Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: best mods to maximize scx10 crawling capabilities?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default best mods to maximize scx10 crawling capabilities?

Hey guys, i have an scx10, and coming from driving a super, i've wanted to do a few mods to make mine a lot more comp capable, and i dont mind taking away from the scale look a bit. i already run no bumpers/fenders/rock sliders, have 2.2's with stiffer cut foams, 1/2lb on front axle 1/4lb on rear, battery tray relocated across the chassis on the front end, steel integy driveshafts and diffs, all waterproof, and other small things here and there. I love beefy trucks, so i dont mind pushing this to around 10lb if needed.

im looking for ways to get more articulation (i've removed the bump stops and have longer alloy Duratraxx shocks), but with the current configuration my rear 4-link upper hits on the chassis brace that holds together the rear shock hoops. angling my shock in towards the center of the chassis would just soften my suspension, not give me more flex, correct? would lifting the chassis up an inch and angling the shocks work?

I've been looking into a dig unit as well as i've seen how useful they are, but it seems if i flick my throttle i can kinda spin the tires and do a little fake dig... If i were to overdrive my front axle, would that give me roughly the same benefits of a dig, but without the actual unit? or am i just better off buying a reputable dig unit(for 2x the price of overdrive gears plus a new tx/rx)?

what mods have you done to purely increase crawling performance of your truck? scale or not scale, doesnt' matter.
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Do the xr mod

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: best mods to maximize scx10 crawling capabilities?

Stock shocks are just fine on these things and offer more than enough articulation. Too much more and you are lookin good but performing like garbage. Put battery and all electronics up front, weight the front tires a bit and then learn to drive and you will have all you can handle out of that thing!!! OH...and have fun!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Stock shocks are just fine on these things and offer more than enough articulation. Too much more and you are lookin good but performing like garbage. Put battery and all electronics up front, weight the front tires a bit and then learn to drive and you will have all you can handle out of that thing!!! OH...and have fun!
Matt
good advice, i learned the fine line of too much and just right articulation from my super. after closer inspection i realized i just need to get myself some super soft springs, as i still have another 1/4" of shock to use and my springs feel a little tight. i flex just under the height of a 2.2 Badlands tire right now, almost perfect.

I still need to find some sticky weights for my front tires, all i have for weights are lead blocks i hammer into size. i mount a 1/2lb on top of the steering servo and the 1/4lb on the rear axle.

What is the XR mod? that is some major steering. my alloy servo horn will definitly let me turn past the point where the stock hubs hang up on the axle.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

It's xr10 knuckles and shafts
Irmoxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I went with 4ws, using VP's 8 degree stuff and Rc4wd xvds the rock crawling is awesome. I just put dig on and an overdrive in the front. I am not sure about the dig or OD. I am going to give it a little time. The dig is a lot of weight on the rig the it is not as nimble now.
MntnHntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb View Post
Do the xr mod

Just courious what's the xr mod?
04sti20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Xr10 shafts chubs and knuckles on ax10 axle housing.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #9

I just put a set of Pitbull Rock Beasts on my SCX10 and it is a crawling beast now.
eborgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Does it use the U-joint axles? Are the AX and XR axles the same width or are some mods necessary?
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

This mod give you tighter steering angle? I've done a similar mod on my drift car to give me a really higher steering angle.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It uses the xr10 ujoint axles. If you use long beef tubes you don't have to modify the shafts. I used standard beef tubes and cut down each shaft 11mm. It gives you 45* steering and infinitely adjustable caster.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It uses the xr10 ujoint axles. If you use long beef tubes you don't have to modify the shafts. I used standard beef tubes and cut down each shaft 11mm. It gives you 45* steering and infinitely adjustable caster.
Assuming you cut down the shafts and just ground new flats for the locker to engage?

Here's my mods, keep it simple, keep the weight low, mod for durability, drive well and you'll do well.

Natedog's Honcho kit build
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irmoxj View Post
It's xr10 knuckles and shafts
thats interesting, i have always noticed that my front hubs hit off my axle when turned all the way to either side. my servo will go another 1/4".
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Stupid question, but have you mirrored your trans? easily the best thing thats free..
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
Stupid question, but have you mirrored your trans? easily the best thing thats free..
Yes i did it yesterday, i oiled all the driveshafts back up afterwards and it seemed to put a bit more pressure on my front axle, it got a bit of bind to it. not really noticeable while driving, only when it was picked up. seems better now that its worked in. i did notice a reduction in torue twist though. not completely eliminated, but i don't mind a bit.

by far one of the best performance mods ive done was relocating the battery right behind the front shock mounts. it allowed me to take a 1/4lb off my front axle and put it on my rear, it really helps to plant the truck back in place when a tire lifts. of course its all much more noticeable with properly cut foams and nice tires. Does anyone use the 2.2 proline Badlands tire? its like a MX tire but super squishy compound. i love em!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0160 View Post
thats interesting, i have always noticed that my front hubs hit off my axle when turned all the way to either side. my servo will go another 1/4".
With aluminum hubs you eliminate that steerstop and you can trim your dogbone cups 2mm and steer almost as far as the xr mod.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
With aluminum hubs you eliminate that steerstop and you can trim your dogbone cups 2mm and steer almost as far as the xr mod.

ahh i wasn't quite sure about trimming the dogbone cups. they are in the way, but i was thinking that if trimmed them they would slide out when the suspension is decompressed... but i forgot its a solid axle and its not going anywhere does this work with 2.2 wheels? the piece that sticks off the hub where its connected to the stock dingo steering bar is about 1/16" away from my rim already. do the aluminum ones clear better? do i need to modify my steering bar?

Also, my 2.2s hit my shocks when fully turned to either side, is there a DIY method to widen my front axle a bit to get a bit more steering out of it?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0160 View Post
ahh i wasn't quite sure about trimming the dogbone cups. they are in the way, but i was thinking that if trimmed them they would slide out when the suspension is decompressed... but i forgot its a solid axle and its not going anywhere does this work with 2.2 wheels? the piece that sticks off the hub where its connected to the stock dingo steering bar is about 1/16" away from my rim already. do the aluminum ones clear better? do i need to modify my steering bar?

Also, my 2.2s hit my shocks when fully turned to either side, is there a DIY method to widen my front axle a bit to get a bit more steering out of it?
Ill get some pics of my other axle with shaved cups tonight.

The xr mod also widens your track about .25"

best mods to maximize scx10 crawling capabilities? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capabilities? foratm RC4WD Trail Finder 2 31 02-28-2012 01:58 PM
New to crawling, what mods? znaky85 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 01-07-2012 10:26 PM
Maximize Steering Angle CHRIZAD Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 07-21-2009 10:24 PM
Capabilities bigdodge88 Tools, and Procedures 4 02-18-2009 11:38 AM
New to r/c crawling... Check out my Mods so far! S10XtremeSR General Crawlers 26 03-22-2006 11:55 AM