Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Snow's Honcho Build (on a budget)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #21

Default Re: Snow's Honcho Build (on a budget)

well i picked it up off a guy on here judging buy the parts on it its a painted honcho cab..... but had all plastic parts at one point now some have been upgraded but not all...
snow4664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #22

Pretty cool, what are your plans for it? I bought a similar honcho and haven't decieded which direction to take it.
eborgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Just for clarification, it was the kit and has all the factory kit upgrades. The tires are the softer compound, steel instead of plastic out drives, etc. The extra "Plastic" links are Kydex that was machined to correct the factory pinion angle, and shorten the wheelbase to fit the Proline "2 dr" Rubicon body, they were never used. Those are the Traxxas Revo large link ends. Bye the way, thanks for the pics, they are way better than any I got. Glad you like the ride, hope she does you well. Ron

Last edited by blckgnx; 03-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
blckgnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgnx View Post
Just for clarification, it was the kit and has all the factory kit upgrades. The tires are the softer compound, steel instead of plastic out drives, etc. The extra "Plastic" links are Kydex that was machined to correct the factory pinion angle, and shorten the wheelbase to fit the Proline "2 dr" Rubicon body, they were never used. Those are the Traxxas Revo large link ends. Bye the way, thanks for the pics, they are way better than any I got. Glad you like the ride, hope she does you well. Ron
well theres the man that i bought it from he knows best!!! my plans are hazy lol i think eventually the wraith axles will go on but in the mean time i have 2.2 wheels here and some 2.2 tires on the way(bought used to test out the 2.2 idea) I have also snagged some stick on wheel weights to add to the 2.2 wheels. i pulled out rons spektrum rx and puyt my fly sky in and just ran into some problems so ill add some more pics of the last run and also give my rx scenario too!

So I put dielectric grease in my fly sky receiver to water proof it last night and i'm having trouble with my system now. No reverse and a slight nudge on the trigger is full throttle. And if I open it up all the way it's slower......,I don't know what I did now..... Any ideas? It's a Novakrooster crawler esc.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Did you calibrate the ESC to the rx/tx? Sometimes they just need to be set up. Search for instructions for the ESC and it will tell you how.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #26

trey its not working!!! i thought maybe a remote issue but it does not appear to be i tested my sc10 and it works fine... i calibrated the esc and same problem..... im not very familiar with brushed motors any switches or something goofy like that i could have messed up while cleaning the truck?? its a novak fifty five and rooster as stated above .
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

it sounds more of an esc issue than anything. make sure you check the case for any cracks, your wires, ect. i've had similar problems with my novak esc's and most of the time it led straight to the lead that exits the esc and plugs into the receiver. to check all angles i would put the spektrum stuff back in and see if it runs fine or if you are having the same problems. that way you can narrow it down. check your brushess and solder tabs as well as that could be where your problem lies.
gcarrell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

I've seen a bunch of "water/mud" pics of the little truck and number one. They are NOT water proof, nor should they be anywhere near water and mud without major waterproofing. There are articles on this forum that describe what all the waterproofing intails, which is a bunch. From the axle hsngs, steering servo, esc, and switch, receiver, battery, and even the trans should all be "water proofed", before getting anything wet. Even after it is, the drive shaft u-joints should be shot with WD-40 before and after running in water. Also the wheel bearings, front and rear. Sorry to go on and on, but these trucks are like the big ones, and "NOT" compatible with water without a bunch of work. Ron
blckgnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

/\ exactly what i was thinking
.l.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #30

gcarrell2 you from winfield il??? any how yes i know theres alot of water around but... the only thing that what have gotten wet was the foams in the tires because i never went deep enough to get into the axle shafts! i called NOVAK today tech told me to switch channes and see if the servo acted up like the motor speed and it did not so the esc is el broko! im going to call 2mro and se what they want to do... by any chance Ron do you have a receipt?? ill pm you also!

On a side not i picked up 2 sets or 2.2 tires (rc4wd rock stompers & venom ridgelands) for cheap so i mounted up the rock stompers and through them on the truck! Also put 3.5oz weight in each wheel does not look so scale anymore but im interested to see how it will run now!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

nope im from Winfield,MO. its about an hour outside st louis. i know if your looking for something to play in the water, get yourself a traxxas esc. doesnt matter if its brushed/brushless velineon, those things are awesome in water. when i had my slash 4x4 i took it through some deep a$$ puddles to check it out for myself lol. now there was a lot of cleaning work involved and a process with the motor to make sure the system didnt seize afterwards, but was very happy with my end result. and if your going to run in conditions like the awesome pics, i would spend the extra cash to go waterproofed. pick up a waterproof servo as well or DIY to save you money in the end lol. get that puppy fixed and send us some more awesome action shots lol
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Go with a waterproof BRXL, they're really nice. I had a traxxas XL-5 and it really sucked having no drag brake and no instant reverse. It was waterproof and I didn't have any trouble out of it but it didn't really perform very well for a crawler.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #33

yah well im going to see if maybe novak will sen a new one out or what the wanna do and i looked last night the brxls are outta stock again!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4664 View Post
yah well im going to see if maybe novak will sen a new one out or what the wanna do and i looked last night the brxls are outta stock again!
Oh geez. It really doesn't surprise me. They've been out of stock for so long I bet they just got hammered with orders. I ordered 3 of them right when they came back in stock, one for each of my trucks. Die-Laughing ordered two, Johnny ordered one. That guy must make a killing on those things.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
Scale Detail Engineering

Hey Snow, if your going to comp the truck, do not get the Traxxas esc.
Place a wanted ad for a waterproof BR-XL and check the classifieds several times a day if you can... you might get lucky.
It sucks he's sold out so soon.

You can also run other esc's and waterproof them (like the FXR) or even run everything in a waterproof container.

Are you going to make it this Sunday?
If so, we'll figure something out for ya... hell, maybe just pick up someone's discarded AE-2 for cheap and waterproof it.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #36
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
Johnny ordered one.
If I would've had the money at the time, I would've picked up at least 2.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

I've got a Tekin FXR that's been pasti-dipped (waterproofed) I'd be willing to part with if you're interested. I was planning to hang onto it as a spare but I'd sell it if you're in need.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #38

TREY AND JOHNNY: thanks alot but im stuck working this weekend all day both days at the bar, most likely the last time as spring season is approaching fast! i want to come out but i don't see myself making it(bar opens at 11 sunday and ill probaly not get home til 3 or 4)! In regards the the brxl do i need to run a bec with it or not???
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #39

he also has comos as many probaly already know.... should i do a combo when it comes available or just the esc??
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #40
Scale Detail Engineering

Since brushed motors are rebuildable, I've been buying used...
After I bought the BR-XL I started experimenting with some cheap Intigy motors because I had no idea what wind I wanted... for my current set up, I liked the 45t most (currently running a 55t) so now I bought 2 used 14t Puller's (according to JRH they are about the speed of a good 45t handwound).
But when the Neo Puller comes out... I may have to buy a new one

Don't worry about it, we'll get you sorted out before next season starts

Snow's Honcho Build (on a budget) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow's coming...time to hitch the Sleds! ThunderVP Scale Accessories 17 06-05-2012 05:50 PM
Project: Budget Honcho Voteban Axial SCX-10 8 04-27-2010 03:36 PM
Snow's not bad. DeaDShorT Chit Chat 3 02-10-2010 01:08 AM
Budget build cliffclimba:) Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 08-19-2009 10:03 AM
this budget build ok? Bknight Newbie General 10 04-09-2006 10:29 AM