Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Blacksheep's Honcho build (slow and steady)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default The Blacksheep's Honcho build (slow and steady)

Okay guys so here goes, this is my first ever build thread so please feel free to critique me in any way shape or form I'm sorta new to this scale crawling stuff but like many of you, have been bitten by the bug! I recently bought the new RTR Honcho and love it and am quite impressed with how it does right out of the box! I drove it one time and decided I wanted to go through water eventually so I tore it completely apart and waterproofed all of the electronics with plasti dip (no pics of that) I put it back to gether and it ran like a top still, which I was suprised I did it right! Before I got my Honcho RTR I bought a guy out who had been into the comp crawlers, and had gotten out of R/C's, but had lots of stuff I could use on my Honcho! 2.2 wheels and tires galore , lots of memory foams, nuts and bolts, screws and some batteries and electronics I got for next to nothing! I wanted to run some longer shocks and try out some 2.2 tires, so again I'm tearing it apart, making my own links from 8/32 all thread, brake line, and revo rod ends, the pics are of that process, how it sits now and the projected look of what its going to look like (hopefully a little lower than this). Please feel free to give me all the feed back you guys have. I'll be going thru this thing alot and upgrading stuff as I go (on a budget) this is how it sits now, mind you its just the wheels on here mocked up not bolted on, motor and trans along with the axles testing out the length of my links!

Some more of the links, in the process of fit and finish

and here aresome pics of the stance now and what I'm hoping it will look like after the shocks wheel and tires and all the electronics sitting on it permenantely, hopefully it will be a tad bit lower than this though

These are the wheels I'm going to put on it, mind you these Badlands will probably go away for something more scale, probably some TSL's, just what was on the wheels when I bought them

here is a bad pic of the aluminum hubs and Integy steering arms I put on here to fix the caster issue I encountered when clocking the axles, these were included in the stuff I had bought from the guy along with the tires and along with the rear axle aluminum pieces also! I just keep finding stuff I can use!

Thats all I have for now but I'll keep this thread updated best I can, my next to-do is a CMS because when I clocked the axle I do belive the servo leaning forward will contact the front bumper, plus I'm a fan of the CMS myself, IMHO it looks way better, and it helps thats its alot more scale! Please feel free to give me all the feed back you want on things I can improve or if you want more pictures of anything I'll try my best to get them for you! I"m able to do these things because all of the newb questions I've asked and you guys have so nicely answered! If any of you guys are around the Middle Tn area pm me, I'v yet to go out with a group scaling and would definately be a good time!
The-Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The Blacksheep's Honcho build (slow and steady)

It's a good bug to catch You can tell you're a comp crawler gone scaler... That thing is HUGE! I imagine you are going for "scale" because of your comment on the cms kit, so in that same respect the 2.2's and that height are going in the wrong direction. Not scale. But it's all about what you want, that's the fun of it. Enjoy it
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

yea, it actually doesnt have any shocks on it right now, im just mocking stuff up ha ha its in the project state thats for sure im fixing to upload some more pics with some shocks on it and there the smallest shocks i have other than the stockers and its entirely WAY too high, so ive definately got some mor modification to do ha and your right this is all about what you want your rig to be, and so far the height im not likin, im wanting it to have some pretty some good flex and have to tweak some shocks around a little bit and get some good smooth articulation, i dont want a BUNCH but id like it to be able to flex quite easily
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hey Boys and Girls, got some more pics for ya, been tinkerin around a bit with it, keep in mind these pics are just mocked up, its sittin way to high right now and will be much lower than it sits right now! So on to the pics : This is a pic of my TSC reciver box I'll be using, keep in mind it's not going where you see it, I'll be removing the fuel cell from the lexan bed and cutting a hole in the back of it and the back of the cab and running the wires thru there for a clean look, should turn out great! This one is a flex shot from right after I got the shocks on it, for my liking the flex is decent, just too much hieght, I'll have to fix that, but it gives a rough idea of how she is going to come out, I'm excited to see it comign along! And another from the back A look at how high its sittin, some brackets to move those shocks closer to the cab should help quite a bit, these are the smallest shocks I have other than the stock Axial, I just had to replace them because I got tired of leaving shock oil finger prints all over the house after I handled them, we all know what thats like! One of the front, these should settle a little bit, seeing as there is no weight above the front axle From the side Here is a pic of my homemade CMS I fabbed up from the thread by "xiteamxi" on the Scx-10 forum, good thread check it out! Very simple and only requires 2 nuts and bolts other than whats already on your truck, only need a panhard bar and it should perform well can't wait to test this thing out! You can see in these pics I've done a 180 swap on the trans and motor, I run the stock Axial 27t, with a Venom 8000 MaH 2s lipo, and boy does she twist, hoping this will cut it down a bit! same pic just diff angle and again a shot of the rear axles doin what it does! ohh yea!!! Need to get this thing running bad! Here you can partly see the homemade CMS and the front axle flex, my upper links are a little too long and even with the adjustable hubs the caster is just a little bit more than I like, but luckily I figured this might have happened and haven't sleeved my links yet, thats why we mock things up first Same picture from above but you can really see the differnece in the tire sizes here, definately need to shrink the suspension a bit to get the 1.9's looking right on here. Give me some feed back guys, this is my first build and I thought I might get a little more feedback than what I have, any input would be greatly appreciated and welcomed, lord knows I need all I can get! Thanks and Enjoy, more to come soon!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Looks good
An idea, cut the servo mount posts off the axle housings?

we need some pics of it blazing some trail, or video
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Action pics are to come! its just in pieces right now seeing as im stiff figureing out how im going to do a few things, and i do plan on cutting te servo posts off the axles i wanted to leave them for the time bein incase my CMS didnt work out with the reast of my design! Thanks for the idea tho, great minds think alike is what they say ha ha is a slow work in progress just because of my work schedule and such, im tweeking the length of my front upper lnks because i had a little negative caster and wasnt liking it!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looks good man. Good scale-articulation too!!!
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ha, yea i know its a little too much flex for scale, but keep in mind its just held to gether with a few bolts it should be a little different when it gets done, im brainstorming trying to figure out how i want to actually mount the electronics and such, lot of late nights and brainstorming ahead!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

nice rig like the tractor supply co dimond plate tool box looks great
ctsthoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Update : Things have been going slow, when I lifted my truck my drive lines were in a bind and was getting my motor hot so I'm waiting on some parts to come in to fix the issue!

The Blacksheep's Honcho build (slow and steady) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
671 slow honcho build 671_oners Axial SCX-10 2 01-11-2012 03:27 PM
Slow steady Losi MRC Build up GhettoFabwork Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 04-12-2011 07:21 PM
LNC slow but steady build sl0wkarate Team Losi Comp Crawler 44 01-12-2011 10:55 PM
slow 1.9 build sudo 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 04-22-2007 05:51 PM