Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Too much for a trail rig? Need Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Default Too much for a trail rig? Need Input

so i am looking at buying a new radio for my two scx10s that i picked up this weekend and im looking ahead so i can buy one radio for ever(till it breaks), but this got me thinking, i think i need a 5-6 channal radio, i want to have an scx10 trail rig of my dreams, i want a winch on front and back, a reversed dig system for 2wd or 4wd and finnaly 4ws on my truck, do you guys think that that is too much or too little or what are you all thinking?
Bronco2x84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Too much for a trail rig? Need Input

IMHO the dual winch thing is common but the 4ws isnt the best thing to add. but its youre rig if thats what you want then go head and build it to your liking not ours
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

would the 4ws be going past scale?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco2x84 View Post
on anything short of a full blown rock buggy it usually looks WAY out of place.

its pretty simple,. just ask yourself the last time you saw something with 4ws in person. then go to youtube and tell me how many street legal vehicles you find with 4ws.

as for it being scale that depends on what you are trying to mimic. if you are building a scale rock buggy then 4ws looks right at home. if you are building a scale 1.9 jeep or toyota or bronco or blazer or whatever then 4ws is going to look a bit silly.

Last edited by street.terror; 02-20-2012 at 05:21 PM.
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Nope. There are 1:1 rigs out there that have it. Check out W.E. Rock events. But putting dig on just to have two wheel drive doesn't make a ton of sense to me. It will really never have a place where it does better then 4 wheel drive and it really won't add anything but weight. Same with the dual winches, you will use them sometimes, but not very often. They will be fun sometimes though.

If you want a stick radio a 6 channel is easy to get your hands on. If you want a pistol grip it takes a little more work to get 6 channels.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

im looking at the DX3E radio
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
and you plan to run all that off it? youd be better off spending the same money for a dx5i and converting it for truck use. 5 channels for the same price as the dx3e.

the dx3e is the most basic 2.4g 3ch radio on the market i think. I used to have one. it does the job on a basic car but its nothing special. if you want to stay pistol grip the futaba 4PL is awesome and give you 4 full functioning channels and a load of support and tips on this site for using them with a scale truck
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

First off it is your truck and if you want all of the goodies on it go ahead and put them on.

As for a radio I would have to recommend a GT3B with the Losi Kid hack. It lets you run up to 8 Channels I believe and if you buy it hacked from him it is under $100. In my opinion this is a great option. I have one and it works amazing. Plus you can save the money you would spend on a more expensive radio to buy winches and such.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The radio is the heart of any Rc truck, a junk radio will leave you disappointed and stressed out. I would go with the 4PL and add on from there. I'd skip the 4ws and the dig unit, sped the money on a dependable motor and esc. Then winches are a great idea.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i was going to say go with the 4-pl as well but its been said a couple times already whats that tell ya. i was going to go with the spektrum set up as well but for the same $ the futabas got the fourth channel
snohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

MT4 is a nice easy to use 4ch pistol. 3e won't do what your looking to do. I was going to check on the losi kid set up before I get the dx6i stick for my c3 rig.

Sent from my new phone using tapatalk.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You know, it's cool that you want to add all that stuff, and it's your rig after all. Just some thoughts:

-Having a dig for 2wheel/4wheel is "scale" but not really too useful on the trail otherwise, but a "dig" function is very useful (though I've only seen rock buggies use them in real life).

-If you want to add a winch and not have to take up an extra channel on the radio, you can always go RC4WD and have their remote wireless winch. You can run a separate battery box so you don't have to run it off the 4.8/6.0v from your receiver. Repeat for as many winches as you want.

-I've found that adding a lot of scale accessories is cool, but your rig ends up feeling like a museum piece--you don't really want to push it too hard because your roof rack, scale guns, fuel tank, lights, etc...will get sheared right off in a nasty rollover where your accessories get lost in a crack in the rocks where a not so friendly snake lives (ask how I know)
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #13

I have heard the rc4wd winch wireless winch remote, will not work for very long however if it does work thats a great idea, im leaning away from the 2wd/4wd thing for now, and 4ws would be great but not so much of what i want, i was mostly thinking of everything i could ever use, so that in a year or two i dont have to go out and buy a new controller, but i need a replacement for my two AE-1's that suck and the 4pl futuba looks like a great plan, i have three scx10s that two have the sucky AE-1 and a newer one that has the AE-2, so im looking at 3 futuba 4pl's because i want to be able to run my three trucks at the same time. can you run three 4pls together or will they interfear with each other?, im thinking of doing 4ws and a winch on the 4pl, will that work or will it not work right? i think im going to make a run down to my colpar by me after school and see what they have, thanks for the help everybody
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Only has 3 channels.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I also vote for something like a DX5E. It is a twin stick style radio, but has 6 usable channels, and it only $100 new! I have one that I use as a buddy box for my airplane (When setting it up for training connected to my DX. Might be able to get a good deal on a used one, as they are often included with RTR planes. And Hobbyking has extra compatible receivers for around $7. It's the one on the left here:

That way you could drive it in typical front wheel steering, and use the L/R movement on the left stick for RWS as needed.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #16

i do like thouse very much but how do they work? are they good? i would love to get one of DX5 but where are the 5 channals? is it like left stick has 2 and right stick has 2 and a switch has 1 or how is that set up?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i do like thouse very much but how do they work? are they good? i would love to get one of DX5 but where are the 5 channals? is it like left stick has 2 and right stick has 2 and a switch has 1 or how is that set up?
2 channels on each stick, 2 switches on top (6 Channels, not 5). They are Spektrum radios, they work great (As long as you don't drive over 2 miles away, lol!). They are just inexpensive because the DX5E is Spektrums entry level radio. They make a DX4, but it is typically just included with cheaper planes, and not readily available for purchase with a receiver.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #18

if i put a winch and steering on the left side like and in and out for the winch on the up and down on the left side would i be rulling my winch in and out? or is it easy enough to not mess with the up and down while using the left and right
Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
, so im looking at 3 futuba 4pl's because i want to be able to run my three trucks at the same time. can you run three 4pls together or will they interfear with each other?
You don't need three, just one radio bound to all three trucks, model memory means the radio stays set up for each truck, you just use the radio menu to select the truck you want to drive at that time. Unless you plan to drive all three at the exact same time.

The same can be done with any of the spektrums, if the radio doesn't have model memory you'll just have to readjust the trims when switching trucks.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
if i put a winch and steering on the left side like and in and out for the winch on the up and down on the left side would i be rulling my winch in and out? or is it easy enough to not mess with the up and down while using the left and right
I'd consider increasing the stick tension on the winch stick (On the DX8, there is an adjustment for this accessed through the back panel under rubber plugs, but on the DX5, I'd imagine it is easy to do by changing springs internally. I had done this 20 years ago with a 2 ch. Futaba remote on a Tamiya Monster Beetle!

Too much for a trail rig? Need Input - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LJ Trail rig. Just Zach 1.9 Scale Rigs 131 03-22-2012 09:18 AM
trail rig rbaron Axial SCX-10 1 03-03-2011 09:28 PM
What trail rig to get RC_Ollie 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 12-02-2010 11:55 AM
K2-3S Trail Rig AeroSynch 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 01-27-2008 04:37 PM
help on first 1:1, trail rig TLTCrawlin 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 35 06-25-2007 02:07 PM