Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Cherokee build - Very Scale - SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cherokee build - Very Scale - SCX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinf View Post
Hey, thanks for the the helpful replays. I reread the entire thread and realized you already explained what you did. .. my bad.

Stock esc, and I lowered my battery tray. Nw I'm having a hard time with the wires pushing the interior up. Im going to deal with that and then ill be at the "shock" stage. I may try the droop kit, its only $15 and gives many mounting options for the shocks.

I will certainly come here with pics or a link to the pics. It shouldn't be long now. I just needs to choose a light system. Maybe the axial night vision or one similar. Know of any? I used your tail light idea and am planning on adding all the amber lights.

Thanks again!
Yea, you have to move stuff around untill it clears the interior. I had to heat up (with a heat gun) and push in the right corner of the passenger floor to clear a piece but it's not noticeable.

The droop kit will make lowering easy if your not using the Proline floorpan.

I used this light system, it's basic (on or off) and it's cheep.
Super Bright Scale Light System 2
Spidernad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidernad View Post

I think I will be going back to the 100mm shocks but cutting some shorter springs for them so it will still sit low but will allow the suspension to travel down.
i know my XJ sits quite low in its suspension, has tons of droop travel tho
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Wow thanks.. I've Ben looking all over for a cheap light system like that .. I even checked that site with no luck. Im going to pair that system with a single break light/reverse light unit to get the break and reverse effect.

You really have this all figured out don't you? You seen like an encyclopedia of scaling parts and info. The only thing I have going for me is my modeling background. This is the first time I combine rc and modeling. Its so rewarding.

One problem ... I briefly panicked for a second while cutting wired and moving stuff.. I thought "am I ever going to drive this again?? " I'm scared of breaking something. Mostly the rear view mirrors..
Dustinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wow thanks.. I've Ben looking all over for a cheap light system like that .. I even checked that site with no luck. Im going to pair that system with a single break light/reverse light unit to get the break and reverse effect.
I want to do a better light system including turn signals, brake lights, backup lights, parking lights, but I have to stay with a cheap setup for now till I find some more money. lol, If only I could get a bunch of people to click on my YouTube videos adds I would have enough money to build and post about some really cool stuff. lol

Quote:

You really have this all figured out don't you? You seen like an encyclopedia of scaling parts and info. The only thing I have going for me is my modeling background. This is the first time I combine rc and modeling. Its so rewarding.
I just have a lot of mechanical experience and love to research things.
I can't wait to see your city model!

Quote:
One problem ... I briefly panicked for a second while cutting wired and moving stuff.. I thought "am I ever going to drive this again?? " I'm scared of breaking something. Mostly the rear view mirrors..
lol, You have to break some eggs to make an omelet.
Oh, so you have mirrors? I'm not sure if I am going to put any on unless I can find some that look like the real ones.

BTW, are you from Berlin USA or Germany?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

I've been trying to find a three link mount for the front that has zero play. The stock plastic one gets very loose after a short while and most of the metal aftermarket ones are not that good.

After buying a couple different kinds I found this one from 3Racing that bolted together at the ball joint so I was able to take it apart and rework it to make it tighter.

I flipped the silver piece over and hand cut a new socket, making it shallower than the one they had on the other side. Then I used an Axial steel ball pivot, greased it up and it reassembled it and it now has almost zero play.

On the Comanche that I am going to build as a twin to this Cherokee I have a RC4WD chassis mount steering servo kit that I will try out so I can use a 4-Link setup in the front too, as I hate 3-link setups.
https://store.rc4wd.com/-Steering-se...10_p_1419.html

Last edited by Spidernad; 06-21-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

I just installed that cms setup in my Dingo. I really like it. I had to shorten the ..the... (whatever the dam steering arm is called) and it took some tuning in the mounting of the servo but nothing you won't be able to figure out. I built some links and 4 linked the front and it works good and basically no bumpsteer.
BubbaEinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaEinstein View Post
I just installed that cms setup in my Dingo. I really like it. I had to shorten the ..the... (whatever the dam steering arm is called) and it took some tuning in the mounting of the servo but nothing you won't be able to figure out. I built some links and 4 linked the front and it works good and basically no bumpsteer.
Cool, can hardly wait to install mine and four link the front too.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

FIRST VIDEO!!!

This is the first test run on the Cherokee with open differentials front and rear (no lockers).

After some trial and error, I have finally got the shocks sorted out so it sits low like a stock Cherokee but still has full suspension travel. The desired result was achieved by using the 100mm RC4WD scale shocks with their 50% softer springs cut and reworked about 40% shorter.

As I expected, the open diffs make it much more challengeing to climb or navigate soft terrain.
It removed the binding when turning and makes the truck ride very smooth.
This test was with small stock tires that are pretty hard and very light (no weight added), and it went better than I imagined it would.
When I put the weighted and no foam RC4WD Mud Thrashers on it should perform even better.

Last edited by Spidernad; 06-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #109
RCC Addict

cool vid! its definately interesting to see it have near stock capability

one Q tho, do you think it would be possible to make the rear diff have an amount of limited slip like a 1:1? maybe a fibre washer/shim on each of the spider gears maybe??

because i know my xj has a lsd in it, and pretty sure most in australia do. not sure about US.

reason im so interested in this build, is i plan to do one myself over the next few months once im done with my big scale ford. and ill be going to the effort to get it as realistic as is possible, leaf rear, 2part steering, panhard, divorced coil/shock etc..

keep it up! im watching.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #110
Rock Crawler

i was surprised by how capable it was and love when it was articulating the wheel in the air was spinning free, very cool.
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #111
RCC Addict

are you thinking of switching to rear leaf at all?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

Loving the scale aspect of this build. What's the rig weighing in at? Seems to have similar distribution and movement similar to a 1:1.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
cool vid! its definately interesting to see it have near stock capability

one Q tho, do you think it would be possible to make the rear diff have an amount of limited slip like a 1:1? maybe a fibre washer/shim on each of the spider gears maybe??

because i know my xj has a lsd in it, and pretty sure most in australia do. not sure about US.

reason im so interested in this build, is i plan to do one myself over the next few months once im done with my big scale ford. and ill be going to the effort to get it as realistic as is possible, leaf rear, 2part steering, panhard, divorced coil/shock etc..

keep it up! im watching.
I'm pretty sure there would be a way to limit the slip in the diff, I've been thinking about it since you first mentioned it. Maybe as simple as putting a spring on the small side gears shaft between the two gears. I know when I assembled the two diffs one was tight because I reused the old gasket and tightened the four screws a tiny bit much and it was squeezing the big gears against the small ones too much. It would have limited some slip but it was not in a good way as the gears were meshing too tight and probably would have eventually damaged them. I put in a new gasket and it was smooth and free then. Any shims would cause the same problem, but a spring where I mentioned would push the gears away from each other and into the case so it wouldn't affect the gear mesh but might limit the slip. I'll mess around with the next two for the Comanche and let you know if I find an easy method.

Also, many of the 1:1 XJ's in the US have a limited slip in the rear, same as AUS.

I'd like to see how you go with your Cherokee project, it's very ambitious what your planning, I wish you good luck, keep me posted.

Last edited by Spidernad; 06-25-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrockcrawler View Post
i was surprised by how capable it was and love when it was articulating the wheel in the air was spinning free, very cool.
Thanks, I was pretty happy with the outcome myself. Still more tweaking to go, and I've started on it's twin Comanche brother too.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
are you thinking of switching to rear leaf at all?
Not on this one, I'll leave that one for your build, would be cool though.
I have a full leaf project in the plans for the near future, after I finish the Comanche (and find some more money). It's TOP SECRET though! lol
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvghostrider View Post
Loving the scale aspect of this build. What's the rig weighing in at? Seems to have similar distribution and movement similar to a 1:1.
Thanks, I went ahead and threw it on the scale for you, it's just about 5lbs. now. With the weighted Mud Thrashers it would add about 2 more pounds bringing it to about 7lbs, and adding more weight to the front than rear.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

Nice. Strange how it's hard to keep adding weight to scalers without making an enormous model. Watching this one happily.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #118
RCC Addict

good stuff man, ill be sure to link ya up when i start mine. im trading some services for parts, most of an old HSP(Axial AX) roller as a starting point. already got a set of 1.55 mtz tires, and a few other bits n bobs. and, im getting a drill press soon, and want to turn it into a bit of a mill. so definately got the potential for some fairly accurate scale replicated parts!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #119
Rock Stacker

Man this thing is awesome, you may have just inspired a "very scale" build of my own, everything about it is appealing. But don't worry, i'll try my hardest not to copy you Good work..and did I hear scale comanche?? I'd like to see that
xjcralwer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcralwer7 View Post
Man this thing is awesome, you may have just inspired a "very scale" build of my own, everything about it is appealing. But don't worry, i'll try my hardest not to copy you Good work..and did I hear scale comanche?? I'd like to see that
Thanks man!

Don't worry about copying any aspects of this build, remember, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".
These threads are for sharing ideas and visions, so I'd be honored if anyone thought enough of my work to use it in there own build.

And yes, I've already started on the Comanche, the twin brother to this Cherokee. Everything I learned in this build will go into that one.

Tags
cherokee, jeep, pro-line, proline, scx10

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/383358-cherokee-build-very-scale-scx10.html
Posted By For Type Date
Comanche & Cherokee RC Scalers Music Video - YouTube This thread Refback 03-04-2013 08:20 PM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-26-2013 04:21 AM
SCX10 Cherokee Scale Brakes & Lugs Upgrade - YouTube This thread Refback 02-14-2013 07:24 PM

Cherokee build - Very Scale - SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Cherokee Scale Build jeff1986 Axial SCX-10 7 02-28-2013 07:52 PM
XJ Jeep Cherokee SCX10 Build rusty577 Axial SCX-10 1 03-03-2011 10:15 AM
SCX10 TR (Trail Ready) or build a scale. mmikeclass06 General Scale Talk 11 10-25-2009 10:02 AM