ice over rocks. After many hours use they crazed/scratched but not one gauge. You can actually hear them sliding on the rocks, quite satisfying.

This needs to be tested on myth busters IMHO lol, as Delrin over Ali pffft.

I like your design as barely no ground clearance has been lost, mine seen in this link eat up about 5mm, but have put bigger tyres on now.
Bills New Honcho

Last edited by northernerbill; 12-16-2011 at 12:41 AM.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twztid View Post
Any loss in ground clearance will add this possibility, as minor as it is. I think that is what they were commenting on. 1.5 years for $12 in axle cases isn't too bad:

TowerHobbies.com | AX80003 Axial Solid Axle Set Scorpion

I think this aluminum method is the best skid plate type option I have seen though, minimal ground clearance loss, cheap, and probably slides over rocks decently.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #12

Like NFA said I let my friends son drive one of my scx10's and he smoked a door jam at top speed, breaking the axle housing, bending the dogbone. On sale on ebay I just got my axle housing for $8 on ebay, brand new. deff. the way to go.
ADDICTED CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
Believe me the metal will be "Contured To Shape" after a afternoon run around our scaler-course tomorrow. I'll post pics. I personally think it will slide a little better than the gouged-up plastic.

"self-clearancing"
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Looks good, the install is clean and simple and will definately prolong the life of the axle.

Aluminum does gouge and hang up more than steel because it's softer but the difference is minimal. Not like one material will leave you stuck while the other slides off.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Good job
Yes, good idea but it does stick more than the plastic or steel of some type (stainless or regular), different rock types stick more than others. It's very scale and will save you money, looks almost exactly like my 1:1 Toyota axle reinforcements that I welded on.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

As far as ground clearance lost, you must account for all the plastic that is missing from years of use. So you still probably have more ground clearance than when it was new Looks good!
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

i cut out a handfull of these on a shear, im trying to build a better design to attach them though, i want easy access to my diff, but full coverage on the axle, ive cut alum and steel guards so far, just for a few friends, and run them though a small roller, looks great though
stompjrkz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I know housings are cheap but I like to see just how far a piece will go.
We did two batteries apiece today around our little backyard scaler-course, which I need to, ahem.... "adjust" some tomorrow.....His longer wheelbase SCX was killing dads shortie D-90 in one spot.....He has not let me forget it either.......
Any difference with the diff-sliders??? No..but "Trigger-Nut" was driving. I'm gonna sneak-swap in a 14t pinion on his SCX ........

Last edited by ridepate; 12-16-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Very cool

It's also a super simple mod that everyone can do. The materials can be easily bought

I've been thinking of some sort of way to mount something that looks a little more scale, but haven't got around to it
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

How fun. I've been wanting to get a RC crawler again, and my boy is 6. Maybe I can scrape together enough cash to get two
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote

Diff protection. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats the Diff, between maxx 3.3 diff and revo diff? 12voltfun Traxxas Crawlers 2 06-06-2009 09:16 PM
Motor protection? RCHuffer EnRoute Berg 7 04-27-2009 03:03 PM
AX10 Diff Locker working on Wheely King Diff rcpaintworks HPI Wheely King 6 08-18-2007 09:13 AM
use protection? dystance General Crawlers 23 10-20-2006 12:26 AM