Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: LR3 Ride height photo check - opinions needed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default LR3 Ride height photo check - opinions needed!

Well guys, I need some veteran opinions (or just any). If there's anything I've noticed on this site it's that people hate to see cool bodies set at a improper ride height. I have trimmed up and gutted my LR2 for my scx-10, and i am about to work on some sort of body mounting system. How's the ride heoght look? I like this height because it allows me to use the stock side tubes, which I have a bunch of, and I am not quite into brzing yet. (well, not any good anyway)

Let me know, up down back forth, how does she look? Keep in mind I wull be getting some mudslingers when i can, and they are quite a bit smaller than the flat irons.

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 12-23-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ride hieght photo check - opinions needed!

Decisions, decisions, I think it looks great.

If you lower your Landy I think you must set in som limiters in your dampers BUT then you will loose som flex.
I would have lengthened the links in the rear a few mm so you have your wheels in the middle of the wheelwells
Bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It is a tough one cause I know these always look better in the flesh.......... but imho its a tad too high but how solve that.

If you fitted g-made shocks set to droop so it sat lower and all the travel was away from the car it might work. Its more cash but its an option that works.

These shocks are a great upgrade from stock and not expensive. They will also give you up to 30mm more articulation!!

Hope thats help?
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You could also lower it a bit. If it has the shock preload collars, turn them all the way to the top so it sits as low as possible. Another trick would be to put some bic pen springs and the shock shaft inside the shock body. It will suck the shocks into a more compressed setting at ride height. If that makes sense. You will lose a tiny bit of down travel but not much. I think the frame to body height is right on. So some shock tuning is the way to go.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Lower it just a tad more. Just my opinion but good looking start. Happy holidays. Enjoy running the new body.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

whats your skid height?
pics of front/back..?
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks good for the combo you are running. If a more stock look is wanted you'll need a different chassis/wheel combo...such as a CC01.
I had one like this, same ride height, be careful as they do get top heavy quick.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default Re: LR3 Ride height photo check - opinions needed!

Perfect! just the feedback i was looking for. The shocks sound good, might have to save up for those.

About the links.. I measured the wheelbase by measureing the center point between the fenders, and using that; I built my links to these dimensions. But you're right, the back looks just a tad out (wheelbase needs to be lengthened a few mm)

About it getting top heavy quick, does that mean i shouldn't put on that rear tire and spare on the roof

I think I will run it like this for now, until i order my mudslingers. Then if I have to drop it any, i will do it with suspension. As far as I can tell the frame/body looks bang on, just need to tweak the suspensionlike you all said. Thanks for the help! any and all opinions welcome!

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 12-23-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i like it , just think its a wee bit high. overall nice job.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

INMO , just a tad bit lower and you on the one with that rig! By the way , how are you going to mount the bodt now you have the height figured out?
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Looks good. I think with the smaller tyres, and the body lowered a bit and it will look a lot better.

Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 12-23-2011 at 03:13 PM.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

THe plan for mounting: I'm going with regular posts at the back, there is a roof rack system that will cover anything up, won't even see it. The plan front, I found these CRAZY strong magnets at crappy tire, in the bargain bin for $3 each. There a two piece gps mount or something. They are strong like I've never seen. I'm going to get the front posts just underneath the hood and hopefully these will hold when epoxied to the posts and the other set to the body. If that doesn't work, it'll be good old fashioned Velcro up front. Industrial Strength ;)

Tetrax Fix Invisible Attraction Dash Accessory | Canadian Tire
Old 12-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I think it looks good but it depends on the performance level you are after. I would imagine those bodies are pretty heavy, just make sure to weight the wheels with at least 3oz. (roughly 85grams) per wheel. It'll help balance it out and keep it planted. I'd lower it down some and trim the fenders a bit more. I'm sure it's possible to keep the stock look while allowing the lower rider, minimal lift look. I bet for every 1cm you drop the body you'll notice a huge increase in performance.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
Perfect! just the feedback i was looking for. The shocks sound good, might have to save up for those.

About the links.. I measured the wheelbase by measureing the center point between the fenders, and using that; I built my links to these dimensions. But you're right, the back looks just a tad out (wheelbase needs to be lengthened a few mm)

About it getting top heavy quick, does that mean i shouldn't put on that rear tire and spare on the roof

I think I will run it like this for now, until i order my mudslingers. Then if I have to drop it any, i will do it with suspension. As far as I can tell the frame/body looks bang on, just need to tweak the suspensionlike you all said. Thanks for the help! any and all opinions welcome!
Yeh don't forget that taking measurements horizontally and applying those measurements to triangulated links won't tally up. 6mm wheel base increase horizontal is probably 7-8mm on a sloping link.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Check through this thread if you haven't seen it yet. There are a bunch of that body and maybe it will help you in some way.

Post your land rover/ range rover pics here!
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote

LR3 Ride height photo check - opinions needed! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions needed please that.minitrucker HPI Wheely King 5 12-10-2010 09:49 AM
opinions needed 4ONDFLR 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 02-04-2009 05:44 AM
Photo shop experts needed 01XJ Chit Chat 16 01-15-2008 01:38 PM
Check out my new ride!!!!! rcjeepbuilder Chit Chat 24 12-12-2007 04:42 PM
Check out my ride Mikekx65 Chit Chat 8 07-20-2007 11:17 PM