Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Trailer hitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Trailer hitch

I am trying to come up with some ideas to make a trailer hitch on my scx10 hummer but searching around I couldn't find hardly anything so if you have a hitch or any ideas please post up and pics would help alot along with where to find some of the parts. My main issue is the hitch part itself I was thinking key stock but can't figure out anything to fit it into so it can be removed. The rest of the bumper that it will be attached to on mine I am working on know and it will be round solid rod. Thanks for any ideas and help.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Default Re: Trailer hitch

If you posted up a pic of the bumper for us to reference we could give you some ideas. Are you using the stock bumper, custom, other model????
tjispie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjispie View Post
If you posted up a pic of the bumper for us to reference we could give you some ideas. Are you using the stock bumper, custom, other model????
I will post up pics of what I have done so far asap. I am actually working on building it now so I would say fully custom bumper. I asked for suggestions in my build thread of the H2 hummer it is going on but never got a reply. I have a couple of more things to weld up on it then I will take a pic and post it and the welds aren't going to be the best looking but the pic will be before they are cleaned up plus I am not a pro welder.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Here are a few pics of what I have so far. I have got to figure out the hitch part befor I do the rest of it so I don't mess myself up and have to start over or chop something off and redo it.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #5

ok, so after seeing your pics, i'm gonna assume that you want to mount it directly to the bumper you fabbed. for scale purposes i don't think they make box tube small enough, so i would try and box some copper/aluminum tube for the receiver, and shave down round stock to a square that will fit. tap the appropriate holes for the lock and use a body clip to pin it together. the rest of the hitch i would use some bent flat stock for the tongue and a zerk fitting for the ball. This may not be what you are looking for but for what its worth it'll look somewhat scale and would be functional and removable.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I bought some 3/8" square cromoly tube from McMaster Carr and some 1/4" key stock. the fit is a little loose but it's the best I've come across.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant_Xj View Post
I bought some 3/8" square cromoly tube from McMaster Carr and some 1/4" key stock. the fit is a little loose but it's the best I've come across.
That is more like what I was thinking of myself but havn't found anything but the keystock anywhere and know I have seen some that people made so I figured I would ask for ideas.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #8

Square Brass Tube 1/4 (6) (k+s155) K-S Hobby and Craft Metal Tubing 1/4 in square stock

Raw Materials | Key Stock | 6mm Square Metric Keystock, Gold Dichromate Finish, 12" Length (Pack of 6) | B512496 - GlobalIndustrial.com 6mm keystock

Should fit leaves you about .35mm of play..... good luck man this has given me ideas!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #9

I got the dinky rc hitch. They have a website. I use it to pull two trailers. The hitch and ball slide out. I'm currently making another hitch insert to have a Clevis to it. The dinky rc hitch hooks to the frame of scx 10. So it does not matter on bumper unless it sticks out way too dar
Avyman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I came up with a cheap easy idea today with a friend that I am going to try and I have no idea why I haven't thought about it sooner. Take two sockets 1/4 inch drive grind a slot for your pin to go through cut the socket part off weld them together then grind them square and hook them to a flat piece of metal and hook it up to your bumper the way you need it. No slack with 1/4 inch key stock and very durable + easy and cheap. I figure by the time I am done with the bumper and hitch not counting time I will have less than $10 in it.

Trailer hitch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trailer hitch NEW YORK BOY Scale Accessories 4 02-09-2012 10:17 PM
trailer hitch tundrafan01 Scale Accessories 3 05-27-2011 03:57 PM
trailer hitch buzz1436 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 01-25-2010 07:51 PM