Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: This time three's company - Pic heavy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
RCT
Rock Stacker

Default This time three's company - Pic heavy!

Impressions on my Honcho after my 2nd week (the silver one here ) : After taking this RTR out a couple more times, each time in rocky, wet, muddy and overall nasty turf, I must say, it is an absolute BLAST to drive and I'm completely shocked at the out-of-the-box performance and crawling ability of this truck. Axial makes a top notch product. Period.
In spite of the glue-on tires and ugly wheels I'll never use after these tires bite the the dust, traction is impressive. Very impressive.
I assumed better tires and upgraded links would improve the performance but as-is, I can't say I've seen limits yet, and I've been pretty hard on this poor, shinny new rig
I'm having an electrical gremlin of sorts that kills power to everything after a rollover, but only temporarily until I whack it upside the body to wake it up again. Can't pinpoint the loose connection.
Definitely waterproof your electronics if you get one. I will be this week as here in BC you can't avoid water.
Overall, I give the 2012 RTR Honcho an A+ and recommend it 150%. For the price, I don't think you can have more RC fun out of the box.

This terrain was pretty technical in some areas (no shots of those parts because I was having too much fun driving them!) and my driving compadres here knew the location well and it was a blast joining them.
Can't wait till next weekend

RCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: This time three's company - Pic heavy!

nice place, looks like fun!
501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Was that your jaunt to Mount Douglas? Great crawling spot. Too bad it was so wet.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
RCT
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Was that your jaunt to Mount Douglas? Great crawling spot. Too bad it was so wet.
This is Mill Hill Park.
On Saturday I did some wheeling up at Mt. Doug on some access trail leading up the side of the Mt and it was a lot more technical and muddy. Overall, the crawling here so far is downright awesome, and it's not even summer yet!
Next weekend you should join up!

OK I'm gonna double up my thread here - here are some super crappy photos and videos of my crawling on Mt. Doug yesterday. Sorry about the quality, but it's all I have.

Photo:

Video links:
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1461.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1462.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1460.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1459.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1458.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1457.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1455.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1454.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1453.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1452.mp4
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMG_1451.mp4

Last edited by RCT; 02-12-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yeah that was a good time. I forgot I'm comming back sat so I will be around for a run Sunday. Ten thirty or eleven would be good for me. Im building a truck for a friend, im gonna let him run my honcho... Get him hooked. I worked on my hilux rig quite a bit tonight. Four linked the front and rear (it had a three link) added some more weight n a few little things should be good now. Since I'm on nights I get to go crawling here tommorow lol. We should have taken more pics of the Better spots!
carried away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looks like a fun spot. It's good to see a little weather won't keep you from getting ou there.
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Bc is all about the wet weather. Makes things a bit more challenging...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I wish it was like that here so I could take my truck out, can't really go wheeling in 2ft of soft snow...
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #9

are you using the tamiya connectors on the battery? if so that could very well be you gremlin, i had the same problem but i switched it to deans and now its flawless
kingkong101184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Looks like a great wheelin' spot! I too think the SCX out of the box is a blast with a few simple mods. Couldn't be happier with mine.

I too agree with the Tamiya connectors possibly causing an issue. The connectors in mine started to lightly corrode due to snow wheeling and then I had to wiggle the wires a certain way to get it to stay on. Simple swap to Traxxas connectors cured that right up.

We have barely any snow here, but the little bit that is here is covering all the good wheeling spots, dang it!
sniper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

...I don't really like how Axial started putting out rigs that have glue on tires recently...
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Wow - I love those photos!

Three of the reasons I'm getting back into scale crawling:

(1) It can be done during lousy weather
(2) I love being outside
(3) It's fun and very cool thing to do (duh)

This winter in north Georgia has often been frustrating because it seems whenever I fix my schedule so I can go and fly, we're having wind gusts of 20 mph. With small airplanes and helicopters, that's not the most ideal conditions. With a crawler, 20mph gusts or rainy conditions are still doable - as long as you're wearing proper clothing, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
...I don't really like how Axial started putting out rigs that have glue on tires recently...
Couldn't agree more. :(

Happy crawlin'
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
RCT
Rock Stacker

1. Yup, been said before, will be said again, this glue-on BS is absurd. I'll throw these wheels and tires in the garbage someday and need to buy beadlocks as I'll never do glue-on wheels.
2. BC is incredible. And Vancouver Island is super incredible. The terrain here is top notch for this stuff and there's no shortage of trails and places to do this.
3. Rain will never stop me (though I better waterproof my Honcho before this becomes a problem)! If you let rain stop you here in BC, you'll never get out!
4. Awesome advice on the battery connector - I will definitely look in to it and make sure it's revised by next weekend. Good call!
5. Relating to being in BC and weather - I didn't realize this before I started doing this a week ago, but I am getting exercise doing this! Seriously! I hiked up TWO seperate trails this weekend following my Honcho (I think my Honcho has more gitty up than I do to be honest) - that's more exercise than I've gotten October-December combined! L-O-L!
6. The mod bug is hitting me and I want to upgrade the links and wheels and tires and all that, but damn - did I mention this things GOES?! Very little could stop this rig this weekend - not rocks, not mud, not inclines (well, there was one rock face that was like, 70% grade) - but the stock tires and setup seem really, really good.
7. I used to wheel expensive FJ Cruisers, and my new Tacoma for example...all with drastic and very expensive fixes if/when something went wrong. I think I rolled my Honcho 15-20 times this weekend and aside from scratches, it came out smelling like roses. If you like wheeling, I think this is a must have hobby. You can make it as realistic, dangerous and fun as you want. Up to you, but you'll never be out more than a few hundred $'s
Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well the glue on bs beat our flatirons up a few sections. Not that bad. Vancouver island is the best. (wait till you run my backyard, did some building today lol). Mt Doug Sunday should be good, anyone else from Victoria? Great advice on the connector. Get deans then we got a sPare batt for ya. Did your batt make it back down too?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #15

looks like an awesome spot to run at!
sic_fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
RCT
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carried away View Post
Well the glue on bs beat our flatirons up a few sections. Not that bad. Vancouver island is the best. (wait till you run my backyard, did some building today lol). Mt Doug Sunday should be good, anyone else from Victoria? Great advice on the connector. Get deans then we got a sPare batt for ya. Did your batt make it back down too?
Made it all the way back down. My little Plazma 3300 really kicks some arse.
Werd on Mt Doug. I am down!
Yeah I must say, these Ripsaws, in spite of the glue debacle, are unreal performers.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
RCT
Rock Stacker

Hey guys I'm making the upgrade today - my gremlin is definitely the battery connection so I'm going to upgrade the connectors.
Should I go with Deans or Traxxas???
Heading down to the hobby shop in a bit to pick up whichever is best.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Either one is good. I like the deans because they are a little smaller.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
RCT
Rock Stacker

Ok awesome, thanks, that helps.
Heading down there now
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Run whichever connectors your buddies run. That way in case someone forgets a pack or whatever you're all covered.

And I just bought the same RTR honcho this week and completely agree with everything you've said. I couldn't be more blown away at the performance of this thing right out of the box. Nice wheelspeed with good low speed control, nice drag brake and I'm super impressed by the tires too. I will keep them around a while, much superior to the flat irons in my opinion. Have you had any issue with the wheels being vented and water?

Last edited by Ramination; 02-16-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote

This time three's company - Pic heavy! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my at home course **pic very heavy** dodgesavageone Axial SCX-10 7 08-22-2011 04:52 PM
Company time roof racks! wrx-n-ktm Scale Accessories 4 02-06-2008 07:46 AM
here is my sw2 (pic heavy) L-TOWN CUSTOMS Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 08-13-2007 08:54 PM
one more time my stick pic work this time fire627man General Crawlers 9 04-19-2006 07:22 PM