Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: scx10 Chassis Mounted Servo CMS mod detailed write up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: scx10 Chassis Mounted Servo CMS mod detailed write up

Here's a pic of my setup. I'm actually not using the stock cross member
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #22

WOW, great job you rock
steven1756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #23

I used your set- up, worked nice! I went four link, and also made a bent servo link to try and eliminate any possible bump steer. Working good so far.
Lowerslowerscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
Nice write up....Super easy to understand!

Bill: You will most likely need a custom length drag link it all depends on the rig and suspension set up.
CMS itself pretty much for looks, it performs no better than axle mounted steering....It can actually be worse, because it moves the servo up higher, and without a panhard bar you will have bump-steer when the axle articulates.
That's really no different than people running leaf springs and a CMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerslowerscaler View Post
I used your set- up, worked nice! I went four link, and also made a bent servo link to try and eliminate any possible bump steer. Working good so far.
Not to rain on your parade, but the only thing that drag link is good for is keeping the rod ends fairly straight so you don't over articulate them. The bump steer will not be affected by a setup like this because the link will still move through an arch from either mounting point, meaning as that link becomes more level, it will push out from the the axle out of center to the passenger side.

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 01-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I've been screwing with this and I think I've improved on it some. With a drill and a dremel I made the following modifications using spare parts and screws I had from a TLT. I'm sure most here started with the original crawler like myself so you should have kept these parts if you're a pack rat like myself.

First I mounted up the plate just as the OP did. I did not like how low the servo hung though. I flipped the servo mounts and put the servo on top and drilled new holes near the bottom of the plate. I also countersunk the holes with a larger bit. I used two angled rod ends, the original steering rod, and a short TLT suspension link to make the new steering rod. For clearance and to keep the steering link and panhard bar as close to parallel as possible I mounted the drag link under the knuckle arms. I had to trim the plate to clear the head of the screw and the servo arm. With the panhard bar, I used a TLT link mount on the axle, and offset rod end, straight rod end, and a long TLT suspension link. I stuck a longer screw in one of the servo holes and through the mount and used that as the upper mount for the panhard bar. It works well enough. I want to make a stronger mount that uses both holes on the axle and maybe find some metal servo mounts. Or, the bumpsteer really wasn't bad so I might just keep it a four link.

maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Yea, as for people saying about how the servo sits lower im running 2.2s and the losi 4 inch shocks so that didn't affect me. Also for the drag link i used the bent rod ends from the chassis end of the old 3 link to create a ''z'' like steering drop.
Mine is also 4 linked which i changed right after i mounted the servo this way so i never ran with with the 3 link. But ive had it out several times since i changed it this way and no complaints yet running a 625mg only and it does well with 2.2s.

Main thing i like is the servo up away from water so you don't need to waterproof it unless your one of thos guys who loves mud and taking your truck swimming

ill post an updated picture as i have the f/r 4 linked,dinky mount,summit trans ect. Post up some pictures guys if you do this mod to your truck i'd like to see them.
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Just did this conversion and it works well. I did find the servo was a bit too low but had some unused GPM servo mounts that pulled the servo up about 5mm and if I want to later I can flip them around for another 5-10mm clearance but by that stage the servo arm is hitting the bracket and rails. I can't quite get full compression on both shocks but can get full articulation each side just not straight down. I had an AX10 that was converted to
SCX10 and also purchased the link upgrade kit (my AX10 originally had bent links which don't work that well on the SCX10) so I had left over links from the original steering which I added to the upgrade link set to make the steering link longer for less bump steer. I still have a little bump steer but it is bearable. Also with the servo mount plate I put spacers between it and the rails at the front hole to line up with the brace thickness which then keeps it away from the rails slightly so my floor pan still fits snug and the bolts don't hit the rails anymore. Will have to take some pics to show you what I did.

Thank you very much for the write up as I nearly bought the CMS kit. All I need to do is sort out a panhard mount and I'm set. Down the track I might still get the CMS kit as it comes with the three link mount and panhard setup but this will do for now.

Cheers Jarrod
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I tried doin some thing like this, but when I turned, the servo would move the axel side to side. How could I fix this???
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
I tried doin some thing like this, but when I turned, the servo would move the axel side to side. How could I fix this???
You need...
Panhard rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #30

when you add on the panhard rod where does the upper link run to? the left or right side?
JTG671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Nice!
jshull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

built mine similar to yours with the stock parts and love it. my honcho is 4 linked in the front with very minimal bump steer, but come on all this talk about bump steer REALLY!!!!! when your in the rocks its absolutly unnoticeable. my drag and tie rods are vertually parallel. my buddy had the hands bros and hated it, went to the stock parts and he couldnt be happier. nice job on your write up, cause not everyone has $50 for a CMS, but everyone does have the stock parts
stick-boy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Had a heck of a time tryin to find this one again! Well thought this was a good idea so bumped it up!

Last edited by mitchr97; 07-16-2012 at 05:55 PM.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Speaking of this, I just finished my homebrew version. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post'em up.

I'm pretty sure my daughter's truck will get the same treatment. Although the BPC chassis stuff is really tempting for the price.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

I did this mod, but hqve a 4 linked front, and i snapped the screw holding my heim joint to my upper link bar, it broke off in the aluminum heim joint. I was just turning my tires in my kitchen, 3 link with a panhard here i come lol, but im sure it doesnt help that i have a hitec 7980th at 6 volts putting out 500 ounces
minicrawlerguy530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG671 View Post
when you add on the panhard rod where does the upper link run to? the left or right side?

again ive NEVER gotten the answer to this anywhere lol

anyone..?
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Ideally the same side your servo is. And since this is America, drivers side.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

so from atop the center of the diff to the drivers side upper mount?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Yes but sorta... The hand bros axle bracket sets the panhard mount off to the side of the diff...

Horrible pic to follow:
Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

no no i meant the 3rd link for the 3 link i know where the panhard bar does lol

Tags
axial, cms, scx10, servo, steering

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/357851-scx10-chassis-mounted-servo-cms-mod-detailed-write-up.html
Posted By For Type Date
Cms kit - WARCRC This thread Refback 02-20-2013 04:35 PM

scx10 Chassis Mounted Servo CMS mod detailed write up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chassis mounted servo BCCrawlerZ Axial SCX-10 2 09-04-2011 11:11 AM
New CMS Chassis Servo Mount 94s10blazin Axial SCX-10 9 06-10-2011 01:38 PM
chassis mounted servo twilight Axial SCX-10 3 07-17-2009 10:21 PM
Locked Up's forward mounted dig servo mod Locked Up Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 04-29-2009 06:51 AM