Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: How to do the narrow XR10 mod to Axial axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How to do the narrow XR10 mod to Axial axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigambo263 View Post
i am happy with it : it made my steering radius 2 times smaller:
If you installed zero ackerman steering arms your steering would be even better. Both tires will point the same angle all the time.

Red lines show the angle of the tires with the curved arms on the XR/Wraith knuckles (like you have it now), blue lines show the angle of the tires with the zero ackerman steering arms installed

Blue lines are using these here

I did this mod a long time ago and still think it is one of the best mods you can do to these things. Bunch of info and pictures from when I did it here

Last edited by Ramination; 02-13-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #82

Ok guys, I've seen it somewhere and after going thru this thread about 3 times now, can't find it either. When doing this shortened mod using the VP wraith C-hubs and knuckles, how much exactly am I cutting off the end of the VP VVD front shafts?? I'm just waiting for my RC Bros brass splined burly tubes to come and then I'm into it.
brighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #83

When I did mine I used the xr10 uni's and i think it was about 1cm approximately. The way I did mine was to have the diff case in half with the chub's, knuckles, cvd's installed. Then measure the length required so the cvd axle part got to about 3 mm from the centre of the diff locker. This gave enough room to ensure clearance from each cvd in the middle.

Take your time when filing down the new flat to go into the locker, the first one i did I went a bit too far and created some slop.
amec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by amec View Post
When I did mine I used the xr10 uni's and i think it was about 1cm approximately. The way I did mine was to have the diff case in half with the chub's, knuckles, cvd's installed. Then measure the length required so the cvd axle part got to about 3 mm from the centre of the diff locker. This gave enough room to ensure clearance from each cvd in the middle.

Take your time when filing down the new flat to go into the locker, the first one i did I went a bit too far and created some slop.
That and I would file the extended axle flats to kinda match the existing flats, make them a little snug fit in the locker, then cut axles to length.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #85

Ok, so having a go at filing down the first VP shaft and noticed it has a slight shoulder and the original diameter of the end part with the flat is marginally thinner than the rest of the shaft.

Do I have to reduce this shaft diameter where the new flat spots are filed or will it still fit inside the locker(ome axial locker)??

I wanted to try and work out what I'm doing before I actually cut the shaft to length.
Heres a pic of what I've done so far... keeping in mind I've not gone to an exact same flat as original just yet... want to try and get it a snug fit to reduce the chance of slop in the locker.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #86

Just test fit it into the locker and see if its good.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

What bent steering links work well with this mod?
Jeff@TireBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #88

Dont know if there is an off the shelf link made for this mod. I used a 110mm link, original steering link i think with a 33mm link added. Then bent to clear the pumpkin.

I tried 4mm threaded rod but it bends out of shape when the steering is bound up and the Hitec 7955 forces the issue....
Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

If you sleeve the rod it becomes more durable. Who wants off the shelf parts?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighty View Post
Ok guys, I've seen it somewhere and after going thru this thread about 3 times now, can't find it either. When doing this shortened mod using the VP wraith C-hubs and knuckles, how much exactly am I cutting off the end of the VP VVD front shafts?? I'm just waiting for my RC Bros brass splined burly tubes to come and then I'm into it.
You might want to wait till you get the splined brass tubes from RC Bros. Unless you are cutting the tubes down, the stock length VVDs are what you want without cutting them down. Makes your track width about 3/4" to 7/8" wider. I use the aluminum tubes and had to just hit the ends with a file...just one of those red hairs too long...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
You might want to wait till you get the splined brass tubes from RC Bros. Unless you are cutting the tubes down, the stock length VVDs are what you want without cutting them down. Makes your track width about 3/4" to 7/8" wider. I use the aluminum tubes and had to just hit the ends with a file...just one of those red hairs too long...
Yeah have ordered the shorter burly tubes so will be doing the cut down diff mod anyways once they arrive. Got an email this arv to say they've been shipped so I'm guessing 2 wks until I see them here in OZ.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighty View Post
Yeah have ordered the shorter burly tubes so will be doing the cut down diff mod anyways once they arrive. Got an email this arv to say they've been shipped so I'm guessing 2 wks until I see them here in OZ.
Good deal...I'd still wait before cutting
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by amec View Post
Dont know if there is an off the shelf link made for this mod. I used a 110mm link, original steering link i think with a 33mm link added. Then bent to clear the pumpkin.

I tried 4mm threaded rod but it bends out of shape when the steering is bound up and the Hitec 7955 forces the issue....
VP sells Ti links threaded on both ends, buy a couple in the size range you think and bend it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Good deal...I'd still wait before cutting
Yes.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

How would I go about eliminating the 1/2" of extra front track width? I'm very close to the front inner tires extending past the outside of the body on my 1.9 scaler. I have all the parts to do this MOD, but want to make sure I'll tech out in an inspection?

Thanks for any help
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #95
Rock Stacker

I completed this mod today. Is it normal for it to "wheel hop" a little at full steering lock? I tested it out in my living room tonight and it turns awesome, but it has a hop almost like something is binding. Do the unis need breaking in? or is it the carpet making it do this? I ran it on tile and wood deck and it helped a little but still "hopped" at full lock. Any advice is appreciated!!
TrimbleTractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't call it "normal" but yes it does happen when at full lock and turning past the usable angle of the universal. Might wanna back your epa down a bit or only use full lock when needed at low throttle.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Yeah you're basically going past the unable amount of steering on the universals without modifying them (Dlux in the vendors mods them to be smooth up to 70*). Make some steering stops or set your EPAs.

Very similar to how when you max out steering on the stock dogbones, its hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
How would I go about eliminating the 1/2" of extra front track width? I'm very close to the front inner tires extending past the outside of the body on my 1.9 scaler. I have all the parts to do this MOD, but want to make sure I'll tech out in an inspection?

Thanks for any help

Only thing I can think of would be custom narrowed wraith housings. Can't really narrow the scx10 housing any more to get that 1/2" back. Unless you can find some better offset wheels. that'd help too
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #98
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured it was the unis binding, because the xr mod has sooo much throw! I will just drive around it for now.. Im headed over to check out the dlux unis now.
TrimbleTractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #99
RCC Addict

Thread tag for wanting to take on this mod as well
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Has anyone done this mod with cms? I have cms and have ordered the parts to do this and was a little concerned.
scott83 is offline   Reply With Quote

How to do the narrow XR10 mod to Axial axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR10 Mod for AX10 Axles Parts List WooPigSooie Axial AX-10 Scorpion 96 01-30-2016 12:23 PM
how to narrow axial axles. Brian in MI 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 04-14-2009 04:12 PM
anyone ever narrow axial axles? kuatto Newbie General 1 03-31-2008 09:38 PM